The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
happysunshine
Exactly, it would be weird living in that enviroment and then being taken out of it.

Woe on them.
Reply 21
And I think I don't live in the real world...
Reply 22
Yes, it will be wierd, probably as weird as its going to be for people like me!
I've only ever really known 2 privately educated people, so its going to be all new to me & I can't wait! (terrified about the my grades though! :frown: ) Diversity is the spice of life!
Katie J
I've only ever really known 2 privately educated people, so its going to be all new to me & I can't wait! (terrified about the my grades though! :frown: ) Diversity is the spice of life!

Well you'll be at an advantage, as you'll except everybody for who they are and I'm sure you'll get the grades!
Reply 24
katiyakat
A friend of mine who applied and received an offer from New College, Oxford overheard a conversation between 2 private school pupils staying in the same corridor who proclaimed loudly that state school people should not be allowed to apply to Oxbridge. Made her feel really welcome and confident...

So clearly real attitudes similar to Tek2's actually do still exist.

Yes these people do exist but in shrinking numbers. It really is odd that so many tutors at Oxford and Cambridge are continually fooled by them. Very few do well at Oxford once removed from the nannying of their schools. It's a shame the universities don't/cannot publish a breakdown of degree results by school type. It would tell an interesting story.
Reply 25
Aww thanks happysunshine! :smile: I'm going to have to work my socks off from now until the exams if I am to get them! I'm drowning in coursework at the moment & I think I messed up my Jan modules so its all stress at the moment!

Which course will you be studying?

It's going to be full of new experiences for everyone, so exciting! :smile:
Reply 26
dear Tek

well i lack a private school education, therefore i am, in your apparent opinion, not worthy of very much at all.

when did u become so up yourself with self importance exactly, or were you born with it?

where are you going to university, just out of total and utter hope that your not going to mine?

Love Tek2

p.s. sorry guys, i confess to being utterly crap at satire, but i just had to try.
Reply 27
Hmm, as staunch oppsoition to tek i must say NICE ONE!

(work on the satire mate, could be very funny if you did).

Do answer tek, where are you going to uni?
Reply 28
Katie J

It's not that hard for us to adjust to uni life and living with "real people." Ok, so I didn't pay full fees at school (one of the last assisted places) and my parents aren't well off by anyone's reckoning, but I was at private school for 7 years, and I've done just fine coming out of it - nothing wrong with "real life" at all, and in fact life's not that much different.
Helenia
It's not that hard for us to adjust to uni life and living with "real people." Ok, so I didn't pay full fees at school (one of the last assisted places) and my parents aren't well off by anyone's reckoning, but I was at private school for 7 years, and I've done just fine coming out of it - nothing wrong with "real life" at all, and in fact life's not that much different.

I wouldn't really say Cambridge is the real world though, to be fair...
Reply 30
hildabeast
I wouldn't really say Cambridge is the real world though, to be fair...

This is very true. It's still airy fairy land really, but I was just saying, I didn't have any problems getting used to it here, and nor did any of my privately-educated friends.

Joey - sorry for not being Northern enough for you, but you can hardly talk - going to a famous rugby playing boarding school is not quite reality either!
Reply 31
Joey_Johns
Perhaps. But I am living on my own down south at the moment. In my own house (rented!). Southampton, although nice isngt exactly lovely.

Wouldn't know - have only been there once. I guess Shropshire is quite a soft touch, unless you live on some of the lovely estates in Telford, which fortunately I don't. Well, where I live is crap, but in a different way.
Reply 32
I think I confused some people, lol.
I'm state educated & always have been, I have next to no experience of meeting any form of privately educated people, with the exception of two friends I met a while ago. I'm looking forward (nightmare of AAA permitting, but I will meet new people wherever I go) to meeting people from all backgrounds as at the moment, because of where I live (sunny ol' Wales in a semi rural area) I only know a small (not as in number but diversity) 'group' of people.
It would be a very sad thing to think people would make friends based on their education or parental income.
As I already mentioned, my mum earns far less anually than it would cost to pay for some people anual education.

I love Shropshire, my grandma lived in Church Stretton until she was too ill to live on her own!
Reply 33
Katie J
It would be a very sad thing to think people would make friends based on their education or parental income.
As I already mentioned, my mum earns far less anually than it would cost to pay for some people anual education.

Oh God, no, that doesn't happen! Nobody cares how rich you are or not, or what school you went to. Seriously. Everyone is in the same boat in Freshers' week, most of the privately educated people (or, if they're anything like me) are terrified that they'll be perceived as a snob forever, so everyone is pretty normal.

Shropshire is pretty, but there's not much going on there.
Reply 34
Helenia
Oh God, no, that doesn't happen! Nobody cares how rich you are or not, or what school you went to. Seriously. Everyone is in the same boat in Freshers' week, most of the privately educated people (or, if they're anything like me) are terrified that they'll be perceived as a snob forever, so everyone is pretty normal.

Absolutely, nobody cares about A-level grades etc either...
There are more important things in life.

I would just comment that, Helenia, Clare is a lefty college and as such you probably wouldn't be treated very different even if you were obviously as posh as. Whether this social indifference would hold true for more right-wing colleges I'm unsure, I don't have the experience to know. I should hope it still would.

Alaric.
Reply 35
Helenia

Shropshire is pretty, but there's not much going on there.

Totally agree. Of course there are some twats who think that you're not worthy if you're not public school educated/white/rich/old family/whatever...but this is the MINORITY. Nobody cares, and most of the people from private schools are intelligent enough to be socially aware of their privilege and interested in the issues, if anything. Also Tek, for the record, I would have a look at the statistics for degree classifications at Cambridge. Year on year, Comprehensuive school students perform best in the finals, followed by grammar school kids, followed by private school ones...this isn only true for the final year. Why? Because it takes a while for them/us to get up to scratch in some ways, but the raw potential is there, evidence would suggest....maybe something for you to think about? :wink:
Reply 36
Well, I'm still going to try my hardest to get a first, even if the statistics say I'm doomed to trail in the wake of state school pupils.

Alaric - I didn't realise Clare was that lefty, but then I've not really got that into the whole student politics thing. I have friends at Peterhouse who seem to think that it's pretty much as normal as it is here though.
Reply 37
Helenia
Well, I'm still going to try my hardest to get a first, even if the statistics say I'm doomed to trail in the wake of state school pupils.

Alaric - I didn't realise Clare was that lefty, but then I've not really got that into the whole student politics thing. I have friends at Peterhouse who seem to think that it's pretty much as normal as it is here though.

I really hope you do! Of course those stats don't mean much on an individual level honey, but they are true
Reply 38
ladyvice
I really hope you do! Of course those stats don't mean much on an individual level honey, but they are true

I'm quite prepared to believe they are. And I sort of see why they probably are as well, but can't be arsed to go into an explanation right now. However, as I'm the only person from my school in Cambridge at the moment, despite the fact that it was private, I'd hardly say it was one of the ones that feeds people there every year. Ah, what the hell, I got in somehow, and we'll have to see whether it was worth it in a couple of years...
Reply 39
Helenia
I'm quite prepared to believe they are. And I sort of see why they probably are as well, but can't be arsed to go into an explanation right now. However, as I'm the only person from my school in Cambridge at the moment, despite the fact that it was private, I'd hardly say it was one of the ones that feeds people there every year. Ah, what the hell, I got in somehow, and we'll have to see whether it was worth it in a couple of years...

wel;l to be honest sweetheart, i am pretty sure that the stat applies more to people who come from schools who send half the year to oxbridge (like my boyfriend, who went to westminster, but actually got a starred first...). Hm, losing my point, but bascially, if you're the only perdson from your private school, it quite obviously isn't a conveyor belt to oxbridge! xx

Latest

Trending

Trending