The Student Room Group

A Level Results Dilemma - PLEASE HELP, URGENT

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Your head of year sounds like a real idiot!! telling you to just find any old uni to go to avoid fees. I would retake some of your modules in January to boost your grades, and in the mean time bulk up your CV a bit. Remember better grades, means better uni and probably a better job, with a better salary which means you can pay off the higher fees faster. At the end of the day it's better to get into a better uni next year regardless of fees, than get into a crap uni this year with lower fees. Good luck!! :smile:
Original post by OnyxNation
Your head of year sounds like a real idiot!! telling you to just find any old uni to go to avoid fees. I would retake some of your modules in January to boost your grades, and in the mean time bulk up your CV a bit. Remember better grades, means better uni and probably a better job, with a better salary which means you can pay off the higher fees faster. At the end of the day it's better to get into a better uni next year regardless of fees, than get into a crap uni this year with lower fees. Good luck!! :smile:

Thanks :smile: yeah I think he's an idiot, he seems more concerned about results and who goes where rather than our interests. I don't want to go just anywhere and no uni is taking me anyway.

I'm thinking I might retake or do alternative qualifications. Also I've applied for part-time jobs and I've gotta do an assessment next month, so at least there's something. I might even carry on doing a bit of writing for an online magazine for a while.
Reply 62
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Wow, that's pretty amazing about your friend. So is uni really that much easier than A Levels?

I also got very poor A Levels, and thought about maybe doing an access course to get into uni, but worried that this would seem like cheating since I maybe should have just gotten the right grades in A Levels in the first place.

I don't know about easier...she enjoyed uni a lot more than A-levels because it was the subject she really wanted to do (computers). Saying that she got an E in it at A-level so I don't know really what happened. She still dossed around loads I think at uni. But she's pretty amazing at computers so pulled her finger out in the last year and got a 2.1. That plus her portfolio she was sorted jobs wise!

I found uni easier than A-levels in a lot of ways...it didn't really feel like work a lot of the time because it's the subject you've chosen to study. No more having to divide yourself 3/4 ways.

Well it's really up to you and what your priorities are, whether you'd like the satisfaction of having "good A-levels" or not. I don't think it's cheating! I know a couple of people who came to uni through Access courses and they seem to be doing just fine, same as everyone else. And as I was trying to point out - what matters most to employers etc is your highest level of education to date. The quicker you get a degree, the quicker you'll be impressive to them.
Original post by derp
I don't know about easier...she enjoyed uni a lot more than A-levels because it was the subject she really wanted to do (computers). Saying that she got an E in it at A-level so I don't know really what happened. She still dossed around loads I think at uni. But she's pretty amazing at computers so pulled her finger out in the last year and got a 2.1. That plus her portfolio she was sorted jobs wise!

I found uni easier than A-levels in a lot of ways...it didn't really feel like work a lot of the time because it's the subject you've chosen to study. No more having to divide yourself 3/4 ways.

Well it's really up to you and what your priorities are, whether you'd like the satisfaction of having "good A-levels" or not. I don't think it's cheating! I know a couple of people who came to uni through Access courses and they seem to be doing just fine, same as everyone else. And as I was trying to point out - what matters most to employers etc is your highest level of education to date. The quicker you get a degree, the quicker you'll be impressive to them.

Ah OK, that is very insightful to hear. Thank you :yy:

It's just that I often hear stuff like people with D grades and below at A Level shouldn't be going to uni because they wouldn't cope with the work or something, but then you come out with an awesome story like that. I guess it's not all black and white then, eh? :smile:
UPDATE:

I've decided that I will probably not go to uni this year - nowhere will take me anyway.

I'm considering retaking - either AS year or A2 year - or doing new subjects but I'm not sure. I did a lot of retakes during 6th form and they made no difference. The point of retaking is to improve grades but there is no point in retaking if it wont make a difference.

I will probably not go back to my old 6th form, so I will be going somewhere new - a fresh start. I'm still unsure though.

Also, I'm considering alternative qualifications. I'm thinking of possibly doing alternative to A Levels, or doing qualifications to get into the careers I want (e.g. Chartered Institute of Marketing qualification)

Please help, I'm slightly lost right now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by Dee Leigh
UPDATE:

I've decided that I will probably not go to uni this year - nowhere will take me anyway.

I'm considering retaking - either AS year or A2 year - or doing new subjects but I'm not sure. I did a lot of retakes during 6th form and they made no difference. The point of retaking is to improve grades but there is no point in retaking if it wont make a difference.

I will probably not go back to my old 6th form, so I will be going somewhere new - a fresh start. I'm still unsure though.

Also, I'm considering alternative qualifications. I'm thinking of possibly doing alternative to A Levels, or doing qualifications to get into the careers I want (e.g. Chartered Institute of Marketing qualification)

I was in the exact same situation last year, with the same grades. I decided to retake two of my a-levels, including coursework and I didn't have to pay, not sure if it's similar for you? Anyway, i worked part time, and managed to increase my grade in history from a d to an a and increased my other grades as well. Ultimately, you have to decide what you think you'd be happiest doing, your school seems pretty unhelpful and it might be worthwhile going somewhere more supportive :smile: good luck with what you decide to do! x
Reply 66
Sadly it often isnt effort that gives high grades, its technique. But thats a different note.

I got rubbish A levels at the end of As and whilst i didnt resit sixth form, im going to do a mix of a levels and as levels next year and will more than likely have a whole year to pee away. Look at it that way, you have a year to do a bit of studying, but equally a year to go up to your mates uni's for visits which will result in some 'heck of a' night outs. Doing a job to get cash as well is another option which is what im doing.

Fee's are something you shouldnt worry out. With the repayment scheme and how extended it is, it means that inflation will make the 9,000 around the same as the 3,000. However it wouldnt make the views the media wants if sky news said 'Dont worry, its actually no different to the 3,000 pound fees all things considered, dont panic and we wont do any more on this story given it doesnt merit any more time'
Original post by TheDubs
Sadly it often isnt effort that gives high grades, its technique. But thats a different note.

I got rubbish A levels at the end of As and whilst i didnt resit sixth form, im going to do a mix of a levels and as levels next year and will more than likely have a whole year to pee away. Look at it that way, you have a year to do a bit of studying, but equally a year to go up to your mates uni's for visits which will result in some 'heck of a' night outs. Doing a job to get cash as well is another option which is what im doing.

Fee's are something you shouldnt worry out. With the repayment scheme and how extended it is, it means that inflation will make the 9,000 around the same as the 3,000. However it wouldnt make the views the media wants if sky news said 'Dont worry, its actually no different to the 3,000 pound fees all things considered, dont panic and we wont do any more on this story given it doesnt merit any more time'

What are good techniques?
Original post by dswift
I was in the exact same situation last year, with the same grades. I decided to retake two of my a-levels, including coursework and I didn't have to pay, not sure if it's similar for you? Anyway, i worked part time, and managed to increase my grade in history from a d to an a and increased my other grades as well. Ultimately, you have to decide what you think you'd be happiest doing, your school seems pretty unhelpful and it might be worthwhile going somewhere more supportive :smile: good luck with what you decide to do! x

Thanks. :smile: I researching colleges at the moment and I will contact them at the beginning of next week. Also I've applied for loads of part-time jobs and I have been asked to come to an assessment so hopefully that should go well. I am just worried that retaking might not make a difference which has been the case over the past two years of studying A Levels.

Also I think it should still be free, I am under 19 (I'm 18) so I think I should be fine but I will try to speak to colleges.

Also when you got better grades what did you end up doing?
Reply 69
What are good techniques?

Things that help you remember the small parts of the course that examiners mark you on. In my first year of AS, i revised my subjects inside out and knew it from head to toe. However, i didnt revise to remember the key words - meaning that I wrote correct answers - but due to the lack of key words there was no markers for examiners to give me credit on - giving me d's and e's.

This year I ammended that and revised key words, and little of the actually syllabus. This is cheap and it means that you (wrongly in an education system) dont know much about the course, but hey, you know key words. I ended up getting higher grades. C's and B's. I hope to push these up to b's and a's next year but due to having to do four exams in the summer and having to do a BTEC course as well I got time strapped. Heres hoping we all can get high grades and make the most of next year.
UPDATE:

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. Left 6th form with D,D,E and couldn't get into any unis. After feeling pretty sorry for myself for a while I signed up to my local college to do A-levels again. I choose I mix of stuff I'd done previously and a new subject. I found college suited me much better and my previous failure definitely helped me focus on what I wanted to achieve.

I left last year with AAB and I'm heading to uni in september. I also managed to find a pretty decent job while I was studying, which not only was good for the experience but meant I could build up some savings and also have a guaranteed job for when Im back in the holidays.

It was hard work, but I am really pleased ive ending up going this route as I now feel I'm far more prepared for uni than I was, and far more likely to be a success when I get there!
Original post by TheDubs
Things that help you remember the small parts of the course that examiners mark you on. In my first year of AS, i revised my subjects inside out and knew it from head to toe. However, i didnt revise to remember the key words - meaning that I wrote correct answers - but due to the lack of key words there was no markers for examiners to give me credit on - giving me d's and e's.

This year I ammended that and revised key words, and little of the actually syllabus. This is cheap and it means that you (wrongly in an education system) dont know much about the course, but hey, you know key words. I ended up getting higher grades. C's and B's. I hope to push these up to b's and a's next year but due to having to do four exams in the summer and having to do a BTEC course as well I got time strapped. Heres hoping we all can get high grades and make the most of next year.

To be honest this is kind of what I hate about the education system. I feel that it's become more about remember information for the exam, writing down what the examiner wants to read and 'how many marks to I need to get a certain grade?' It doesn't feel so much like learning anymore.
Original post by Party55511
I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago. Left 6th form with D,D,E and couldn't get into any unis. After feeling pretty sorry for myself for a while I signed up to my local college to do A-levels again. I choose I mix of stuff I'd done previously and a new subject. I found college suited me much better and my previous failure definitely helped me focus on what I wanted to achieve.

I left last year with AAB and I'm heading to uni in september. I also managed to find a pretty decent job while I was studying, which not only was good for the experience but meant I could build up some savings and also have a guaranteed job for when Im back in the holidays.

It was hard work, but I am really pleased ive ending up going this route as I now feel I'm far more prepared for uni than I was, and far more likely to be a success when I get there!

Well done! :biggrin:

Did you do A Levels all over again, or did you retake a specific year? (e.g. retaking year 13)
I ask because I'm also considering doing this, and my mum suggested it to me. And I will probably not be going back to my old 6th form, I don't feel as though they would want me back anyway. People usually did this with the old system when there were no modules though. Also I don't know if I am prepared to spend another two years in education and living with my parents.

What subject are you gonna do at uni?

What uni will you go to?
Original post by Ferrero Rocher

Original post by Ferrero Rocher
I'm pretty sure, you'll have to pay for your resit exams. :frown:

How are things going now? It's been about a week?

If I were you I would resit those A levels. Sorry to be harsh but if you are going to have A levels then they need to be a bit higher really.... especially if you want to go to a good university. Like you said there is no point in just being pushed to go anywhere through clearing. Employers still look at A levels when looking at your application.

A year would fly by and in the meantime you could get a job and work experience which would book look good on your C.V...... theres alot of competition out there now! I wouldn't worry too much about tuition fees because in a way the model could even be looked at as a better system.

Go and earn some pennies........... I wish I had then I would have felt more financially stable! As it is i'm skint because of uni and a car crash incident:-(
Reply 74
To be honest this is kind of what I hate about the education system. I feel that it's become more about remember information for the exam, writing down what the examiner wants to read and 'how many marks to I need to get a certain grade?' It doesn't feel so much like learning anymore.

Its not learning at all. I think it would be better to get teachers, not random strangers with markschemes, to mark exams. Teachers can then see clear knowledge about the subject and give marks accordingly based on skill categories. Then again every teachers vision of whats skill might cause complaints as students feel unfairly marked. I still think that provides a proper way of assessing learning, not remembering as it currently is. We go to schools to remember not learn now it seems.

Our education system, or rather all education systems suck anyway. I think it would be better off if we stopped education at around year 8 with all key skills taken in. After than we're then allowed to start university degree's. I think the whole A level and GCSE system is a waste of time and money - you use none of those skills in life barring english, IT and perhaps technology class's.
Original post by cacunningha1
How are things going now? It's been about a week?

If I were you I would resit those A levels. Sorry to be harsh but if you are going to have A levels then they need to be a bit higher really.... especially if you want to go to a good university. Like you said there is no point in just being pushed to go anywhere through clearing. Employers still look at A levels when looking at your application.

A year would fly by and in the meantime you could get a job and work experience which would book look good on your C.V...... theres alot of competition out there now! I wouldn't worry too much about tuition fees because in a way the model could even be looked at as a better system.

Go and earn some pennies........... I wish I had then I would have felt more financially stable! As it is i'm skint because of uni and a car crash incident:-(

Poor you :console:

Anyway I'm considering resitting, despite what the teachers say. I don't feel they have my interests at heart anymore anyway :frown: :mad: They can't seriously expect me to get into uni with those grades and be happy, can they? They kept on telling me that my grades wont matter once I get my degree and the uni I go to wont matter...but it's hard to believe. Only thing is no uni is taking me anyway.

I've applied for part time jobs and I had a call back saying that I can come in to do an assessment to see if I am good, so I have to prepare for that. To be honest I am not worrying about the tuition fees anymore, I'd rather pay more for a decent university than pay less for a crap university.
Original post by TheDubs
Its not learning at all. I think it would be better to get teachers, not random strangers with markschemes, to mark exams. Teachers can then see clear knowledge about the subject and give marks accordingly based on skill categories. Then again every teachers vision of whats skill might cause complaints as students feel unfairly marked. I still think that provides a proper way of assessing learning, not remembering as it currently is. We go to schools to remember not learn now it seems.

Our education system, or rather all education systems suck anyway. I think it would be better off if we stopped education at around year 8 with all key skills taken in. After than we're then allowed to start university degree's. I think the whole A level and GCSE system is a waste of time and money - you use none of those skills in life barring english, IT and perhaps technology class's.

I agree
Well done! :biggrin:

Did you do A Levels all over again, or did you retake a specific year? (e.g. retaking year 13)
I ask because I'm also considering doing this, and my mum suggested it to me. And I will probably not be going back to my old 6th form, I don't feel as though they would want me back anyway. People usually did this with the old system when there were no modules though. Also I don't know if I am prepared to spend another two years in education and living with my parents.

What subject are you gonna do at uni?

What uni will you go to?

I started afresh. Originally I wanted to do other year at 6th form, but they didn't want me back :frown: (tbf I wasn't exactly a model student! lol)

2 years seemed like a long time, but I'm glad I did them. I'm off to Manchester to do engineering now :biggrin:
Original post by Party55511
I started afresh. Originally I wanted to do other year at 6th form, but they didn't want me back :frown: (tbf I wasn't exactly a model student! lol)

2 years seemed like a long time, but I'm glad I did them. I'm off to Manchester to do engineering now :biggrin:

Cool :smile:

Yeah my 6th form don't seem to want me back either, because they want us all to go straight to uni regardless.

I'm considering starting afresh but I don't know if I want to spend another two years living with my parents, especially as there are issues, and I want to start living my life, so I don't know yet :s-smilie: I wish I could move out and I hoped uni in some way would be my way out whilst applying to study a degree
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Ah OK, that is very insightful to hear. Thank you :yy:

It's just that I often hear stuff like people with D grades and below at A Level shouldn't be going to uni because they wouldn't cope with the work or something, but then you come out with an awesome story like that. I guess it's not all black and white then, eh? :smile:

No definitely not! I think often A-levels aren't necessarily a reflection of someone's ability - there might be other reasons for lower grades, such as time management, misunderstanding of the essay questions, exam technique which needs some fine-tuning, personal issues etc - even if the person with the lower grades can't really think of a reason why it's happened. In the case of my friend, she is intelligent but was lazy and unmotivated for A-levels - but decided to work hard at uni (at least for the last year or so!) and came out well.

So what's your situation then? Did you get A-levels you were disappointed with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending