Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    It's actually been converted into latin as well, not only that, it's written in metre (elegiac couplets) and even has internal rhymes quite often!
    OMFG
    Who has the time to do these things? And who actualy pays for it to be done?

ReputationRep:
    It's actually been converted into latin as well, not only that, it's written in metre (elegiac couplets) and even has internal rhymes quite often!
    Do yo go to Sedbergh boy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Do yo go to Sedbergh boy?
    No I don't boy

ReputationRep:
    No I don't boy
    Good.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of stuff is translated into Latin (I've got Peter Rabbit and Paddington Bear in Latin, it's amusing to read) but this is the only mainstream book I've heard of going into Ancient Greek -- I suppose it's because HP is so popular. I'll tell my Greek teacher about it, he'll probably buy a copy for the school Classics library as he is so extravagant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Loads of stuff is translated into Latin (I've got Peter Rabbit and Paddington Bear in Latin, it's amusing to read) but this is the only mainstream book I've heard of going into Ancient Greek -- I suppose it's because HP is so popular. I'll tell my Greek teacher about it, he'll probably buy a copy for the school Classics library as he is so extravagant.
    I bet he tells you, that JK Rowling did a classics degree...oh i've seen it all before. All classics teachers are nuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    OMFG
    Who has the time to do these things? And who actualy pays for it to be done?
    People do it most likely for the joy of doing it and the money they get from publishing it.

ReputationRep:
    I bet he tells you, that JK Rowling did a classics degree...oh i've seen it all before. All classics teachers are nuts.
    ah but JK Rowling didn't do Latin and Greek, just Class Civ. When I went down to a Classics open day at Exeter last week they were advertising her as a famous alumna. It's true all Classics teachers are at least a little odd, but almost always in a nice sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    ah but JK Rowling didn't do Latin and Greek, just Class Civ. When I went down to a Classics open day at Exeter last week they were advertising her as a famous alumna. It's true all Classics teachers are at least a little odd, but almost always in a nice sort of way.
    Classics is both where I come from. She durely most know some latin and greek though.

Yes most are also obsessed with sex.

ReputationRep:
    Classics is both where I come from. She durely most know some latin and greek though.

I didn't mean to say that there was anything wrong with class civ, just that she didn't do the languages (and thus, sadly, couldn't write the Harry Potter books in Latin to start with -- would probably get a lot of people learning the language!)

The head of Classics at my school is definitely obsessed with sex, he once told a pupil that he fancied his mother! And he reads the most obscene bits of Catullus with boys who are too young for that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to say that there was anything wrong with class civ, just that she didn't do the languages (and thus, sadly, couldn't write the Harry Potter books in Latin to start with -- would probably get a lot of people learning the language!)

The head of Classics at my school is definitely obsessed with sex, he once told a pupil that he fancied his mother! And he reads the most obscene bits of Catullus with boys who are too young for that sort of thing.
    lol I wasnt getting at you, its just most people who take classical civ at uni do basic and intermediate latin and greek.

I did AS greek, A level LAtin and A level classical civ. Its quite plain from those exams that most classic teachers are obsessed with sex. The worst one was probably part of the set text for classical civ at AS, it had world like 'stiff vagina' in it. My favourite one was my GCSE greek paper though, it was about Darius the Persian king and how he gave prostitutes as gifts to his visitors lol.

ReputationRep:

I think she might have studied Latin and French.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.