The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

white_solitude
does anyone here agree with the Steady State Theory?

No.
Reply 21
lumpycustard
what about black holes? and if the unviverse is ever expanding, how ca it be infinate? it needs to somewhere to expand into

the universe does not need something to expand into. it is the coordinate axes that are themselves expaning.
elpaw
the universe does not need something to expand into. it is the coordinate axes that are themselves expaning.

Nicely put.
Reply 23
hitchhiker_13
What about black holes?

I have a problem with infinity too, and am very interested in research into a finite universe.
But, there isn't really a problem with saying the universe is infinite and expanding, if we take infinite to mean as big as anything can possibly be, rather than uncountable. Current cosmology says there is nothing outside our universe, so it is infinite. But we know that the universe is expanding. As it expands more space is created, the universe gets bigger, but there is still nothing outside it, and it does not need "outside" to expand into.

so it expands into nothin. but when the universe stops, and beyond it is nothin, nothing as got to be something. and therefore the is something beyond the universe
lumpycustard
so it expands into nothin. but when the universe stops, and beyond it is nothin, nothing as got to be something. and therefore the is something beyond the universe

That doesn't make any sense. What are you trying to say?
Reply 25
hitchhiker_13
That doesn't make any sense.

exactly! read it again and the comment that i replied to
Reply 26
lumpycustard

its like asking "what was before the big bang?" - there was no time, so the concept of "before" and "after" dis not exist. what is outside the universe? there is no space, so the concept of "inside" and "outside" does not exist.
Reply 27
elpaw
its like asking "what was before the big bang?" - there was no time, so the concept of "before" and "after" dis not exist. what is outside the universe? there is no space, so the concept of "inside" and "outside" does not exist.

so if there was nothin before the big bang, what made the big bang happen?

ps what is the state theory? or d i no it by a different name...
lumpycustard

No-one knows what caused it (to the best of my knowledge.)
Think of the universe expanding as new space being created, rather than something spreading to fill an already existing space.

The steady-state theory is one which suggests that the universe has always existed, and will always exist, exactly as it does today. It's nonsense.
lumpycustard

its the theory that the universe is considered to have always remained essentially the same as we view it today. In otherwords there was no beginning and will be no end
Reply 30
white_solitude
its the theory that the universe is considered to have always remained essentially the same as we view it today. In otherwords there was no beginning and will be no end

have you heard of hubble? or are you just going to ignore his findings?
Reply 31
well it must of startd somewhere

however my origional question was earth, after it was created by the big bang, such as evolution, the cells that were made to start life int he first place etc

and if u read back a few posts i mentioned how someone i no thoght aliens. i personally think we have some sort of god or force which helps the world along, and we (whoever or whatever race is dominent at the time) chose how the world goes (in terms of sources etc)
elpaw
have you heard of hubble? or are you just going to ignore his findings?

I didn't say I agreed with the theory...however the Hubble equation doesn not take into account the history of the expansion, it only considers the observed velocity of the expansion today and the measured distances to distant glaxaies
Reply 33
white_solitude

its not possiable to ave somethin without a beginning, it must ahve come from somewhere. even forever has to start and end somewhere. ok maybeit waill never end, but its gota have a start
Reply 34
God, my good mate made it.
Reply 35
white_solitude
I didn't say I agreed with the theory...however the Hubble equation doesn not take into account the history of the expansion, it only considers the observed velocity of the expansion today and the measured distances to distant glaxaies

but it still disproves the steady state theory; how can there be a steady state if the universe is (even currently) expanding?
Reply 36
elpaw
but it still disproves the steady state theory; how can there be a steady state if the universe is (even currently) expanding?

???????????????????????????
elpaw

Well it is based on the cosmological principle which states that the universe appears the same at al points at all the time. It attempts to explain the expansion of the universe by stating that as the universe expands matter is created to fill the saces created by the expansion. Just where the matter comes from is not fully understood...

I personally think that the universe will keep on expanding. I think its too coincidental for the mass of the universe to balance out the gravitational force of the attraction, nor do I believe in that the mass of the universe is greater and we will all die from the 'Big Crunch'
Reply 38
white_solitude
Well it is based on the cosmological principle which states that the universe appears the same at al points at all the time. It attempts to explain the expansion of the universe by stating that as the universe expands matter is created to fill the saces created by the expansion. Just where the matter comes from is not fully understood...

I personally think that the universe will keep on expanding. I think its too coincidental for the mass of the universe to balance out the gravitational force of the attraction, nor do I believe in that the mass of the universe is greater and we will all die from the 'Big Crunch'

oh god. big crunch? what is that?
Reply 39
lumpycustard
oh god. big crunch? what is that?

the opposite of the big bang.

Latest

Trending

Trending