The Student Room Group

Is it possible to study Medicine when you have a family?

Just curious really.

I would love to study medicine but I'm 30, married and have 3 children. I also live an hour away from Glasgow Uni. Currently studying Biomedical so I am aware that it would be a dramatic change of direction and I wouldn't even get in for another few years. But I'm allowed to dream!

Wish I'd got my head together when I was younger.

So really, is it even possible to study medicine when you have to get home at night to make the dinner and put the kids to bed or would I have to put them in care and move out first? :biggrin::wink:
Original post by FluffyTutu

Just curious really.

I would love to study medicine but I'm 30, married and have 3 children. I also live an hour away from Glasgow Uni. Currently studying Biomedical so I am aware that it would be a dramatic change of direction and I wouldn't even get in for another few years. But I'm allowed to dream!

Wish I'd got my head together when I was younger.

So really, is it even possible to study medicine when you have to get home at night to make the dinner and put the kids to bed or would I have to put them in care and move out first? :biggrin::wink:

Somebody on my course originally did a dentistry degree, and she's now about to start second year med, with 2 children and occasionally still being a dentist as well! Her husband's a dentist too - don't know if that makes things harder or easier :p:

It's definitely possible!
Reply 2
So how many days a week do you spend at Uni? And when does work placemnets start, how long is that ontop of Uni? Never thought about how the course is structured.
Reply 3
you would expect to have something timetabled 5 days a week for the duration of the course throughout the semester except around exam time when you get study leave, but you will get mornings or afternoons off here and there. Your clinical training starts in 3rd year where you are actually based in hospitals/clinics etc where you are likely to do more hours per week and more weeks per year than during your first 2 years. It is definitely doable with children etc, you would probably just have to do more planning than your usual school leaver, but there's no reason why you shouldn't give it a shot :-)
Reply 4
Thank you guys. I think I will look into it more.

I'm now debating over HND Biomedical or Anatomy this year, Anatomy would be better to get me into Medicine. And by the time I get around to studying medicine, my youngest will be starting school so things should be easier. Although I will also be 34. And probably I'll die before I pay off all the student debt, my only saving grace is that I am able to repay most of my loans at the end of each year.

And atleast with Anatomy I will know if I am able to do it or not.
Bring your kids to lectures, they'll love it.
Reply 6
Original post by RollerBall
Bring your kids to lectures, they'll love it.

Hmm... They would love all the pee and poo I suppose, plus it would save a fortune on childcare. And we could poke at them for experience.
Reply 7
Hey, Its never too late to start. Im starting at 32 this year! Glasgow are particularly mature friendly, so go for it! There are plenty of people with families, and that have babies during the course. So as long as you are organised, and are great at time management, it should all be fine!
Good luck!
Reply 8
If you're interested, this is a blog on New Media Medicine about a woman applying to and subsequently going through medical school with a family.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Imo, if you really love your children, you wouldn't choose to do medicine.
Reply 10
Original post by Cleoleo

Why? That is such a gerneralised statement, I'd be garetful if you expanded on it a little.
Reply 11
Hi,
I am currently studying A BioChem Degree with the OU, and I would like to study Medicine, if I am offered a place to, starting in 2-5 years time.

I am married with one toddler at the moment, and my wife and I are thinking about having another baby in the next year or two.

I am interested in hearing about medicine students experiences of studying medicine while having a family etc and their study/family life balance.

I think that if medicine is what you really want to study/have a career in, you have to try to fulfill your ambition, it's not doing wrong by your children/partner, as even if you were working in another job, commuting each day, then you still might be away from your family for 10- 12 -/+ hours each day anyway, so you may as well be doing something that you have a passion for. But I do think that you would have to manage your time well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Cleoleo

Harsh much?
Reply 13
Well I have been googling all night and speaking to a few people. This year I will do the HND Biomedical as planned and also get some work experience within healthcare and apply to Stow college access to medicine 2012-2013. It will give me an idea as to whether I am actually cut out for it or not, both from the work experience and the HND course.

I've also found lots of people who have managed to be med students with a family at home, so it is possible. By the time I go to apply to med school my youngest will be starting primary school and my eldest starting secondary school.

Thanks for all your replies.
Well I have been googling all night and speaking to a few people. This year I will do the HND Biomedical as planned and also get some work experience within healthcare and apply to Stow college access to medicine 2012-2013. It will give me an idea as to whether I am actually cut out for it or not, both from the work experience and the HND course.

I've also found lots of people who have managed to be med students with a family at home, so it is possible. By the time I go to apply to med school my youngest will be starting primary school and my eldest starting secondary school.

Hope you don't mind me randomly adding this in at the end but I just want to say that I think it's great that you're thinking about medicine.
The number of people you see in jobs that wished they went to university or done something and not do anything about it is demotivating.

To see you actually consider going back into education and doing what you want to do is great and whatever you decide is the best course of action for yourself I'd be grateful if you'd check back in at some point to keep us updated. It'd be nice to know how you get on.

And if you do decide that medicine is what you want to do then definitely make sure you stick around as I'm sure myself and others will be more than happy to help you with your application as we would any applicant.

All the best with whatever you decide :smile:

Hi im just wondering did you ever do medicine?? If so how did it all work out with having a family? Just im in the same poisition now, any advice is greatly appreciated! :smile:
You might want to consider a Physician Associate Masters

https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/degree-programmes/242/physician-associate-studies/

Would require a move up North

Not a huge amount of jobs right now. But there will be in the kind of time you're talking about.

This role will demand a lot less from you in terms of actual length of time plus your availability, for both study and work. Has a lot going for it financially too - the NHS pays the fees and you get a salary each year of the programme.

Excellent salary prospects and it is basically the role of a junior doctor, without the progression to consultant.

You sound open-minded so read into it.

If Medicine (GEM I assume) is what you want to do, though, don't be discouraged because of your family. In some ways you're better off because you already have your kids. You'll make it work especially with a supportive spouse.

Best of luck.

(lol, just saw this thread was from 5 years ago. How embarrassing).
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending