The Student Room Group

Are you British or English?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
English. The various countries are so different, it's odd to group us all together. It's like saying "I'm from Europe". Anyway, another reason is football. We have an English team, not a British team. I don't like the term "Brit" much either.
Reply 21
Called up O2 today and was constantly reminded; 'One of our UK based team will be with you shortly'. I later found out that they are based in Glasgow, which makes me wonder two thing. First, would Alex Salmond be calling for UK to be replaced with Scottish, and second, how many people would hang up / leave O2 if this were the case.

'One of our Scottish based team will be with you shortly'....
Original post by abc:)
Lol, exactly why I call myself British rather than English, not that I'm ashamed of being from England but the word 'English' just makes me think of EDL etc lol.

Unfortunately, I associate St George's day with the plebs :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by Mr_Platini
Unfortunately, I associate St George's day with the plebs :frown:

I know!! I enjoy St Patrick's day more than St George's day and I'm like, what, an 8th irish lol. St George's day is just an excuse for some people to get really drunk and racist though....it puts other people off :frown:
I know!! I enjoy St Patrick's day more than St George's day and I'm like, what, an 8th irish lol. St George's day is just an excuse for some people to get really drunk and racist though....it puts other people off :frown:

Me too, and I'm 1/8 Irish as well ha. St Paddy's day is celebrated everywhere tbf. They have a parade every year in NYC and it's a big day in Boston and Chicago as well, but that's because of the immigration I suppose.

I wish we could celebrate St George's day as a national holiday, and the racist EDL could be locked up for the day. I hate the fact that it's the one day of the year that all the racists crawl out of their pits and start chanting against the foreigners :frown:
Reply 25
Me too, and I'm 1/8 Irish as well ha. St Paddy's day is celebrated everywhere tbf. They have a parade every year in NYC and it's a big day in Boston and Chicago as well, but that's because of the immigration I suppose.

I wish we could celebrate St George's day as a national holiday, and the racist EDL could be locked up for the day. I hate the fact that it's the one day of the year that all the racists crawl out of their pits and start chanting against the foreigners :frown:

It is sad, we're such a racist country...I know that's a generalisation but I'm sure that's how people see England
Reply 26
British.

Why? It's my country. I'm from all over the British Isles, and I don't want to pin myself to one location.
Nothing against being British, butI'd say I'm English.
Say someone (who had no concept of accents) said to me 'Oh you're Welsh!' I'd correct them and say I was English, so I might as well specify from the beginning.

Ps. That wasn't a dig at the Welsh. I'm moving there and the accents are 'lush' :love:
Reply 28
My nationality is British.
My national identity is almost entirely English, and sometimes British if it suits the situation.
Im English (ignore the Union Jack) I dont particularly like Scotland, Wales is ok, as for Northern Ireland; I certainly dont think its worth all the bloodshed. Any you guys been there? Really nothing special. They would be better off arguing over the last ****ing tic-tac tbh.
Reply 30
I do hate this silly loathing that some people have with the word 'British'. More often than not, it is the Welsh and Scottish that have a problem with it. I think because whenever foreigners think of British things, people and places, they think of England.

More bizarrely perhaps, I get the feeling that many English people have never really differentiated at all between Britishness and Englishness - it's never been something that's crossed their minds. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing: it's a damn-sight better than the inward-looking crap about identity we get in Scotland, constantly puzzling over how we're supposed to feel about the whole thing. In the end, it's just a cultural pissing contest, generally taking place between some of the most ignorant and least objective people around.
I see myself as British - I'm Bangladeshi but I was born & raised here. Although my parents are very Bengali, everything about them is so British - their morals, values, views, even the way they parent!

I always considered 'English' being the race :confused:
Original post by L i b
More bizarrely perhaps, I get the feeling that many English people have never really differentiated at all between Britishness and Englishness - it's never been something that's crossed their minds. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing: it's a damn-sight better than the inward-looking crap about identity we get in Scotland, constantly puzzling over how we're supposed to feel about the whole thing. In the end, it's just a cultural pissing contest, generally taking place between some of the most ignorant and least objective people around.

I see. Scots in England are far more widely accepted than Englishmen in Scotland. Again, I'm going to have to put this down to the fact that the scots do seem to have an inferiority complex against the English, and Scottish people on the whole do not seem too friendly.
Reply 33
I'll just sectionalise further and call myself a Londoner instead :sexface:.
It is sad, we're such a racist country...I know that's a generalisation but I'm sure that's how people see England

It's a shame how this country has changed. I'd love to give the EDL a good kicking. They give this country such a bad name...
Original post by defuzion
I'll just sectionalise further and call myself a Londoner instead :sexface:.

How about going one step further and calling yourself a Croydoner/Hammersmither/Hackneyer :wink:
I am British. I would say I am English.

England is not a country on its own, hence why you do not get an English passport, but rather a British passport. The country is called Britain. England is like a 'state' of Britain. At least that is how I view it.
Reply 37
I see. Scots in England are far more widely accepted than Englishmen in Scotland.

I don't think that's true at all - or at least if you're trying to suggest that somehow English people are not accepted in Scotland, then you're wrong. Let's not forget that more than 8% of the people in Scotland - about 1 in 12 - are English: sometimes semi-jokingly referred to as Scotland's largest ethnic minority group.

Moreover, unlike other 'minority' groups, English people integrate. They certainly don't live in specific areas (unless you count major business centres like Edinburgh which naturally attract people who move). So, basically, if you wanted to be anti-English in Scotland, you'd have to be pretty bloody thick-skinned: you're not going to go a day without bumping into a few.
I'm scouse unfortunately i have yet to discover a form which allows me to put this :/

quite wierd really when it was one of the current government former leaders who said we'd be better off on our own
It's interesting seeing on here how some people have chosen English as their nationality and others British. Obviously some of those who have chosen British may well also be Welsh, Scottish or N. Irish, but seeing as I'm not any of those I can't really comment....so I was just wondering, if you chose British over English, why? And if you chose English over British, again, why?
Personally I always put British...why, I do not know, I think it just looks and sounds nicer, and regrettably I think I associate the St George flag with some negative things....but what do you think?

Edit- I'm looking for reasons!

both.....although not "ethnically" english (for the ultra-nationalists... (folks are italian/sardinian)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending