hi
    does neone know ne latin?

i really wants to learn some

thanks
    learn english first, then learn another language in use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    learn english first, then learn another language in use
    Just what my reply was going to be, but then I looked at when it was posted, and realised the person probably doesnt visit TSR anymore. :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Carpe diem...I think that's right...meaning live life to the full or something...the only latin phrase I know of. Plus, it's not as useless as some of the others! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yep thats cool latin. Seize the day. Excellent message.

ReputationRep:
    i also did latin GCSE but cant remember one ickle bit of it!!! got a B aswell!

thats one of my regrets actually, wish i'd have learnt a modern language instead and kept it up!

ReputationRep:
    i did the OLC

"Ecce! in haac pictura, puer est

Hic puer est Quintus

Quintus est puer Romanus" yadda yadda yadda

in year 9 i wrote a little short story, "Quintus in Amsterdam", entirely in latin. thats about as close as ive come to being published

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    i did the OLC

"Ecce! in haac pictura, puer est

Hic puer est Quintus

Quintus est puer Romanus" yadda yadda yadda

in year 9 i wrote a little short story, "Quintus in Amsterdam", entirely in latin. thats about as close as ive come to being published
    Quintus was great, and the even more amazing thing is I can still understand that very basic latin. Was that the one with Xanthius the slave or is that "Ho Dikaiopolis" (no greek characters)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Golden Maverick)
    Quintus was great, and the even more amazing thing is I can still understand that very basic latin. Was that the one with Xanthius the slave or is that "Ho Dikaiopolis" (no greek characters)?
    wow! i remember good ol quintus! can anyone remember what the rest of his family were called?

ReputationRep:
    Quintus was the only one who survived Vesusvius, he then ended up in Britian. I think he then went to Alexandria - we didn't use the same books for GCSE so this is my year 9 knowledge only. I remember Rex Cogidubnus though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkthorp)
    wow! i remember good ol quintus! can anyone remember what the rest of his family were called?
    in the OLC his father was Flaccus, his mother Scintilla, his sister Horatia. plus his dog Argus.

wernt there some twins as well the CLC? and they had the same name cept one of them had anti in the front of their name?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonLime)
    wernt there some twins as well the CLC? and they had the same name cept one of them had anti in the front of their name?!
    That was in the Britian one, they were entertainers.

ooooo.. lol i kinda remember that.. i think... We always had to make up plays and flyers about Rome in Latin lessons :rolleyes: the good ol' days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    amo I love
    amas You love
    amat He/she/it loves
    amamus We love
    amatis They love
    amant You love (plural)

(i think)

Mensa
    mensam
    mensarum
    mensis
    mensis

(5 different ways of saying "table" :rolleyes: )

Trust me, you don't want to learn latin, the most useless language in the world.
    I couldn't agree more. i learnt it in year 9 and I don't remember anything, waste of time and my teacher was rubbish, whereas I did german in year 11 and I totally understood it ands I still remember it. Decide for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo_04)
    hi
    does neone know ne latin?

i really wants to learn some

thanks
    i really can't imagine it being that difficult as most of the English language originate from Latin anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it true that there is only one country that still speaks Latin? Can't remember the name but it is like next to Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    i only know one sentence from Latin:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori - it is sweet and fitting to die for your country

got that from the war poem 'Dulce et decorum est' by Sassoon and Owen.
    doing that poem at the moment in class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    i only know one sentence from Latin:
    Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori - it is sweet and fitting to die for your country

got that from the war poem 'Dulce et decorum est' by Sassoon and Owen.
    doing that poem at the moment in class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    lol. You reply quick! compared to most on here.

morituri te salutant i think

those who are about to die salute you

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.