The Student Room Group

The hardest A Level subject?

Scroll to see replies

No one mentions MFLs because no one does them yet they are very well respected subjects. :pierre:
I found English quite easy whereas a lot of my class didn't even know what a noun was!! (true story, same with verbs, adverbs, synonyms, conjunctions and acronyms!). I guess it depends on how your mind interprets and can handle data. It's completely subjective.

For instance, I understand that Media and Film Studies don't appear to be very difficult at all to those who haven't experienced them, but as with most subjects it can be very difficult when it comes to interpeting the texts and offering explanations for various things (that frankly the producers probably weren't aware of :P). If you don't have imagination, knowledge of psychology (I took that too which helped) and strong opinions about things like society, politics, environmental issues and other stuff relating to the world and humans then you'll find subjects like that exceedingly difficult as you won't have an informed viewpoint. Surely working rapidly (in exams) to provide an insight and a hypothesis for various unknown narratives can't be easier than simply remembering a load of facts and figures?

And is perhaps on a par with English Language and it's interpretation of characters, setting, dialogue, metaphors etc?

Though I must admit Chemistry, Biology and Physics sound like complete destroyers of the brain :P I guess fact-based and interpretation-based subjects are tailored to more deductive and inductive personalities, respectively? I feel it to be quite unjust that those of the latter face dissapproval just because they think differently.

Personally I prefer it when my subjects aren't set in stone, though I did love science and algebra at school :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I think everyone is thinking too conventionally.

Ancient Greek is objectively one of the hardest A levels hands down

I just got a B in it, got an A* in history, does not even compare.

I'd say Latin and Further Maths is up there too, but I'm sure there are more obscure subjects such as Russian which are notoriously difficult.
Reply 63
Science based (Biology, Chemistry, Physics or social science like psychology).
Original post by bramz19
Well respected? Yes. Hardest? No.

Did you do any MFLs at A level? Everyone seems to put them down without ever having done one at A level. The majority seem to be people doing mainly sciences who are shooting them down whilst never having done a language past GCSE.

To learn a language (thousands and thousands of words etc.) is a lot more different from learning things from a book. It requires a different mentality - from my past experience at least!

I'm a native French speaker and, even though I understand everything, I find it hard to 'play to the exam board' to get marks. I also think the essays at the end (exclusive to my exam board) are really stupid. Obviously the tenses, spelling and/or grammar which stump so many people aren't really an issue for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 65
Maths.
Reply 66
History is an absolute pisstake.
sciences maths languages and history
http://www.ultimateyearout.com/video/338- win the ultimate gap year!!!
Original post by bramz19
Yep. It was really fun, challenging at times, fairly fulfilling, but nowhere near the hardest A-Level I did, let alone the hardest A-Level out there.

then why does/did your profile say differently? D:
Reply 69
General studies is easily the hardest, its just too tempting to rant about random stuff with no relevence to the question.
Physics is nasty, especially since the GCSE is soooo easy. Luckily I did better that expected :biggrin:
cheeem!!!! its so rubbish!
Art - I just can't colour in between the lines :frown:

I'm joking of course, I do art myself. I found chemistry to be the toughest, the amount of content you have to learn is imense. If you fall behind even slightly it hits you hard.
Original post by bramz19
Profile? :confused: In any case, I haven't got the result for it yet, should be coming sometime in September.

my memory might be failing. >.< good luck for september!
Reply 74
General Studies
Economics!!
Reply 76
definitely chemistry. revised more for chemistry than all my other subjects put together and ended up getting A*AAB with the B in chem...
Reply 77
English lit, physics, chemistry, maths... For me I'd say English lit though.
Reply 78
Chemistry. There's just so much you need to learn and then, even when you've learnt it if you can't apply that knowledge in unfamiliar contexts then the exams are incredibly tricky!
Reply 79
Chem- A
Maths- A
Bio- B
F.Maths- A
So, i would say Biology

Quick Reply

Latest