The Student Room Group

Examples of when remarks have gone right?

Scroll to see replies

Last year (this was GCSE mind you) everyone got really bad grades for one of the English language papers on AQA- like I don't think anyone got above a B or something ridiculous (I got a C and I got an A* overall anyway because of coursework/other paper etc). They sent them back to get re-marked and nearly everyone's papers went up by 2 grades! So it's definitely possible it was just a crap marker or something.
Reply 61
I am getting a priority remark for my f215 biology exam.. Need an extra 5 ums, anybody ever had a biology paper remarked at A level?

Also how long does a priority remark normally take? All I know is it should be ready for the 31st of August.

Reply 62
Original post by Rabs1
My Daughter is in bits as she was awarded a D today for her AQA AS Literature. She has never been awarded anything less than 85% in her work and was told her coursework for the exam was almost degree standard! She was awarded the equivalent of a C for the coursework which I find odd. She was a private candidate and the centre she had to use turned out to be a centre for unruly children. We were totally unaware of this when we booked a place for her and could not do anything about it on exam day as we had travelled from abroad to be there. During the written exam she had to endure students running around, shouting and slamming doors and she was very nervous in the environment. What can I do under these circumstances. So far, three English tutors have read her coursework and said it was outstanding. Please help a worried parent - I am not so much concerned for her grade as her confidence.:confused:

Hey, I got almost full marks in my CW and too did badly on this exam, getting a low C. If you read page one someone else says it's worth getting AQA English Lit AS remarked, and I sent off my forms today. I think if its drastically different from her usual performance then based on these success stories it would be worth getting a remark and then, if the grade doesn't improve, she can always resit.

Hope that helped!
I got my AS level results yesterday, and got an A in Maths, and a B in History, Physics and ICT.

There are two modules in AS ICT, INFO1 and INFO2. In INFO2 I got 95/100 UMS, but in INFO1 I got 64/100. So, overall, I got 159/200. So I was one UMS mark off an A! It's really bugging me. I was just wondering if it's worth getting a remark done for the INFO1 module? How likely is it that I'll get the mark I need?

I've heard it costs £40 for a remark, and I know you get a refund if you go up a grade... but if I don't, £40 is a lot of money to me. :confused:

Thanks for any advice. :smile:
Original post by Languid-Anomie
I got my AS level results yesterday, and got an A in Maths, and a B in History, Physics and ICT.

There are two modules in AS ICT, INFO1 and INFO2. In INFO2 I got 95/100 UMS, but in INFO1 I got 64/100. So, overall, I got 159/200. So I was one UMS mark off an A! It's really bugging me. I was just wondering if it's worth getting a remark done for the INFO1 module? How likely is it that I'll get the mark I need?

I've heard it costs £40 for a remark, and I know you get a refund if you go up a grade... but if I don't, £40 is a lot of money to me. :confused:

Thanks for any advice. :smile:

As it's AS, there's no rush. Ask for a copy of your paper when you go back to school (unless they are staffing the exams office at the moment, which is likely) and show it to your teacher for his/her opinion and go from there. I don't think there's a charge or if there is, it's a small one. No one here can tell you what the likelihood is, but your teacher will have a fairly good idea if it's worth the money.
Reply 65
I got a C in my English OCR last year, then knew something was up, got a remark and it went up by 18 MARKS (:angry: bloody examiners) to a B, which meant I could go to Warwick after all :tongue:
Reply 66
Original post by carnationlilyrose
As it's AS, there's no rush. Ask for a copy of your paper when you go back to school (unless they are staffing the exams office at the moment, which is likely) and show it to your teacher for his/her opinion and go from there. I don't think there's a charge or if there is, it's a small one. No one here can tell you what the likelihood is, but your teacher will have a fairly good idea if it's worth the money.

do you have to pay for a copy of your exam paper?
Original post by SarahDylan
Does anybody have any stories about people getting papers remarked and having a good outcome? Apparently all the examples on the exam board websites show scripts losing marks instead of gaining them. Personally, I need three more marks to win my place back for my dream course at my dream uni. Does anybody know any stories?

My English paper last year went from 73/120 (C) to 99/120 (A).

Okay, thanks. :biggrin:

I'll go see my exams officer next week and ask about getting a copy of my paper.
Reply 69
i have a friend who a few years ago on a biology paper got an E, and she didn't think that the grade was at all right, she sent it off and it came back as an A! not sure what they were playing at there... im guessing that they got her marks mixed up with some one elses
i got an AS module remarked last year and went up by 11 ums good luck
Original post by small'un
do you have to pay for a copy of your exam paper?

AS I say in the post, there's either no charge or a quite small one, I can't quite remember.
i was 2 marks off an overall A grade in sociology, shall i get it remarked? (AQA)
i was also 2 marks off an overall B in health and social care (OCR)
also, 9 marks off an overall C grade in applied business (edexel)
Do you guys think it would be possible for my marks to go up?
my applied business coursework was a grade B before it was sent off for moderation, now its a grade D :confused:
Reply 73
Original post by driftingaway
i was 2 marks off an overall A grade in sociology, shall i get it remarked? (AQA)

Hey, i'm in the same situation as you there, I'm 2 UMS off an A for sociology AQA. thing is, I got an A in this June exam, it was a high B that ruined it from january (i tried to get that one remarked but it didn't go up), I'm gonna get this June one remarked, i just need it to go up by one more mark :colone:
Original post by driftingaway
i was also 2 marks off an overall B in health and social care (OCR)
also, 9 marks off an overall C grade in applied business (edexel)
Do you guys think it would be possible for my marks to go up?
my applied business coursework was a grade B before it was sent off for moderation, now its a grade D :confused:

None of us can tell you. Marks can go up as well as down. You need to take your teachers' advice. It will cost about £40 per paper. Get a copy of your paper first, if it's AS and you've got the time. It's a lot cheaper and will give a clue as to whether it's worth it.
Original post by Xyonzz
Hey, i'm in the same situation as you there, I'm 2 UMS off an A for sociology AQA. thing is, I got an A in this June exam, it was a high B that ruined it from january (i tried to get that one remarked but it didn't go up), I'm gonna get this June one remarked, i just need it to go up by one more mark :colone:

one more mark? does that mean 2 UMS marks equal to one mark? I say go for it .. it might just go up! I needed 63/90 in the religion paper for the A, but got 61/90. Im hoping my exams office will allow me to appeal for a remark.

i honestly expected to ace my health and social care paper, strangely though all my classmates ended up getting D's and E's. I cant believe it :confused: I only needed two more UMS marks for the B :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
None of us can tell you. Marks can go up as well as down. You need to take your teachers' advice. It will cost about £40 per paper. Get a copy of your paper first, if it's AS and you've got the time. It's a lot cheaper and will give a clue as to whether it's worth it.

unfortunately its my A2 :frown: the exams officers are in again next thursday so i will contact them then. Since it is essay based im hoping it will go up, i just hope my exams officers allower me to appeal for a remark, ive heard that some centres can say no
Reply 77
Has there ever been incidents where papers have been mixed up between pupils?
^ a girl in my school got an A in AS psychology, later on she discovered that there had been a mixup and she had actually achieved a U.
Original post by maxb123
Has there ever been incidents where papers have been mixed up between pupils?

Oh yes. Although to be fair, which I imagine you don't feel like being right now, mistakes are less common than you might expect, given the ENORMOUS number of people/papers/marks involved.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending