Global Young Leaders Conference? Watch

Zzzz09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At our school students get nominated by our teachers in their senior years, based on their time in the school. Have they shown leadership qualities, initiated a project, extra curricular activities they've participated in and such, are all taken in to account. The nomination might be done differently in different schools though.
effiej
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tom_2007)
My College has gone about selecting the representatives in a very unprofessional way. Favoritism... students that have in the past been generally good students with "some" promising academic skills..otherwise known as the teachers favorites. They were selected upon teacher nominations without an application process for the couple of hundred other students that would be much better suited. a handful of the 7-8 persons selected have NO knowledge on anything other than their general skills and a levels that they are doing. they do not know how the world works. some don't even know who our prime minister is...
is that the type of representative we want being sent to these conferences?
i believe that a short essay from all people who wanted to be involved should have been used. that would have given a much better opportunity for previously "unseen" students to get a chance in life.
Just because the selected are 'pretty' or 'loud' or 'seen' doesn't mean that people who haven't 'put them selfs out there' don't want an opportunity to do something great in life.
equal opportunities... i wish there was someone who runs the conference to see this and how unprofessionally my college has gone about this.
but then again, I'm just one boy, a mere speck on the windshield who hasn't got any authority or momentum to change anything...
enough said...
Our school doesn't do anything like this, doesn't even nominate anyone so I emailed the conference headquarters and they emailed back saying I had been successfully nominated.. so maybe email them and see how it goes?
fanleny
Report 8 years ago
I got the invitation by e-mail as well.
I'm pretty sure that they get our profiles from collegeboard cuz almost no one got this letter from my school.
the tuition is just way too high - 5000 dollars?!
It's just like crazy for me. But it sounds good, you know the schedules. So I'm a little bit interested. I'm just wondering wether it would look good on the college application.
jayzel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LH)
I went on it and got funding - so it didn't cost me anything, and though some of the activities were a bit quaestionable just meeting so many people from so many different backgrounds in two such wonderful cities was an experience I'll never forget.
I've been told that I have been nominated for Summer 2013. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get funding? Did your school cover this or the organisation? Sorry for being nosy, it's just I would love to go but it's so expensive :/ x
AlexClem123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jayzel)
I've been told that I have been nominated for Summer 2013. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get funding? Did your school cover this or the organisation? Sorry for being nosy, it's just I would love to go but it's so expensive :/ x
Yea, I also got put up for it by my school this year and I was talking to one of my teachers and she said that you are able to apply for funding from the actual place, or will simply have to try to fund-raise by doing non-uniform days or a cake/item sale
Zainabb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I received an email and a letter too but i haven't heard of it before. It would cost a lot of money but is it worthwhile for someone who's never been to the us before? I honestly thought it was spam until i got a letter so now I don't know whether i should apply or not. Any opinions?
petrovichp
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what sort of questionable activities?
GoksuK
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Heyy, as it turns out I've been nominated for GYLC. I think most of you are familiar with Model United Nations. I was wondering if I will have to participate in the debates or the meetings actively as a delegate does in MUN conferences or can I just sit and listen?
UnknownXD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have been nominated this year, but i cant afford it. I applied for the scholarship, but they told me if i have been accepted, they will only pay me 10%-30% of the funds, which will still be costly for me. Is there anyway i can earn money for it. P.s i am in a country where i cannot work in public and my school principal will barely allow me to do a bake sale
UnknownXD
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got nominated but it's too costly and their scholarship will pay about 10%-30% of the fund only. I can't afford the rest. Any ideas on how to get more money? P.S: I live in a country where I can't work as a youth and I can't sell things (sadly)
Naira3456
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got the the invitation too. I live in Saudi Arabia. And 2000 dollars is like 12,000 in riyals. Is it worth it? Will it help me if i applied into any college? Or is it just a trip to have fun and stuff? Because it would be pretty useless if so.....
valemv1999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, my name is Valeria, I live in Lima, Peru and I was nominated by my principal to attend gylc next year. However, it costs a ton of money and I'm hoping to get a scholarship. If you could email me to give me some tips on how you did it, it would be awesome
Fayrouz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So a question you did pay something? I got an invitation and I don't know will I pay for no
AakifS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How much funding you gathered?
Sinethyah
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I wanted to know how you received a funding?
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Funding... not a funding. Plus bad thing is you are doing it for gain... not out of passion for a cause. Get your bum back to wherever you came from, this is not the British way.
Hiruksha Deshan
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can you pls tell me about that funding?? Can anyone get that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (234)
60%
No (156)
40%

Watched Threads