Ukcat - abstract reasoning help!!!! Watch

StraightUpG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hello

I have my UKCAT test coming up soon and I seriously cannot answer a single Abstract Reasoning section! Has anybody got any tips/methods in answering these questions or any way of identifying trends to look for?? Even by using an acronym to help you identify trends?! ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!
Reck16
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If in doubt, put neither.

I'm afraid that's pretty much all I can tell you.
KR2012
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Practice practice practice! I'm struggling too but feel with practice I'm slowly but surely improving - good luck x
TheMolarBear
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
get the 600Q book! It gives you hints and tips to the possible relationships between shapes. Honestly it's my Bible at the minute! Mines tomorrow...good luck for yours!
Davedude111
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RachRach94)
get the 600Q book! It gives you hints and tips to the possible relationships between shapes. Honestly it's my Bible at the minute! Mines tomorrow...good luck for yours!
Thanks, bought the book, it looks helpful!
Hope your test goes/has gone well
lorry:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
dont be scared to guess - guessing and putting an answer down gives you more of a chance than if you just move on. i guessed the majority of my questions
A Perfect Circle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This was my best section OP (somehow managed to get 850!) so I'll give you my biggest tip.

Well, what I did was something I guess I'd call real-life revision. I constantly went around searching for patterns anywhere I was. Paid close attention to detail and how things differed.

Reading that back it sounds mighty weird but somehow it worked for me. Good luck!
Patchey1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Reck16)
If in doubt, put neither.

I'm afraid that's pretty much all I can tell you.
This was my strategy and I got 702.5
pinkprincess123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by laurie:))
dont be scared to guess - guessing and putting an answer down gives you more of a chance than if you just move on. i guessed the majority of my questions
how on earth did you do soo well??? please please please help me i've got mine coming up so soon!! what were your techniques? and how much did you practice? i've got 10 more days, what shall i do?
lorry:)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pinkprincess123)
how on earth did you do soo well??? please please please help me i've got mine coming up so soon!! what were your techniques? and how much did you practice? i've got 10 more days, what shall i do?
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!

everytime i had a spare minute (cause i was working full time whilst working on the ukcat) i'd be practising computer calculator skills, mental maths, times tables, i'd read articles faster and faster.

have you got the 600Q book? because that is AMAZING for practice - the QR is way harder than in real life, but if you can do that, you'll be fine in the exam! i did that book twice, the official practice tests twice, i also had the book 'passing the ukcat and bmat 2011' just to recap bits and bobs!

look on the tsr ukcat wiki - they have loads of links to websites where you can do practice questions for each section, and a table on how each uni uses the ukcat

good luck!!! im sure you'll be fine!!!

if you need any more help pm me or quote me here/in the main ukcat thread and i'll be happy to help!
Mishadees
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pinkprincess123)
Hi, I registered just now and I'm not entirely sure how to use this so sorry if something comes out wrong

Last year I only 630 and hence didn't get any offers, not even any interviews!! :'( I was told that for every AR question to go through:
S - Shape
C - Colour
A - Arrangement
N - Number
S - Size

Every question is suceptible to SCANS.

And remember, FORGET THE BOX IN QUESTION. That will just confuse you. Use the first 30 secs to find the pattern, then the remaining 30 secs to assign the boxes. Hope that helps.
Bearded Dragon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would you say two weeks is enough time for me to prepare for my UKCAT ?
Patchey1000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bearded Dragon)
Plenty just do an hour a day
IamBeowulf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bearded Dragon)
yeah - you'll probably run out of questions by then though
AspiringGenius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I looked at UKCAT questions, and am just thinking "of **** I'm so not getting into medical school..."
POWCATTY
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
just go through questions and then read the answers and memorise different situations, like possible relationships between no. sides and shape colour. its also not that hard to guess, i guessed around a quater to half of mine and still did well.
MsElla223
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do you think the ' How to master the UKCAT' book by Mike Bryon is any good ??? because everyone seems to have the 600Q book
pinkprincess123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mishadees)
Hi, I registered just now and I'm not entirely sure how to use this so sorry if something comes out wrong

Last year I only 630 and hence didn't get any offers, not even any interviews!! :'( I was told that for every AR question to go through:
S - Shape
C - Colour
A - Arrangement
N - Number
S - Size

Every question is suceptible to SCANS.

And remember, FORGET THE BOX IN QUESTION. That will just confuse you. Use the first 30 secs to find the pattern, then the remaining 30 secs to assign the boxes. Hope that helps.
ok thanks but what is the 'box in question'?
pinkprincess123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by laurie:))
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!

everytime i had a spare minute (cause i was working full time whilst working on the ukcat) i'd be practising computer calculator skills, mental maths, times tables, i'd read articles faster and faster.

have you got the 600Q book? because that is AMAZING for practice - the QR is way harder than in real life, but if you can do that, you'll be fine in the exam! i did that book twice, the official practice tests twice, i also had the book 'passing the ukcat and bmat 2011' just to recap bits and bobs!

look on the tsr ukcat wiki - they have loads of links to websites where you can do practice questions for each section, and a table on how each uni uses the ukcat

good luck!!! im sure you'll be fine!!!

if you need any more help pm me or quote me here/in the main ukcat thread and i'll be happy to help!
thank you so much yeah i've got the 600Q book..is AR also easier in the real thing than in that book cause i find that pretty hard as well? and what about VR?
hmmwhatcanitbe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hahhaahhahhaha, i know this is an old post but i thought that you were just supposed to see if there's the same pattern as in the test box than the one in the different sets, no wonder i got them all wrong
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (221)
12.46%
Excited (166)
9.36%
Worried (309)
17.43%
Terrified (390)
22%
Meh (186)
10.49%
Confused (39)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (244)
13.76%
Impatient (218)
12.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise