The Student Room Group

Sociology Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

i need major help! can someone please post the aqa a level sociology topics in detail please! x
Reply 81
do you have any tips about the theories are methods ? xxx
I have made some notes on all of the topics that could come up in the exam. Still working my way throughhttp://getrevising.co.uk/resources/sociology_crime_and_deviance_functionalism
Hope this can help a bit.
Reply 83
Is anyone doing global development?
Reply 84
Does anyone know what came up in the jan paper for global development?
Reply 85
Original post by laureneb10
Is anyone doing global development?

I'm doing global development...and in need of desperate help
Reply 86
Original post by sasha165
I'm doing global development...and in need of desperate help
Yeah me too, I feel like i know nothing!
Reply 87
anyone know anything about Northern and Southern NGOs?
Reply 88
Does anyone have the summary answers to the AQA textbook? Been looking everywhere! Anyone pleaaaaase!!!
Does anyone know what came up in the jan paper for global development?

identify and briefly explain three reasons why the birth rate tends to fall as societies develop (9marks)

using material from Item B and elsewhere, asses the impact on war and conflict on development (18marks)

choice between ....

'Urbanisation is a normal part of development and it brings many benefits to those in developing countries'
To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view? (33 marks)

or

Asses the relationship between gender and development (33 marks)
Reply 90
I've been revising for everything...but does anyone have any predictions for tomorrow?
Reply 91
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Hey everyone, I recently got awarded an A (5 marks off an A*!) in my Sociology A-level, and I know that at times it can be difficult, confusing, and people don't really know where the hell to start in their revision!

I took Families and Households, Education, Beliefs in Society and Crime and Deviance, along with the research and theory involved! If anybody has any questions, do not hesitate to ask as I really enjoyed the course and would be happy to help x

I have a question about crime and theory questions :smile: For the 21 marker, say we get asked to 'assess functionalist...' as well as general evaluation, do you need to bring in other theories, i.e.: marxism to evaluate? And the same for the theory question, does it require other theories to evaluate?
Thankyou!!!
Reply 92
Does anyone know what came in the jan paper for unit 4: Crime and Deviance?
Reply 93
I've been revising for everything...but does anyone have any predictions for tomorrow?

How did you find the exam?
Reply 94

Tbh I have no clue, but the questions were nice on the global development section...I did the modernisation theory and dependency theory question for the 33 marker
What about you? Are you doing unit 4 on Tuesday? :smile:
Reply 95
I have a question regarding the theory and methods question in the soc exam on Tuesday. A lot of people have been saying that the theory and methods question will always be a theory and methods question. For example if we were asked 'asses the usefulness of functionalist approaches to an understanding of society' would we have to talk about methods in that? Or could the theory and methods question be theory or methods? I'm quite confused because I'm not sure about how I would incorporate methods into that question.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 96
Tbh I have no clue, but the questions were nice on the global development section...I did the modernisation theory and dependency theory question for the 33 marker
What about you? Are you doing unit 4 on Tuesday? :smile:

Yeah i thought they were quite good but think I messed it up abit, i did the 33 marker on the environment :smile: Yeah...really worried!
Reply 97
Original post by SimplyComplex
Hello,

I've just finished my AS year and got As in my subjects. My head of year made me drop either Sociology or Psychology on results day and I chose to drop Sociology in the end. However, thinking about it the last couple of days, I feel I've made a mistake. I think I have a better chance of getting a higher grade at A2 in Sociology, rather than Psychology..

Anyway, I wondering if anyone that's done A2 Sociology can tell me if the topics studied are noticeably harder than the AS year? People I know in A2 year said the Crime and Deviance paper is really difficult, so I'm just a bit unsure about switching or sticking with Psychology..

Thanks in advance!

I've done both to A2, and Psychology is much more boring, stressful to revise and difficult in my experience than Sociology (where the course is much more interesting and the exams are more about knowledge than regurgitation of facts). Our classes had the same teachers for both subjects over the two years, but as a rule we found that Psych A2 was less interesting and enjoyable than AS, where Sociology A2 was more interesting and enjoyable.

Hope this helps - in the end it comes down to your own personal interests and abilities in each subject, and which you feel will give you the better options when applying to Uni/work (although remember a high grade in Socio looks better than a low grade in Psych, even if Socio is considered a slightly lower on the subject scale :wink: )
Reply 98

:eek: This made me panic like crazy... then I realised you weren't talking about SCLY4 :colondollar:
Reply 99
Original post by H011y94
:eek: This made me panic like crazy... then I realised you weren't talking about SCLY4 :colondollar:

How's revision for unit 4 going?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending