How much harder is A2 chemistry than AS Watch

F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
im on edexcel chemistry and i achieved a B for my AS overall in Chemistry, (14 ums away from an A which equates to roughly 6 marks) my question is how much harder is A2 chemistry than AS. assuming i understand the concepts from the george facer textbook well ( so basically i wont have concept understanding issues as im getting a private tutor) however its the application side , does that remain the same as in AS or what??

many thanks because im thinking of retaking unit 2 chemistry in jan, however if i do really well in unit 4 chemistry in jan, then i wont really need to retake unit 2. what do you guys think??

James.
Hanz_a93
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apparantly its easier...well thats what some of the A2 guys at my college said..im on salters btw..dont know about edexcel all exam boards are probs very similiar though..content wise
raheem94
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by James A)
im on edexcel chemistry and i achieved a B for my AS overall in Chemistry, (14 ums away from an A which equates to roughly 6 marks) my question is how much harder is A2 chemistry than AS. assuming i understand the concepts from the george facer textbook well ( so basically i wont have concept understanding issues as im getting a private tutor) however its the application side , does that remain the same as in AS or what??

many thanks because im thinking of retaking unit 2 chemistry in jan, however if i do really well in unit 4 chemistry in jan, then i wont really need to retake unit 2. what do you guys think??

James.
Edexcel AS chemistry is a lot easier than A2 chemistry. I appeared in edexcel chemistry this year and was able to score full marks, 300/300, in AS chemistry but 272/300 in A2 chemistry. Overall my marks were 572/600 an A* grade.

In my opinion Goerge Facer book is the best book for edexcel chemistry and a lot of practise of past papers after understanding the concepts is a good way to score a high grade.

If you didn't do well in unit 2 than you should consider repeating it because unit 4 is a lot more challenging than unit 2. You may would have noticed that the grade boundaries for unit 4 were very high this year.
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
(Original post by raheem94)
Edexcel AS chemistry is a lot easier than A2 chemistry. I appeared in edexcel chemistry this year and was able to score full marks, 300/300, in AS chemistry but 272/300 in A2 chemistry. Overall my marks were 572/600 an A* grade.

In my opinion Goerge Facer book is the best book for edexcel chemistry and a lot of practise of past papers after understanding the concepts is a good way to score a high grade.

If you didn't do well in unit 2 than you should consider repeating it because unit 4 is a lot more challenging than unit 2. You may would have noticed that the grade boundaries for unit 4 were very high this year.
yeah man, i thought unit 2 was good, its just that my peers thought it was hard ! ive already gone through most of unit 4 with my tutor ( went through it at a good speed) and i understand everything clearly, obviously im gonna go through things to recap again but i understand the stuff about acids and bases, negative logs for ph, the mechanicsm for organic chem like sodium borohydride acting as a source of H- ions. its actually more fun and enjoyable these topics, i just need to focus on my exam technique a bit more but yeah would you say having a head start is good in chemistry a2??
raheem94
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by James A)
yeah man, i thought unit 2 was good, its just that my peers thought it was hard ! ive already gone through most of unit 4 with my tutor ( went through it at a good speed) and i understand everything clearly, obviously im gonna go through things to recap again but i understand the stuff about acids and bases, negative logs for ph, the mechanicsm for organic chem like sodium borohydride acting as a source of H- ions. its actually more fun and enjoyable these topics, i just need to focus on my exam technique a bit more but yeah would you say having a head start is good in chemistry a2??
Unit 2 contains many topics due to which people consider it to be hard but on the scoring point of view it is the easiest to score well in unit 2 considering all the 6 units.

Try to solve questions from the past papers as well to check your level. It is good that you have started preparing for unit 4 quite early this will give you lot of time for practise.

By the way which grade are you aiming for?
F1's Finest
Rep:
?
(Original post by raheem94)
Unit 2 contains many topics due to which people consider it to be hard but on the scoring point of view it is the easiest to score well in unit 2 considering all the 6 units.

Try to solve questions from the past papers as well to check your level. It is good that you have started preparing for unit 4 quite early this will give you lot of time for practise.

By the way which grade are you aiming for?
B overall. i just need an AAB for my A-levels to get into a good uni for pharmacy.

so ill keep my A in maths, push for an A in chemistry and you never know how well i might actually surprise myself and pick up an A overall for bio, but thats against the odds lolz
Chillbro957
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you are comparing AS with A2 then comparatively A2 is MUCH MUCH tougher than AS. But if you look at A2 alone then it's hard but not extremely hard, if you start preparation early and do sufficient past papers(6 years atleast). If u do last 6 years past papers (all variants) then an A* is almost confirm , provided that you did the past papers with utmost concentration and understanding. Gudluk...
eznot
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It will be nowhere near the size of the leap from GCSE to AS. Now you have a good knowledge of chemistry from AS you shouldn't struggle with understanding the chemistry, what I found more difficult was simply remembering everything!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?