Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I dont think anyone who didnt go to public school should be allowed to go to university. theyre all so blattently stupid its a discrace to this country.

I got a scholarship to the best private school in this contry, and anyone else half intelligent should too if they want to go to uni. I dont want my parents paying for 'Tracy' to go to uni, shes blattently stupid because she wanted to take subjects she enjoys, rather than ones she doesnt.

Im not a snob, im not self ellivated and pompus, and i do think conservatives are the only party you should vote for.

rah rah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek2)
    I dont think anyone who didnt go to public school should be allowed to go to university. theyre all so blattently stupid its a discrace to this country.

I got a scholarship to the best private school in this contry, and anyone else half intelligent should too if they want to go to uni. I dont want my parents paying for 'Tracy' to go to uni, shes blattently stupid because she wanted to take subjects she enjoys, rather than ones she doesnt.

Im not a snob, im not self ellivated and pompus, and i do think conservatives are the only party you should vote for.

rah rah
    Is this a 'taking the piss' thread of Tek?

haha that really was a very lame troll attempt, do try harder next time please, that was just insultingly bad..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    haha that really was a very lame troll attempt, do try harder next time please, that was just insultingly bad..
    Exactly, piss-takes can often be funny but this one was of dire quality.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't really a piss take because it's vaguely true. :rolleyes: Haha.

Try again, Tek2.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO lol. ooooo yay! i likey the nortyness ness ness. But Tek isn't really like that (if you were imitating him that is). Different people have different values. No point trying to illustrate it any further than thet teehee

*spins off into the sunset*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

Try again, Tek2.
    I was going to say that, that you'd agree with a lot of it.

ReputationRep:
    Tek2 quite clearly lacks elementary school education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek2)
    Apart from this it could have been me; except I'm not that overt.

ReputationRep:
    I am studying satire at the moment and all I can say is............. must try harder.

Not particularly funny.

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)

Try again, Tek2.
    All satire has a grain of truth in it. That what makes it funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnacilppa)
    I am studying satire at the moment and all I can say is............. must try harder.

Not particularly funny.

Adam
    How do you 'study' satire? What course is it part of, may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    All satire has a grain of truth in it. That what makes it funny.
    Yes the "grain" being the operative clause there.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine who applied and received an offer from New College, Oxford overheard a conversation between 2 private school pupils staying in the same corridor who proclaimed loudly that state school people should not be allowed to apply to Oxbridge. Made her feel really welcome and confident...

So clearly real attitudes similar to Tek2's actually do still exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiyakat)
    A friend of mine who applied and received an offer from New College, Oxford overheard a conversation between 2 private school pupils staying in the same corridor who proclaimed loudly that state school people should not be allowed to apply to Oxbridge. Made her feel really welcome and confident...

So clearly real attitudes similar to Tek2's actually do still exist.
    I would feel a bit weird having spent all my life in a boarding independent school full of the same rich people and then spending time will all these people whos parents salaries are equal to the amount their private school education costs. It would be very strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    How do you 'study' satire? What course is it part of, may I ask?
    Satire is part of the English Literature A-Level (for OCR at least).

It invloves texts such as Candide, Gulliver's Travels, Catch 22 Rape of the Lock etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Satire is part of the English Literature A-Level (for OCR at least).

It invloves texts such as Candide, Gulliver's Travels, Catch 22 Rape of the Lock etc
    Yeah Eng. Lit. - great subject!

We're doing Gulliver's Travels which is boring but The Handmaid's Tale is good!

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tnacilppa)
    Yeah Eng. Lit. - great subject!

We're doing Gulliver's Travels which is boring but The Handmaid's Tale is good!

Adam
    I know, hope to read it at uni!

I haven't read the Handmaiden's Tale, but I thought Gulliver's Travels was good. The only problem is that you need to know exactly what Swift is saterising, and the context surrounding them when he was writing.

Im doing 20th cent American Lit anyway. Not quite as fun

ReputationRep:
    Strange incomes being only equal to the amount some pay for private education?
    lol, a years education is more than my mums anual income!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    Strange incomes being only equal to the amount some pay for private education?
    lol, a years education is more than my mums anual income!
    Exactly, it would be weird living in that enviroment and then being taken out of it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 4, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.