Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's faintly worrying that a number of people didn't realise that this was a troll. It suggest there is some expectation that public school types do actually have this kind of opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek2)
    I think its unfare that anyone can do that. I know a certain person doesnt like me, so they can just give me loads of bad points.
    Nice Signature!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, there is a lot of negativety here!

IM in Australia and i go to a public school and im fairly smart. I have never been bullied or picked on becuase I show some form of intellegence. I dont know whether it's the difference in countries but everyone here gets along just fine! Actually I wouldnt go to a private school if you paid me $1,000,000! I actually chose my public school over a private one and i no way regret my decision.

And if someone wants me not to go to university becuase i go to a public school, id tell them to crawl out of the hole they came out of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)

IM in Australia and i go to a public school and im fairly smart. I have never been bullied or picked on becuase I show some form of intellegence. I dont know whether it's the difference in countries but everyone here gets along just fine! Actually I wouldnt go to a private school if you paid me $1,000,000! I actually chose my public school over a private one and i no way regret my decision.

And if someone wants me not to go to university becuase i go to a public school, id tell them to crawl out of the hole they came out of.
    It may be a difference in countries but I doubt it, it's more likely a difference in state schools. I'm glad you've had a nice time at your state school but that isn't often the case for people here, whether it be education or the people who are at their schools. Quite a lot of people want to make school better for everyone, I don't I want to make it better only for those who do care about their education and the rest I don't give a about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)

For future note, a public school in England is one where you have to pay fees. A state school is free.

ReputationRep:

First of all I wrote this reply at 12pm last nite, i wasnt drunk but i still stand by all my principles! Everdawn might be on the other side of the globe but the school or (play school) of MadNatSci might be relieved to know that i think they educate people over there too!! (HARSH I KNOW!!!). I totally agree with Everdawn and if MadNatSci has enough guts then he (i presume) should say this to his face (or as far as he can go!). Regarding my negativity, yes I am a new member and you might be interested to know that MadNatSci was the FIRST one I read, so I felt the need to express the views of the majority of this country. Do you think (MadNatSci) that if your crazy views were even remotely considered by the government then it would be in writing. Sadly they must have got lost with other projects like how to take over the world!!!!

ReputationRep:

I don't get it :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curly)
    First of all I wrote this reply at 12pm last nite, i wasnt drunk but i still stand by all my principles! Everdawn might be on the other side of the globe but the school or (play school) of MadNatSci might be relieved to know that i think they educate people over there too!! (HARSH I KNOW!!!). I totally agree with Everdawn and if MadNatSci has enough guts then he (i presume) should say this to his face (or as far as he can go!). Regarding my negativity, yes I am a new member and you might be interested to know that MadNatSci was the FIRST one I read, so I felt the need to express the views of the majority of this country. Do you think (MadNatSci) that if your crazy views were even remotely considered by the government then it would be in writing. Sadly they must have got lost with other projects like how to take over the world!!!!

Huh? What did I do??

ReputationRep:
    OK, here is the deal. I am confused with the names. Im not sure which one of MadNatSci (although due to (his) 'what did i do' remarks i do not think it is (him) ). It is probably Tek2 which in that case I am now thouroughly confused and apologise to whom i have upset or confused. HOWEVER, to whom did send those 'snobby' remarks because he/she thought s/he was being clever then i say:

BRING IT ON SUNSHINE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curly)
    OK, here is the deal. I am confused with the names. Im not sure which one of MadNatSci (although due to (his) 'what did i do' remarks i do not think it is (him) ). It is probably Tek2 which in that case I am now thouroughly confused and apologise to whom i have upset or confused. HOWEVER, to whom did send those 'snobby' remarks because he/she thought s/he was being clever then i say:

BRING IT ON SUNSHINE!

I suspect you meant Tek2. If you're not sure then I suggest you read through this thread, which it's always a good idea to do before you write vitriolic replies.

Incidentally, I'm female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curly)

BRING IT ON SUNSHINE!
    It was probably Tek 2 who bases his views on Tecwen.

ReputationRep:
    OOOOO dear, wont go away will it. mayb i am a member of this forum and maybe not. who knows eh?

ReputationRep:
    i like my signature too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I'm didn't go to a good school either, one where it is easier to be accepted if you aren't clever but I still stick believe that in the majority of cases if you really want to achieve you can (and you did). I don't give a sh*t about those who are from bad backgrounds/ or go to a bad school who don't care about education and I'm not interested in making anything better at all for them, although I suppose it can be argued that their attitude is society's fault.

If the grammar school system was right and fair, then the best pupils would go there despite not living in the right area or bus costs being a problem (or whatever other reason bright pupils don't go to grammar schools). It annoys me when I know of people who go there who are very well off who don't get as good as results as what I achieved in my mock exams. - Maybe off the point there.
    You suppose rightly when you amke the comment that this could be socirty's fault. I think it callouys and irresponsible to hold your attitude, because it fails to acknowledge and accept that people do not make their own choices at that age, and that peer pressure is a pervasive force. I am not the majority of most cases Happy Sunshine, and you are so wrong when you claim that most people will make it through. Also, your comment about grammar schools works on the assumption that it is a good scheme, which I for one do not agree with....also, the main reason bright people do not go to grammar schools is that relatively speaking there aren't many left.
    How can you say that you are not interested inmaking things better for students who through the norms of the society from which they hail have turned their back opn education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyvice)
    You suppose rightly when you amke the comment that this could be socirty's fault. I think it callouys and irresponsible to hold your attitude, because it fails to acknowledge and accept that people do not make their own choices at that age, and that peer pressure is a pervasive force. I am not the majority of most cases Happy Sunshine, and you are so wrong when you claim that most people will make it through. Also, your comment about grammar schools works on the assumption that it is a good scheme, which I for one do not agree with....also, the main reason bright people do not go to grammar schools is that relatively speaking there aren't many left.
    How can you say that you are not interested inmaking things better for students who through the norms of the society from which they hail have turned their back opn education?
    It is societys fault we make people like that. Grammar school is a good scheme as long as they stick to 'accepting the brightest' students which they don't.

I can happily say I'm not interested in making things better for those who don't give a **** about education (try and make it better but they don't care!).

I don't have much more to say.

ReputationRep:
    My objection isn't that you don't have much more to say, but simply that you appear to have nothing to say at all. You are talking about students who don't give a **** about education, but refuse to see the causes of that....it isn't simply coincidence that so many kids in crap schools don't care about their education. It is a combinatiojn of many factors; poverty, peer pressure, prevailing anti-school cultures, lack of role maodels at home perhaps, bad school to name but a few. Of course there are people who are the exception and make it through, but we cannot use the exceptions to try and argue that those who are REALLY able will make it through. a) It isn't true that the really able make it through and b) We shouldn't only care about the brightest, everyoen deserves a good education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladyvice)
    My objection isn't that you don't have much more to say, but simply that you appear to have nothing to say at all. You are talking about students who don't give a **** about education, but refuse to see the causes of that....it isn't simply coincidence that so many kids in crap schools don't care about their education. It is a combinatiojn of many factors; poverty, peer pressure, prevailing anti-school cultures, lack of role maodels at home perhaps, bad school to name but a few. Of course there are people who are the exception and make it through, but we cannot use the exceptions to try and argue that those who are REALLY able will make it through. a) It isn't true that the really able make it through and b) We shouldn't only care about the brightest, everyoen deserves a good education.
    So it isn't really just a problem with education, we'd have to tackle the other things first before giving the young criminals an excellent education which they wouldn't respond to.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a coincidence that approxiamtely two thirds of young males in British prisons suffer from a specific learning difficulty, especially dyslexia?? I think not. The provision for dealing with special educational needs is sadly lacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Is it a coincidence that approxiamtely two thirds of young males in British prisons suffer from a specific learning difficulty, especially dyslexia?? I think not. The provision for dealing with special educational needs is sadly lacking.
    I agree TOTALLY. Local councils don't have enough money so when children who should be SEN statemented and the school would like to give the child extra one-on-one lessons the council comes around and (because it has little money) gives the school a list of targets to complete that will take 3 years and be of no benefit to the child and only prove that the child needs one=on-one attention.

I know that doesn't really make sense but I'm very very very angry about it because not only does it ruin the child's education, it leaves the child feeling demoralised and generally leads to bad behaviour and the disruption of others.

<seethes>

Schools and these children are too important to just ignore.

ReputationRep:
    of course it isn't just a problem with education, but given that education is the best way for people to 'improve' themselves, it is a serious failing if so many young people don't value it, or are not given the means to further themselves. I agree with Hildabeast, it is shocking how many criminals have learnign difficulties, and no it is not coincidence. Could I also speak from my own experience as a classroom assistant for people with learning difficulties when I say that a child with a negative attitude to education USUALLY has a reason for this apart from general sapathy, even if this is not apparent at first. I also worked with children who had been expelled from school, and let me tell you this, they need people to NOT write them off.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.