The Student Room Group

Further Maths A - level + Maths A - Level or just Maths A-level?

Hi, I think I would gain an A* at GCSE on the 25th, i'm an independent worker, Maths is quite a favourable subject for me, I am in year 10 and my school is telling me to do the Additional Maths Free standing maths qualification in year 11 (september).
Please could those of you who have done further maths tell me if its a crucial to choose further maths if I want to go in the field of physics and also give your opinion on the subjects Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Thanks ^^:biggrin:
Reply 1
Crucial? No, but you should take it anyway.
Reply 2
Not crucial I was told on several occasions I would need it as if it was a necessity ?
I took it and I got lower offers. A few unis state on websites they'll lower your grades if you do maths and f.maths, and a lot more think "hmm, they really like maths, physics is very mathsy, this is good"... you know what I mean. For top universities, a LOT of people applying for physics will have f.maths too. And you get to choose more mechanics modules too. That's usually handy!

Chemistry can be tricky but if you put the work in, you'll be okay. I'm about to go study physics so really don't know anything but hope that helps :smile:
Reply 4
would further maths make a difference at Uni? in Physics
Original post by theMiN

Original post by theMiN
would further maths make a difference at Uni? in Physics

Yes it would make you a lot more competent mathematically which is VERY good when you get onto the harder physics stuff such as modelling using complex differential equations, such as those covered in further maths. Plus I've heard they give lower offers as it's considered a hard subject so your a better candidate in their eyes.
You don't need F.Maths for most Physics courses at uni, but sooner or later you'll be needing the maths taught in F.Maths for Physics. I'd recommend that you take it, I would say it is perhaps one of the most respected A-Levels.
Reply 7
F.Maths is never 'mentioned' as part of an offer, but the top unis in particular will expect it if you are doing a mathsy course. Even just to as level is a benefit. And if nothing else, f.maths is awesome and you will find it helps you out no end in physics if you can understand the further stuff. Whatever we say though, you should just do what you are happy with ... if you think youd enjoy further maths do it. If not, dont cause you wont motivate yourself and if you arent fully motivated it can be tricky at times. Go with what your heart and mind say :smile:
Original post by theMiN
Hi, I think I would gain an A* at GCSE on the 25th, i'm an independent worker, Maths is quite a favourable subject for me, I am in year 10 and my school is telling me to do the Additional Maths Free standing maths qualification in year 11 (september).
Please could those of you who have done further maths tell me if its a crucial to choose further maths if I want to go in the field of physics and also give your opinion on the subjects Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Thanks ^^:biggrin:

Further maths is preferred as a third A-level by many top universities.

Some universities even lower their entry requirements if you take it.

Manchester university offers a scholarship for those who take further maths.
Reply 9
astro physics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending