The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Society is messed up, no one cares about the less fortunate any more!!

People just ignore the less fortunate and go about their business. No one cares about the poor/dying people in the world, instead everyone just cares about their next mobile phone, or when they are going out next. When did society become so selfish? No one even has time to spare a few coins for the beggar on the street. Everyone is pessimistic towards homeless people, e.g. "oh he/she's probably going to end up buying drugs with the money" or "he/she isn't really homeless, they just have that dog there to make you feel guilty for them" etc.

It makes me sad that people think like this these days, even my own friends don't spare even 50p or £1 for a beggar, it's sickening. Even if I have a couple pound, I'll always try and help out with a little change that I have. What is money to people who are earning it every week? Oh and another thing people say (and in case any of you say it) is "why should I hand over my hard earned money, they should go get a job themselves" and that just makes me angry because people don't know their situation, but people criticise them for asking for a little help.

I hope put all my hard work into making a good fortune to be able to help out these people in a few years time. It just saddens me to see the homeless, dying, and malnourished in Europe, North/South America and Africa. I really hope people can wake up and realise their lives are amazing compared to these poor people. One more example of societies selfishness is a programme I was watching the other night, where these people were looking through bin bags outside of a food store and found 2 bin bags full up with brand new, still packaged food that was going to be thrown away. What about giving that food to the homeless beggars on street? Oh no! shop owners, management, councils (whoever is in charge) doesn't ever think of that!!

Anyway, what do you think of our society or/and attitude towards the less fortunate? Does it make you sad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheEnigmaUK
People just ignore the less fortunate and go about their business. No one cares about the poor/dying people in the world, instead everyone just cares about their next mobile phone, or when they are going out next. When did society become so selfish? No one even has time to spare a few coins for the beggar on the street. Everyone is pessimistic towards homeless people, e.g. "oh he/she's probably going to end up buying drugs with the money" or "he/she isn't really homeless, they just have that dog there to make you feel guilty for them" etc.

It makes me sad that people think like this these days, even my own friends don't spare even 50p or £1 for a beggar, it's sickening. Even if I have a couple pound, I'll always try and help out with a little change that I have. What is money to people who are earning it every week? Oh and another thing people say (and in case any of you say it) is "why should I hand over my hard earned money, they should go get a job themselves" and that just makes me angry because people don't know their situation, but people criticise them for asking for a little help.

I hope put all my hard work into making a good fortune to be able to help out these people in a few years time. It just saddens me to see the homeless, dying, and malnourished in Europe, North/South America and Africa. I really hope people can wake up and realise their lives are amazing compared to these poor people. One more example of societies selfishness is a programme I was watching the other night, where these people were looking through bin bags outside of a food store and found 2 bin bags full up with brand new, still packaged food that was going to be thrown away. What about giving that food to the homeless beggars on street? Oh no! shop owners, management, councils (whoever is in charge) doesn't ever think of that!!

Anyway, what do you think of our society or/and attitude towards the less fortunate? Does it make you sad?

This is so true, I heard a story where ppl I know saw a homeless drunk guy having a fit, and because he looked a bit rough and hobo-ish people were just walking past and not even doing anything, eventually when they called an ambulance people stepped in and tried to help. No-one is willing to be the first one to step up anymore, people will just blend in with the crowd at the expense of another human being :frown:
Reply 2
I agree + disagree with what you're saying. I don't know the official figures but I'm going to guess and say that compared to 10/15 years ago I THINK people are giving more to charity now (just a guess). I can only speak for myself, when I see a homeless person I always offer to buy them food because I know how hard times can be. In my opinion the thing that needs fixing is our welfare state. There are a lot of people who shouldn't be on benefits who are draining our tax money. You may say, how does this matter in terms of the less fortunate? In my opinion, if we fixed our welfare state it would allow the Government to then spend that money on issues that actually matter, such as looking after our injured soldiers, investing in schools + helping people get back on their feet to then look after themselves and NOT rely on the Government.
To be fair, when you hand over that little bit of change to the beggar in the street, what guarantee have you that he won't go & buy alcohol/drugs? This isn't the victorian era where the homeless have nowhere to go but workhouses, there are places & businesses they can go to to seek help.

Sorry pal, whilst I realise that people are suffering I've got to disagree with you. I've just come back from 6 months in Uganda, children wandering the streets etc. But what you don't realise is that by giving them money or food, you're encouraging them to stay on the streets. It's a lot easier to just sit around all day and get free food and money isn't it? Hence why shops don't give left over food to the homeless.

What he said too really, when you give beggars things, it doesn't encourage them to seek help.

The same principle (about making sure the money is well spent) also applies to the issue of foreign donation - why should we give up our money if there is no guarantee it will help the people on the ground? Or worse, go toward people who will use it for negative things, such as weapons (I'm pretty sure this has happened before, it was in an article about the Live Aid concert in the 80s, if I find the article I'll post it).

I think there is also an issue of the way these events are publicised - people become de-sensitised to what goes on - after all, it's never happened here, it's always something which happens to other people - I suppose that sentiment can also be extended to charitable donations... we expect others to give, and so give nothing ourselves...
(edited 12 years ago)

Sorry pal, whilst I realise that people are suffering I've got to disagree with you. I've just come back from 6 months in Uganda, children wandering the streets etc. But what you don't realise is that by giving them money or food, you're encouraging them to stay on the streets. It's a lot easier to just sit around all day and get free food and money isn't it? Hence why shops don't give left over food to the homeless.
Reply 5
Original post by Rooster523

Who stays homeless for a sandwich? They should give them free food, because they'll only be throwing it away if they don't sell it.
Original post by Martyn*
Who stays homeless for a sandwich? They should give them free food, because they'll only be throwing it away if they don't sell it.

People beg because they have nothing, if you keep giving them things, they'll stay there because it's a lot easier than trying to find a place to stay and building their life back up.

They become so dependant on the food they're being given they stop trying to get off the streets, because the streets give them guaranteed food.

I'll give you an example, a basic one so don't start getting picky, if your parents give you £200 a week for years on end, you probably wouldn't bother finding yourself a job. Why put effort in finding a job when you can get money for nothing? The same principle applies here, why put effort in trying to get off the street when you know you'll be fed anyway?
x

I think this sentiment derives from the welfare state. Very often people rightly argue that many people are on the dole. And thus they hold them in contempt as they have money derived from taxation, as apposed to work. The welfare state has had the unintended consequence of undermining compassion and understanding in society.

I know of almost nobody who gives to charities that are for the British poor. This is a rational phenomina when one considers the welfare state.
The thought of the less fortunate is devastating but I think society has people have become cynical about how much one person can do. Homeless and people that depend on benefits have been given bad press because you never hear about people who play by the rules. There is a culture where, paticularly at christmas, i've donated say a tenna to a particular charity 'ive did my bit' and changing things for people needs alot more.
Nobody ever cared
People beg because they have nothing, if you keep giving them things, they'll stay there because it's a lot easier than trying to find a place to stay and building their life back up.

They become so dependant on the food they're being given they stop trying to get off the streets, because the streets give them guaranteed food.

I'll give you an example, a basic one so don't start getting picky, if your parents give you £200 a week for years on end, you probably wouldn't bother finding yourself a job. Why put effort in finding a job when you can get money for nothing? The same principle applies here, why put effort in trying to get off the street when you know you'll be fed anyway?

I've volunteered for a homeless charity and that's bs. You think if somebody gets food they'll be happy to remain homeless? We gave food parcels to homeless people all the time and believe me they were still desperate to find somewhere to live. You're attitude smacks of an ignorant kid sitting at his desk theorising on topics he can't even begin to understand.
I feel the same way and give charity as much as I can. Does sadden me how materialistic and selfish people are getting now, though there are still those who do care.
It makes me guilty to even throw away leftover food, knowing that someone is dying of hunger.
1) Greed.
2) Life's a competition, its not going to be fair.
3) People do care but would rather ignore it than get depressed over it. Unfortunately its likely there will always be those in poverty due to numbers 1 and 2 so no matter how hard one tries they can't stop it and thus its easier to ignore it than let it get you down.
4) People actually do help, just look at the world's charities
5) Charity doesn't always help nor does volunteering, in some cases it makes life worse. For example giving money to help people in Africa might seem like a good idea but a lot of the money doesn't actually go into helping the people, sometimes it goes to the government and the money is used to fuel wars and such. Also paying money to volunteer would not be as helpful as paying a person there to do the job instead.
Reply 13
It's the same as it has always been we're egoistic organisms, it's only to be expected.

For those who give to charity it is merely for their self-satisfaction induced by giving to charity.
Reply 14
What about all the girls with combover hair who go to Africa in their gap years to take pictures with the starving children? Are you suggesting they don't care?
Original post by Busby_Babe
I've volunteered for a homeless charity and that's bs. You think if somebody gets food they'll be happy to remain homeless? We gave food parcels to homeless people all the time and believe me they were still desperate to find somewhere to live. You're attitude smacks of an ignorant kid sitting at his desk theorising on topics he can't even begin to understand.

you can jog on pal, I spent 6 months in Uganda and this was exactly what was drilled into us every day, don't feed the beggars, don't feed the beggars. Maybe the situation over there is different but forgive me using my own experiences with the homeless.
you can jog on pal, I spent 6 months in Uganda and this was exactly what was drilled into us every day, don't feed the beggars, don't feed the beggars. Maybe the situation over there is different but forgive me using my own experiences with the homeless.

Uganda =/= Britain. Completely different circumstances.
Reply 17

Of course they have thought of that before. But they are not allowed to give it away by law. Blame the lawyers who create this pathetic legislation and bureaucracy system. But hey.....look at all the law students/ graduates today. Things are only going to get worse.

Look your intentions are right. Giving money to the less fortunate but is it not better to do this via a structured and organised system rather than just a few pound here and there? Giving money through charity consistently is much better than taking things into your own hands and deciding who gets what and how much. People taking things into their own hands is always the start of a disaster. If you feel that strongly about helping the poor then you need to make suggestions for change to a higher authority (government).
welcome to capitalism.
There are charities to help homeless people. I'd rather give to them than individuals.

Latest