The Student Room Group

Difference between lecture and seminar

Just got my university timetable and I don't know what the difference between a lecture and a seminar is - I thought they were just the same?
Reply 1
A lecture is where you sit at the room and the person at the front speaks and you take notes. A seminar is much more interactive and involves student participation with information and ideas coming from all corners.
Reply 2
Lectures are large - depending on subject can have 200+, with one person talking and students taking notes. Usually last between an hour and two hours. Seminars are much smaller (typically up to 20), involve students more (discussing papers, undertaking a task, group work etc). Seminars often relate to a specific lecture and allow for more detailed exploration of issues covered in the initial lecture.
Pretty much as above, although there is sometimes interaction in lectures depending on the lecturers style and such.
Reply 4
Firstly, what subject are you doing? It will vary depending on this.

In a discipline such as a modern foreign language, lectures are as equally small as the tutorials. In economics, tutorials have no student interaction whatsoever; you're sat there while the TA writes up solutions on the board and leaves once he's done.
Reply 5
Original post by .ACS.
Firstly, what subject are you doing? It will vary depending on this.

In a discipline such as a modern foreign language, lectures are as equally small as the tutorials. In economics, tutorials have no student interaction whatsoever; you're sat there while the TA writes up solutions on the board and leaves once he's done.

Wait, he said seminar. Isn't there a difference? I have both seminars and tutorials.
Seminars are generally more interactive and in the case of my university are generally optional. But go to them, so so useful.
Reply 7
Original post by Puritan
Wait, he said seminar. Isn't there a difference? I have both seminars and tutorials.

It depends entirely on the university. Some universities use the word tutorial, others use the word seminar. They're pretty much the same thing at an undergraduate level - i.e.: small groups of students where you'll go over specific topics, and either you get the opportunity to discuss the topic in an open environment or the TA spoon-feeds you.
Reply 8
Original post by .ACS.
It depends entirely on the university. Some universities use the word tutorial, others use the word seminar. They're pretty much the same thing at an undergraduate level - i.e.: small groups of students where you'll go over specific topics, and either you get the opportunity to discuss the topic in an open environment or the TA spoon-feeds you.

Leeds uses both. I have both (what Leeds calls) seminars and tutorials. But I get your point.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest