Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Accepted. I agree with most of what you said. The thing is though you cant trust a lot of the statistics because what is referred as poverty now would have been luxury 40 years ago. Absolute poverty for this country is rather extreme a word. Everybody is entitled to state money and housing in such a situation, that is perhaps poverty but we are talking about the standard of what a person could get with that money, quite a lot compared to what a person 40 years could have got because it is available, whereas it wasnt in the past. I didnt think there was any need to back up what I said, because quite frankly it is blatently obvious, all you have to do is look inside you house and outside to see that, thats the evidence.

Disribution of wealth isnt the issue here. Its wether people have got better demographic amenities than they did in the past, again that is clear to see almost anywhere in this country and others.

I'm sorry but I dont trust anything which comes from a charity of such nature. Why you ask? The chief execs are on circa 80k a year and the begging tactics used in the street is pathetic. I'm not saying such a charity isnt good and doesnt do good things, they could just be a lot more charitable. I find it quite amusing that most charities dont release to the general public how much the people who run them are on. There would of course be a public outcry because that kind of money is a joke especially when a lot of the directors have other jobs in a non charitable sector often earning 6 figures.

I cant see what drug abuse and divorce has got to do with anything though. We are talking about standard of living. Id est clean water not clean coke.
    Absolute poverty certainly does exist in the UK, and in large numbers. Again, over that very period there was a significant rise in the number of homeless people, although it has now stabilised at a high level, there's an interesting report by entitled: Single homelessness: An overview of research in Britain in 2000 and that was its conclusion.

As for drugs and high divorce rate, if you were to, or have spent time working in a deprived council estate you will see what I mean-or at least you should do!

Standard of living for me, I think, is a far broader notion than what you take it to mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Absolute poverty certainly does exist in the UK, and in large numbers. Again, over that very period there was a significant rise in the number of homeless people, although it has now stabilised at a high level, there's an interesting report by entitled: Single homelessness: An overview of research in Britain in 2000 and that was its conclusion.

As for drugs and high divorce rate, if you were to, or have spent time working in a deprived council estate you will see what I mean-or at least you should do!

Standard of living for me, I think, is a far broader notion than what you take it to mean.

Once again I feel you read too much into charities BS, used to make people give money so that mr. director can top up his 6 figure salary with another lovely 5 figure salary for turning up to two board meetings a month at his respected charity. Everytime I get hasled by a charity worker in the street I ask them how much money do they think their direcetors and chief exec are on. They never know, and are rather shocked when I tell them.

The key words there is 'for me'. I'm talking about human rights of clean water, good medicine etc . Every british citizen is entitled to this, including the homeless. I have no symphany for the homeless, I find them truely pathetic. With respect if these 'absolute poverty' citizens can afford to get married and take expensive drugs, sureley they can afford to sort them selves out.

ReputationRep:
    Im really, really sorry people to bring this up again, but i just had too.....

It makes me worried that people on this thread seem to be willing to just acept that some people will ahve to have a deprived life so that they can have a good one, and they seem perfectly happy about this by the way that just state it and say 'thats life'. If noone ever strived to make things better, where would we be?

To Happy sunshine: Where in my thread did i say people should move about the country looking for schools? i said you generally look around a bit. My friend came over from Hong Kong, and his parents looked into the schools where they had the option of moving. Ther chose one, and got him and his brother in. Very good grammar. the older one goes to oxford, the younger ones got an offer from Cam. I understand theres problems, but to be honest you can overcome them fairly often. (and stop kissing joey johns ass please!)

Joey Johns: When i say this i say it honestly; most of my friends go to state school, about 5 different ones, and i know NOONE who is unhappy. granted, there is a fairly ******** secondary school close by, but saying that a guy i new went there, got excellent GCSE's, changed for sixth form and got to oxford. Also, yes they may have worse facilities, but i dont think this means yo get a worse all round education.Rather, i have come into contact with some very interesting people, learnt o appreciate what i have, make the most of what i have and strive for success. Getting close to if not the best for everything is not automatically good.

Finally, and yes, you will be glad to know this is the end of my rant, i perfectly respect people who go to private school! Yes, hoenstly i do. But i hate the ignorance and pasifism that seems to come with some people, and only some.
    Its such a shame; for people who are meant to be well educated, you have a strong air of ignorance about you.

ReputationRep:
    Once again I feel you read too much into charities BS, used to make people give money so that mr. director can top up his 6 figure salary with another lovely 5 figure salary for turning up to two board meetings a month at his respected charity. Everytime I get hasled by a charity worker in the street I ask them how much money do they think their direcetors and chief exec are on. They never know, and are rather shocked when I tell them.

The key words there is 'for me'. I'm talking about human rights of clean water, good medicine etc . Every british citizen is entitled to this, including the homeless. I have no symphany for the homeless, I find them truely pathetic. With respect if these 'absolute poverty' citizens can afford to get married and take expensive drugs, sureley they can afford to sort them selves out.
    once agin, you demonstrate a small mindedness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)

To Happy sunshine: Where in my thread did i say people should move about the country looking for schools? i said you generally look around a bit. My friend came over from Hong Kong, and his parents looked into the schools where they had the option of moving. Ther chose one, and got him and his brother in. Very good grammar. the older one goes to oxford, the younger ones got an offer from Cam. I understand theres problems, but to be honest you can overcome them fairly often. (and stop kissing joey johns ass please!)

Well I think it's a bit easier to chose a school when you've got kids that are not longer young and they can't exactly have been poor to have got to live here :rolleyes: What usually happens is the childless parents move to an area which they move for for other reasons than schooling and then find they have difficulty getting out of this area to good areas.

Ask Fishpaste, he'll tell you the same. It's not that easy when you live in a big city. And I'm not kissing anyones arse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Well said. Nothing to add to that.
    But we get the you all have snobby attitudes thing and then she says it easy to go to pick a good school. In some areas even if the parents are quite wealthy it is still difficult to send their children to a good school. But it's tough and I say that because not all of us, including myself can go to a 75% A*-C school but if you want to do well you will.

ReputationRep:
    They are bristish, living in hong kong, so not particularly rich, just got a job transfer when the chinese took over. I kno wits not always easy, and in those situations fine, infact if parents want to send their kids to private school fine! Just as long as you respect that if there is a good state school, people may actually prefer to go there than to a private school!

You refuse to give a pound to oxfam because 20p goes to admin, future fundraising etc?
    Attitudes like this are the reason why I feel hand on heart that some people are intrinsically better human beings than others.
    J

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.