How to get an A* on A-Level Chemistry? Need tips :) Watch

Alpha-Omega
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm doing both AS and A2 Chemistry next year with A2 Physics and AS Fine Art.

I'd appreciate it if you could share to me what you've done to get that grade. Thanks
Emissionspectra
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just get a good grip of the basics and understand whats going on don't just learn it.
Alpha-Omega
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emissionspectra)
Just get a good grip of the basics and understand whats going on don't just learn it.
Do you have tips on how to get the full marks on questions on the exam papers? I'm doing Edexcel
CapnHooch
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Use the mark scheme to find out exactly how to phrase your answers to questions. It's not enough to just know the content. If your exam technique isn't up to par you could lose out on a lot of marks just because you haven't directly answered the question.
hockeyjoe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alpha-Omega)
Do you have tips on how to get the full marks on questions on the exam papers? I'm doing Edexcel
learn the mark scheme and predict how the exam is gonna get marked
Alpha-Omega
Rep:
?
Ok, thanks! +Rep to all
Venomilys
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not sure if it will work for your exam board. but the CGP revision guides for Chemistry a level is usually the best. I was scoring E's in all of my class mocks, but in the real exam I got a B with 2 weeks of hardcore revision and my CGP guide, nothing else.
student777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I got an A* but in OCR. Hopefully this will still apply in Edexcel.

Get hold of a syllabus and know what you have to learn and what is extra. The textbook and the teacher will tell you complex extra stuff that is interesting but might confuse you. Remember, if it's not on the syllabus you will not be asked about it.
Read the textbook on a topic before attending a lesson on that topic. That way the lesson is more like a revision class
Listen in classes and take notes. Sounds obvious, but the mind wanders. Make sure you undersand the basic concepts and key parts of every topic.
Start learning definitions right from the very beginning- it's dull but will give you marks. You don't need to be clever for this, just have to memorise a few key words per definition.
Do the questions the teacher sets you. They are there to help you.
Start revising early- do LOTS of past papers. I personally did ever single legacy paper and new stle of paper, which was perhaps a bit excessive, but it worked! Chemistry is equally about exam tehnique as it is about knowledge. If you do the papers and look at the mark schemes, you have a much better idea of what to expect and where the marks are given.
Don't be afraid of resitting modules (unless you're going for Cambridge)
Ask for help if you don't know about a topic. If your teacher is unhelpful, ask another one or consider a private tutor. If you get a couple of friends together you can share the cost.

Hope this helps
planetconwy1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey, I got an A* in A-Level Chemistry!

The best advice I can give is to rehearse the mark schemes exactly. I didn't read any textbooks and I wouldn't say I worked too hard around the year, but I spent days and days doing past papers and learning reaction pathways.

Edit: WHAT???? NEG REP FOR TELLING THE TRUTH? YOU DONT NEED TO BE SMART TO GET GOOD GRADES, YOU JUST NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PASS EXAMS!
Brownie anyone?
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emissionspectra)
I think this is really good advice. I don't do any sciences (except psych- considered a science?) anywho, I found that when I just tried to remember and learn things I came out with 64%. (C)

I retook, but this time concentrated on trying to actually understand all of it, and understand it to the point where I could comfortably explain it to someone who has no idea about anything to do with my subject. If they could explain it back, understanding exactly what I had said, then I knew i'd done a good job.

Took a little while, but in my resit I achieved 86% (A), and then 95%(A) in the second unit.
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
Do every past paper and practice question that you can get your hands on, and if you get less than full marks on any of them, revise that topic and try the question again until you get 100%.
I'mBadAtMaths
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ilyas)
I'm not sure if it will work for your exam board. but the CGP revision guides for Chemistry a level is usually the best. I was scoring E's in all of my class mocks, but in the real exam I got a B with 2 weeks of hardcore revision and my CGP guide, nothing else.
I disagree. I used the CGP in year 12, got a B. I used the proper textbook for my course in year 13 (chemical ideas), got an A*.
bumblehoneybee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing both AS and A2 Chemistry next year with A2 Physics and AS Fine Art.

I'd appreciate it if you could share to me what you've done to get that grade. Thanks
MEChANISMS MECHANISMS MECHANISMS. DONT MEMORISE THEM - JUST UNDERSTAND THEM.
J.tytler
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Chemistry AS and A2 in one year with AS Fine art

lol have fun... one of the two will get sacrificed. People underestimate how time consuming A-Level Fine Art is.

Some good advice here though...
Venomilys
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
I disagree. I used the CGP in year 12, got a B. I used the proper textbook for my course in year 13 (chemical ideas), got an A*.
lol yes of course chemical ideas is better, it has so much information. But the problem is is that it is too big to use for your final 2 weeks of revision.

either you have photographic memory or you have been working consistently through out the year

chem ideas = fat text book
CGP revision guide = small revision book

I used chem ideas occasionally, but only to fill the gaps that the GCP revision guide had

EDIT: i was just suggesting a revision guide to the OP
Alpha-Omega
Rep:
?
(Original post by J.tytler)
Chemistry AS and A2 in one year with AS Fine art

lol have fun... one of the two will get sacrificed. People underestimate how time consuming A-Level Fine Art is.

Some good advice here though...
I'll try my best Plus, I enjoy both subjects.
kashim91
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you have the time, read the examiner reports, helps you identify areas were most candidates do poorly, so you know that you need to be more prepared in those areas, which will help prevent 'nasty surprises'.
I'mBadAtMaths
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ilyas)
lol yes of course chemical ideas is better, it has so much information. But the problem is is that it is too big to use for your final 2 weeks of revision.

either you have photographic memory or you have been working consistently through out the year

chem ideas = fat text book
CGP revision guide = small revision book

I used chem ideas occasionally, but only to fill the gaps that the GCP revision guide had

EDIT: i was just suggesting a revision guide to the OP
What grade did you get?
I'm Alive
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aside from the fine tips other people shared with you, the only thing I could say to you is to study the actual marking schemes. Chemistry exams usually consist of past questions but simply rephrased or with different elements/molecules. By studying the marking scheme you will be able to decipher what answer the question wants and if you have good memory will remember what the answer looks like. This is especially true for 5-6 mark questions.

I did A2 Chemistry this year and got a high A and I got that with about 7 days of revision. Revise more and you will get an A*
Venomilys
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
What grade did you get?
I got a B, just at AS level. now doing A2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads