The Student Room Group

Unplaced students - What are your plans?

Lots of news articles are saying that 220,000 students will be unplaced.

Are you one of these?

Will you reapply next year and take a gap year? Are you going to get a job and forget about uni? Study by distance learning?

Share your plans!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I never expected to actually hit my firm offer of AAA at all. I eventually ended up with BBB which isn't as bad as I initially thought I guess. In advance I had already signed up for the Open University, which admittedly is better for my needs since I only ever wanted the degree and not the student lifestyle. It also gives me the chance to continue working on my book. Alongside this I will look for work in a charity shop so I can get three years of work experience, and I will continue with my freelance writing work on the side.

In the future I want to complete a masters, where I do that I have no idea for now. And I hope to end up in a job where I can use my skills in writing, hopefully as an author.
Original post by Genocidal
Well I never expected to actually hit my firm offer of AAA at all. I eventually ended up with BBB which isn't as bad as I initially thought I guess. In advance I had already signed up for the Open University, which admittedly is better for my needs since I only ever wanted the degree and not the student lifestyle. It also gives me the chance to continue working on my book. Alongside this I will look for work in a charity shop so I can get three years of work experience, and I will continue with my freelance writing work on the side.

In the future I want to complete a masters, where I do that I have no idea for now. And I hope to end up in a job where I can use my skills in writing, hopefully as an author.

What a fantastic idea! What degree are you going to study through the OU? Creative writing?

We (IBAM) partner with a distance learning organisation that offer UK uni degrees online, and they tell us that more students this year are doing a similar thing to you.

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by IBAM admissions advisor
What a fantastic idea! What degree are you going to study through the OU? Creative writing?

We (IBAM) partner with a distance learning organisation that offer UK uni degrees online, and they tell us that more students this year are doing a similar thing to you.

Best of luck!

It's history. It's mainly out of an interest for the subject, but it includes lots of writing anyway so it's all good. :smile:
Original post by Genocidal
It's history. It's mainly out of an interest for the subject, but it includes lots of writing anyway so it's all good. :smile:

Wow, good luck!
im waiting to hear back from UWE bristol about the biomedical sciences degree i sent my clearing application through ucas at 17:55 on thursday. I have rung them up three times today and they said that they are "behind schedule"
Reply 6
I am one of those students :smile:

I'm going to reapply in September and retake a couple exams to boost grades to what I need :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by xshopoholicx
im waiting to hear back from UWE bristol about the biomedical sciences degree i sent my clearing application through ucas at 17:55 on thursday. I have rung them up three times today and they said that they are "behind schedule"

I have a unconditional offer from UWE, Bristol for Biomedical Science but I now decided to go Oxford Brookes instead. You can have my place if you want :smile:
Original post by dollar
I am one of those students :smile:

I'm going to reapply in September and retake a couple exams to boost grades to what I need :smile:

Good luck to you!

What subject are you hoping to study?
Reply 9
Me three. I'm reapplying in October, retaking the one unit that cost me my offer and hopefully saving up in the meantime. I have come to regard missing my offer as a blessing in disguise and instead of messing up my self esteem it has actually raised it and put me in a great state of mind.

Hard work is important and you'll never get what you want if you don't give it your all. My biggest mistake was to just aim for what I needed instead of aiming to surpass my limits. I'm going to absolutely murder my Chem exam in January now. :sexface:
Reply 10
Good luck to you!

What subject are you hoping to study?

Thank you! I'm wanting to study Pharmacy, I needed BBB but achieved BCC (1 UMS off a B in Maths and 12 UMS off a B in Chemistry).
So I think I'll get the Maths remarked to get that extra mark and resit a Chemistry module in January. Hopefully I'll have an unconditional offer in March and I'll get some work experience for the rest of the year :smile:
Gap year, resits, apply for a better university :smile:
Original post by dollar
Thank you! I'm wanting to study Pharmacy, I needed BBB but achieved BCC (1 UMS off a B in Maths and 12 UMS off a B in Chemistry).
So I think I'll get the Maths remarked to get that extra mark and resit a Chemistry module in January. Hopefully I'll have an unconditional offer in March and I'll get some work experience for the rest of the year :smile:

Good idea!

Work experience will go a long way when you graduate and you have got that something extra alongside your degree
Reply 13
Good idea!

Work experience will go a long way when you graduate and you have got that something extra alongside your degree

Thanks, yea I'm hoping it'll help! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Genuinely. No clue. I'd like to do an ostrich and bury my head in the sand. My head is absolutely all over the place. I could have a place at UEL but I don't know if I'd be fine with moving so far from Liverpool. I don't like the position I find myself in whatsoever...
Original post by Deyesy
Genuinely. No clue. I'd like to do an ostrich and bury my head in the sand. My head is absolutely all over the place. I could have a place at UEL but I don't know if I'd be fine with moving so far from Liverpool. I don't like the position I find myself in whatsoever...

Oh no what a shame! London is a long way to go if you don't want to leave Liverpool.

You never know though, you might love UEL if you went :smile:

Have you thought about distance learning? I've heard of quite a few that are gonna do their degree in their spare time from home and get for a full time job.
Original post by Strüberry
Me three. I'm reapplying in October, retaking the one unit that cost me my offer and hopefully saving up in the meantime. I have come to regard missing my offer as a blessing in disguise and instead of messing up my self esteem it has actually raised it and put me in a great state of mind.

Hard work is important and you'll never get what you want if you don't give it your all. My biggest mistake was to just aim for what I needed instead of aiming to surpass my limits. I'm going to absolutely murder my Chem exam in January now. :sexface:

Good for you ..... starting your revision soon I hope. :biggrin:

Highlighter pen should be your best pal over the next 4 months.
Reply 17
Oh no what a shame! London is a long way to go if you don't want to leave Liverpool.

You never know though, you might love UEL if you went :smile:

Have you thought about distance learning? I've heard of quite a few that are gonna do their degree in their spare time from home and get for a full time job.

How reputable is distance learning though?
Original post by ollienbert
Good for you ..... starting your revision soon I hope. :biggrin:

Highlighter pen should be your best pal over the next 4 months.

Starting on the 1st of September! In the meantime I'm just sorting all the admin stuff from last year's cycle and getting some revision books. Never really used highlighters, how did that work out for you? :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by dollar

But won't they ask for higher grades? Like ABB/AAB? Because I am also thinking about resitting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending