Difference between lecture and seminar Watch

calvie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Just got my university timetable and I don't know what the difference between a lecture and a seminar is - I thought they were just the same?
moorw003
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A lecture is where you sit at the room and the person at the front speaks and you take notes. A seminar is much more interactive and involves student participation with information and ideas coming from all corners.
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lectures are large - depending on subject can have 200+, with one person talking and students taking notes. Usually last between an hour and two hours. Seminars are much smaller (typically up to 20), involve students more (discussing papers, undertaking a task, group work etc). Seminars often relate to a specific lecture and allow for more detailed exploration of issues covered in the initial lecture.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pretty much as above, although there is sometimes interaction in lectures depending on the lecturers style and such.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly, what subject are you doing? It will vary depending on this.

In a discipline such as a modern foreign language, lectures are as equally small as the tutorials. In economics, tutorials have no student interaction whatsoever; you're sat there while the TA writes up solutions on the board and leaves once he's done.
Puritan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
Firstly, what subject are you doing? It will vary depending on this.

In a discipline such as a modern foreign language, lectures are as equally small as the tutorials. In economics, tutorials have no student interaction whatsoever; you're sat there while the TA writes up solutions on the board and leaves once he's done.
Wait, he said seminar. Isn't there a difference? I have both seminars and tutorials.
truechristian91
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seminars are generally more interactive and in the case of my university are generally optional. But go to them, so so useful.
.ACS.
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Puritan)
Wait, he said seminar. Isn't there a difference? I have both seminars and tutorials.
It depends entirely on the university. Some universities use the word tutorial, others use the word seminar. They're pretty much the same thing at an undergraduate level - i.e.: small groups of students where you'll go over specific topics, and either you get the opportunity to discuss the topic in an open environment or the TA spoon-feeds you.
Puritan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
It depends entirely on the university. Some universities use the word tutorial, others use the word seminar. They're pretty much the same thing at an undergraduate level - i.e.: small groups of students where you'll go over specific topics, and either you get the opportunity to discuss the topic in an open environment or the TA spoon-feeds you.
Leeds uses both. I have both (what Leeds calls) seminars and tutorials. But I get your point.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.77%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (634)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise