The Student Room Group
Reply 1
This has been discussed before - try searching existing posts for answers before asking your question.

Here's the link: http://www.uk-learning.net/t23753.html Your answer is in the bottom half of the page.

And isn't this post meant to be in the academic sub-forum?

J.
Reply 2
Basically it is tre that 100% UMS does not necessarily mean 100% in your exam. The exam boards find the mark that is representative of a C grade. Then they work out what you need for and A and an E. If the standard for a particular paper has been quite lo and you need 70/100 for an A and maybe 60 for a B. In terms of UMS if you take an A to eman 80% then in this case 70/100 would have got you 80%. Then to work out what 90% UMS would be, it would need to be a similar number as the difference between the A and B. Inthis case 80/100 would have got you 90%. It would then follow on that 90/100 would get you 100%. So for this hyperthetical paper you only needed 90% to get a UMS mark of 100%.

Sorry if that was a bit complicated but its quite hard to explain.
That was a wonderful explanation, thank you. The confusion arose when someone told me that UMS changed it AFTER the results were published - so I got sudden terrors that my mark might be changed. Which is a silly fear really, but I like to be irrational. Damn fools telling me lies.
Cheers
xx
Reply 4
yeah its funny because i didnt finish some exams and still ended up with 90/90 marks

how i love UMS
Reply 5
indeedy. I'm sure i got really high in one of my resit units lasy year purely because it was too hard for AS people and therefore despite me doing crapply, the 12th years taking the paper were far worse. Dread to think what i would ahve got without UMS
Reply 6
say if someone did get 100% in the test then u should only be able to get 100 UMS if u got 100% as well
Reply 7
just an example in an ecomomics paper aqa, unit 4, A2 someone in our school got 55/84, not that impressive one would assume but ended up with full ums marks, now wheres the sense in that i ask?!

Latest

Trending

Trending