English AQA LITB1 shocking exam results?!

Watch this thread
iain7
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My school's English department is, along with geography, the highest scoring department of my school. Last year, the average AS class (of 18 people) received 16 A grades at AS. This year, the average AS class has received 6 A grades at AS.

WTF?!? Most of us thought we did fairly well (or at least not badly!) but some of the best students in our class have got a C or a D in their LITB1 test (Despite getting top or near full marks in their LITB2 coursework) and thus getting a C or a B for their AS grade.

My results for AQA English Literature B are as follows:
Gce English Lit B Unit 1 (LITB1) 072 (c)
Gce English Lit B Unit 2 (LITB2) 077 (a)
This has left me with a B grade overall - all my other AS results are A grades and this was quite unexpected!

Bearing in mind very few people in our year got A grades when normally most of the year get them, is there any chance of an administrative error? I've been told we may be eligible for free priority remarks (I am a hopeful Oxbridge candidate) but should I accept this or wait for the whole year to be remarked (so that the risk of my grade going down is reduced)?
Does anybody else recognise this situation - has it happened anywhere else? We don't know if we really just all failed, if there was a bad marker, or if there was an administrative error..
Anna1234567
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Yes is happened to me as well! In my coursework I got an A and then in my exam I got a U! This also happened to several people in my school where top students got U or Es in their exam. it doesn't make any sense so our teachers are recalling some papers
BeamOfSunlight--x
Report 10 years ago
A similar thing happened in my school. I got 77/80 in cw. I was predicted an A and got an A in the mock and all the practice essays we did but I scraped a B in the exam (84/120) so only just scraped an A overall. I'm pleased but a tad confused! The same has happened to a couple of my friends who were also predicted As - one scraped an A with a low A in cw and a high B in the exam,and another got a C overall, with an A in cw and a D in the exam (that really shocked me.) On the other hand, I know of people who had Cs and Ds in cw and mocks, yet achieved As in the exam. I think the results are fairly typical for my school on the whole, but the distribution is totally bizarre. In the grand scheme of things, I consider myself very lucky!

I just presumed that I had missed the point in the exam, although it was fairly straight forward and I remember thinking that it was alright. However, when I heard about how other people in my class had done, I was seriously confused. I just hope that I don't do it again next year!
pinkrose
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Which texts were you guys doing? xxx
Liam_G
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
AQA English Literature is renowned for doing this I'm afraid :sadnod: I had an A* in my A2 coursework, and then I got an E in my exam, bringing my overall grade to a C. I'm not suggesting that there is no way my exam was worth an E, I was just gutted because I've never performed so badly before :sad:

This happens year in year out :console:
ellmell
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
A similar thing has happened at my school; several students in my class who were predicted As and had been getting As and Bs in mocks (and my teacher marks us fairly harshly anyway so we don't get complacent) ended up shockingly with Es in the final exam. That exam has dragged everyone down at least a grade in my class-I myself had been hoping for an A* but only scraped an A in the exam, so had a mid-A overall. Also, we too experienced the bizarre turn-around of some lower grade students getting fairly high grades in that exam. Consequently, we're all confused and a bit disappointed, and my teachers are recalling all of the papers and requesting them to be remarked. There is definitely something odd going on with this exam in my opinion-it's not in every exam that several A-grade students gain E grades, is it?! I think it was a tricky paper and perhaps the markers have not been flexible in taking into consideration more imaginative points.
daniiibrains
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I've never gotten less than 65/80 in a practice exam and then i got a C in the actual!

so i'm thinking either it was marked wrong or I messed up epically on section B, cos I know I did section A okay.

Does anyone have the EXACT wording/copy of the paper for Section B?

Thanks
Mr Inquisitive
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
72/84 in mock, C in exam?! I got 74/80 in coursework, so definitely getting that bloody exam remarked.
MushyMorshy
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Got a D in my exam yet A in my coursework.

Predicted an A, past papers I got As, teacher said I will do great in the exam etc. etc.

Then get a C overall. W.T.F. Just WTF.
Definitely getting it remarked, I honestly believe the examiner did not mark my work properly. Argh.
Luke_Spin
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I reckon I can beat that in the 'WTF' stakes!

It can be done -

60/80 for LITB2
120/120 for LITB1

Well, I know I'm happy to applaud the examiners...I was one of those whose practice essays were rarely marked as anything much above a C, yet managed to eventually pull off a ridiculously high exam grade. Perhaps it's something to do with certain texts being conducive to higher final marks in the exam? The Kite Runner was my section A, with Hardy, Auden and Enduring Love for B.

I didn't even finish my final question. I can't get my head round it.
Kinesthetic
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
There could be a few reasons why your grades aren't as expected.

Having gone through remarks and clerical checks for my AS last year, I have learned to accept the mark given by the examiners. Having actually spoken to and had an examiner give me feedback on my paper back in Jan, there are certainly areas where our college hadn't explained things as well, and where the mark scheme had been misinterpreted by the teaching staff there.
doloroushazy
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
The same thing happened at our school! There are two lit classes and ours did fairly well, though one girl got much lower than she'd been getting all year. In the other class, I think the highest grade overall was a B, and loads of people got Ds and Es and Us in the exam despite getting B/C all year.
I think they're going to ask for a remark for the other class. It's really worrying
sclez1
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
yeah I had an A in the coursework and then a c in that one, which brought me down to a B overall. I've been a straight A student in English all year so I sent it off for a remark, plus I thought the exam went really well!
Groat
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
There's one thing I took from the examiner's report before I took this exam: AQA LITB1 is all about how the narrative is created, not what is created. My friend got a D in the exam this May and has his script back already. The comments frequently mention how he dips into microanalysis and therefore doesn't get any credit as this isn't an assessment objective.

Other than that, I can't really offer much advice.
EffKayy
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Groat)
The comments frequently mention how he dips into microanalysis and therefore doesn't get any credit as this isn't an assessment objective.

Other than that, I can't really offer much advice.
I agree with that!
One of the section B questions was writing about the significance of descriptive language. Notice how it says 'significance'. This does NOT mean you have to analyse the language in detail.
For one of the Auden poems, I talked about the descriptive language in the sense that it creates a nursery rhyme and a ballad etc, then talked about the irony of it all. So I guess it's more about the collection of language, rather than a micro-analysis?

Hope this helps if you're going to resit the exam
Groat
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EffKayy)
I agree with that!
One of the section B questions was writing about the significance of descriptive language. Notice how it says 'significance'. This does NOT mean you have to analyse the language in detail.
For one of the Auden poems, I talked about the descriptive language in the sense that it creates a nursery rhyme and a ballad etc, then talked about the irony of it all. So I guess it's more about the collection of language, rather than a micro-analysis?

Hope this helps if you're going to resit the exam
If I get my script back I'll upload it for public viewing. I don't even think I properly analysed a single thing that was written in Section B like you would in a GCSE essay!
EffKayy
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Groat)
If I get my script back I'll upload it for public viewing. I don't even think I properly analysed a single thing that was written in Section B like you would in a GCSE essay!
Hey Mr 120/120 ;P
I'm wondering what raw mark you got aha
Groat
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EffKayy)
Hey Mr 120/120 ;P
I'm wondering what raw mark you got aha
I can't imagine it being much higher than 66! I really want to see the comments on my script though.

I must work hard to ensure my coursework gets a high grade next year, else the effort this year will be wasted.
colorvibe
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I got an E in my exam and an A in my coursework, so yes the same thing happened to me as well as two of my friends!
Hal.E.Lujah
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
It's worth remembering that external examiners are probably a lot harsher than your teachers. Also, grading is done on a curve, so certain schools might have hit full marks all over.

Sorry you did badly, resit time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads