Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thinking of doing;

Computing
Economics
Business Studies
Accounts

I want to do computer science at uni and their requirements are AAB for Birmingham university which is 5th best at computer science.
They want Maths Grade B at GCSE if not offered at A level. (Got A in GCSE MATHS hopefully).

So therefore dont want to do any major sciences or Maths at sixth form.

Please give me your opinions,

Thanks for all your help.

(Just going into year 12)
snailsareslimy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would say it's a hard subject, it certainly looks quite challenging from what I've seen at my school!
mvp47
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sherry123)
Thinking of doing;

Computing
Economics
Business Studies
Accounts

I want to do computer science at uni and their requirements are AAB for Birmingham university which is 5th best at computer science.
They want Maths Grade B at GCSE if not offered at A level. (Got A in GCSE MATHS hopefully).

Since you planning on doing computer science, do maths and possibily further maths. Computer science is very mathematical subject and you'll struggle without A-level maths. Don't do both business studies and accounts as top uni's look down on them. Just trying to help.
Stardust Mirage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think unis neither consider it as soft of hard just in the middle I think. If your doing CompSci it's worth having at A level. if you don't have A Level maths you would struggle. I'm not a maths person neither do I like maths but I'm still doing maths in college just for the sake of me being able to do a CompSci course in uni in the future.
mahaneap
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's definitely not easy, but it's not respected quite so much as others. If you want to study it at university, it is a good idea to do the A level, but by no means essential. You won't be disadvantaged if you haven't done it, as a lot of schools don't offer it.

Maths, however, is pretty much essential for computer science for all the top universities, and further maths will definitely be an advantage and will help you in your course.
username133326
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some uni's consider it medium-soft for some reason, however as someone who has done it i can tell you it is certainly very hard.

I found it harder than physics and biology at A2
Evil Monkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Depends what sort of mind you've got, but it's a midground one really.

Oh, and do Maths if you can. Further Maths is more than you'll ever need, don't bother with that, but Maths now will make a lot of things easier later.
explicit4u
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say it's quite soft. Maths and Further Maths are not only better but will really help you if you want to do computer science! I plan on doing computer science and I'm taking;

maths
physics
further maths
economics

They're all hard subjects with economics being the only soft/medium-soft one, it's still a respected A-Level.
The-Dream
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thinking of doing;

Computing
Economics
Business Studies
Accounts

You pretty much need maths.
hamzazulfiqar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thinking of doing;

Computing
Economics
Business Studies
Accounts

haha im going to into year 12 and im also doing computing, economics, business in addition to general studies and products design.
Dr.Pwepper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For me I'm stuck between the IT based side and mathematics side. I'm also going into year 12 and the courses that I've chosen are Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Computing. I strongly recommend that you don't do business studies and accounting as they are relatively easy and soft. Instead replace them with Accounting with Maths if you can and business studies with Further Maths. I swear you can't take business studies and economics together anyways so you're going to have to change one of them (preferable business studies).
PLT_87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is strongly recommended that you take A-level Mathematics if you wish to study Computer Science. I graduated from UCL in Computer Science and they asked for a grade A in Mathematics. You will find a lot of unis ask for A-level Maths so definitely research the universities you wish to apply to before confirming your AS-level Choices.
The_Rev
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got a place at university for Computer Software Development, and I did A-Level Computing, and I didn't do mathematics.

It's definitely a challenging course, and if you're not interested in computers, then you'll end up struggling. It's definitely far from a soft subject, I also did A-Level ICT, and I can say without a doubt that Computing > ICT.
Danltn
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To put it bluntly, you will struggle for CS at University if you are poor at Maths.

Also, a lot of universities require A Level maths and are kinder to applicants with Further Maths.

A level computing (imo) was easy compared to say maths and further maths. It required memorisation, rather than application for the majority of marks.

I'd recommend: Maths, Further Maths, Computing, Economics/Physics/Other.

Also I disagree with the statement: "Further Maths is more than you'll ever need" - further maths basic concepts feature heavily in a first year module at Warwick, in fact they build upon knowledge learnt in FM. Whilst FM isn't compulsory, those that take it seem to get better marks.
murcielago998
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
As many people have already stated, Maths is more beneficial for CompSci than Computing A-level. If you want to do Computing anyway just to give yourself a bit of a head start, then by all means, do so, but I would stress that the Maths is more of an advantage.

As for how hard it is...if you are technically minded, and have a highly "logical" way of thinking, it should be a doddle. However, most A-level Computing teachers are crap, which is why many people find it hard...because they have to basically self-study most of it. My A-level teacher gave us about one half-hour lesson every month.

Also, if you think you can achieve AAB, why not aim a little higher than Birmingham? Unis which require Maths A-level tend to have better courses in general, and a much better first year because they don't have to spend time teaching everyone Maths.
Nokiacrazi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends on exam board tbh.

I did A-Level computing with the WJEC board. I have to say 1st year is a doddle. 2nd is much harder.
In terms of coursework (my experience) that is very easy (although I guess it dpends on your teacher alot). First year exam was very easy, just general questions about computers/using a computer. 2nd year exam is MUCH more technical and relevant. Lets put it this way. I got 110/130 first year exam, 2nd year I got 39/130. I still managed to get a C overall...
tonyhawken
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by explicit4u)
I'd say it's quite soft. Maths and Further Maths are not only better but will really help you if you want to do computer science! I plan on doing computer science and I'm taking;

maths
physics
further maths
economics

They're all hard subjects with economics being the only soft/medium-soft one, it's still a respected A-Level.
I would say that it can be quite hard, especially because there is less chance that the students concerned will have a computing teacher who is appropriately qualified. This means that the students concerned have to teach themselves more.
mvp47
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by explicit4u)

maths
physics
further maths
economics

Funny, I took the those same subjects for A levels. I think it's one the best combinations you can take really.
HaydenE
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've just finished my A-Levels and I would say that Computing is a medium A-Level. The subjects I took for A-Level were:

Maths (OCR MEI)
Further Maths (OCR MEI)
Computing (AQA)
Physics (OCR)

I managed to get an A* in Computing (I got 96% overall), but this was probably because this course requires a lot of memorisation rather than application, so it's pretty easy to get the marks. Also remember that AQA Computing has coursework in the second year. If you’re not careful, and don't work hard and use your time wisely, you could end up getting a very bad mark. On the other hand, if you manage to get a great grade in the coursework, you can afford to do less well in the exam, and still come out with a good grade.

I would definitely recommend doing at LEAST maths, although further maths is desirable too. I'm going to study Computer Science at Southampton in September and they, like many other universities I applied to (I applied to Southampton, Imperial College London, Bristol and Bath - Got offers from all) required at least an A in Maths. These universities prefer you to get an A at A-Level in Maths rather than Computer science, as many colleges/sixth-forms don't offer Computing.

Hope this helps a little
hamzazulfiqar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Danltn)
To put it bluntly, you will struggle for CS at University if you are poor at Maths.

Also, a lot of universities require A Level maths and are kinder to applicants with Further Maths.

A level computing (imo) was easy compared to say maths and further maths. It required memorisation, rather than application for the majority of marks.

I'd recommend: Maths, Further Maths, Computing, Economics/Physics/Other.

Also I disagree with the statement: "Further Maths is more than you'll ever need" - further maths basic concepts feature heavily in a first year module at Warwick, in fact they build upon knowledge learnt in FM. Whilst FM isn't compulsory, those that take it seem to get better marks.
the thing i dont understand is why would you need maths in cs ? can you give me an example ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.54%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
15.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.86%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.59%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.65%

Watched Threads