The Student Room Group

NHS fees-please help

Dear all.
I am due to start a degree in radiography in the Uk next month.I am an IRISH citizen.Since I got the unconditional offer I have been emailing my course tutor who informed me that the tution fees are automatically paid by the NHS once you get accepted onto the course and there is no paperwork involved.I am aware that I am not eligible for the income accessed bursary(which is fine) due to residency criteria.Anyways,I went to visit the uni during the week and to be on the safe side I visited the student services and asked them are all finances regarding the tution fee in order.I got loads of different answers.First off she said I need to apply for the loan through student finance UK ,get approved and the NHS remimburse..Then she said I need to apply to a finance agency in my home country and then it gets paid for by NHS. I implied I had never heard any of this before.She then changed her mind and said I need to apply on the NHS website for the income accessed award(the application is 36 a4 pages long).I am not eligible for this and all the details on it would apply to someone who is eligible even though I have printed it off and started filling it out.I am SOO confused as to what I need to do.I can't afford to pay the fees myself and I am very worried I will miss an important finance deadline which will cause me to miss my place on the course.Any info would be great.Thank you for reading.
Reply 1
You don't pay the fees - the NHS cover all EU students for health courses. It's all done behind the scenes between the NHS and your uni, you don't need to get involved. The student services people sound like they haven't got a clue what they are talking about!

I can't help you regarding applying for loans though, sorry.
Reply 2
hi i have applied for a nhs bursary but i was wondering if anyone who applied for the nhs bursary also go the grant from their chosen university.
Original post by coolcool
Dear all.
I am due to start a degree in radiography in the Uk next month.I am an IRISH citizen.Since I got the unconditional offer I have been emailing my course tutor who informed me that the tution fees are automatically paid by the NHS once you get accepted onto the course and there is no paperwork involved.I am aware that I am not eligible for the income accessed bursary(which is fine) due to residency criteria.Anyways,I went to visit the uni during the week and to be on the safe side I visited the student services and asked them are all finances regarding the tution fee in order.I got loads of different answers.First off she said I need to apply for the loan through student finance UK ,get approved and the NHS remimburse..Then she said I need to apply to a finance agency in my home country and then it gets paid for by NHS. I implied I had never heard any of this before.She then changed her mind and said I need to apply on the NHS website for the income accessed award(the application is 36 a4 pages long).I am not eligible for this and all the details on it would apply to someone who is eligible even though I have printed it off and started filling it out.I am SOO confused as to what I need to do.I can't afford to pay the fees myself and I am very worried I will miss an important finance deadline which will cause me to miss my place on the course.Any info would be great.Thank you for reading.

The fees are paid automatically. You aren't eligible for the NHS bursary.

Original post by salt9196
hi i have applied for a nhs bursary but i was wondering if anyone who applied for the nhs bursary also go the grant from their chosen university.

If you are NHS-funded, you aren't eligible for any grants or bursaries from your university.
Reply 4
Hi I was in exactly the same position a week ago, we were meant to hear from the nhs but never did. Even though we are not entitled to the bursery we DO still have to fill in the 36 page form so that the NHS know of our existence and pay our fees. Dont panic, there is plenty of time. What uni did you apply to?
Original post by leap1992
Hi I was in exactly the same position a week ago, we were meant to hear from the nhs but never did. Even though we are not entitled to the bursery we DO still have to fill in the 36 page form so that the NHS know of our existence and pay our fees. Dont panic, there is plenty of time. What uni did you apply to?

You don't apply for the NHs bursary if you know you won't get it. The NHS will know of your existence from the list the university sends them. The NHS bursary form is nothing to do with having your fees paid.
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You don't apply for the NHs bursary if you know you won't get it. The NHS will know of your existence from the list the university sends them. The NHS bursary form is nothing to do with having your fees paid.

well I contacted the NHS students grants unit last week and received various emails from them and I can tell you that all EU students DO have to apply for the NHS bursery. I know that Irish students arent entitled to any kind of grants or a bursery but they WONT pay your fees if they dont know of your existence through the bursery application.
Original post by leap1992
well I contacted the NHS students grants unit last week and received various emails from them and I can tell you that all EU students DO have to apply for the NHS bursery. I know that Irish students arent entitled to any kind of grants or a bursery but they WONT pay your fees if they dont know of your existence through the bursery application.

Let me reword my previous post. Your university sends a list of their students on NHS-funded courses to the NHSBSA so their funding for tuition fees is secure for every student taking the course. It's up to the student whether they feel they want/need the NHS bursary, that's why it's up to them whether they apply rather than doing it through the university or the university putting everyone in for it automatically. There is no connection between applying the NHS bursary and getting your fees paid. They are organised separately by different people.

This is definitely correct.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Dear all
Thanks for all your help
In the end I filled up the 36pg bursary form as I rang NHS and they said I need to do this as to confirm(passport,birth cert) I am indeed european and eligible for free fees.Anyways either way I will get the fees paid.
Thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest