Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i smoked for a little while, but outside, then realsed it was pointless, not cool and it was bad for myself, gave up. if you see a reason to give up it isnt hard. one year with no smoking on the 20th feb!!! none of my family smoke, my uncle did but gave up, my bfs family dont smoke and ma gran died of lung cancer for smoking, surely that tells u something- IT AINT GOOD FOR YA! and no, it isnt a free world cos u are inflicting your 'right' to smoke on others, making them passive smokers.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    im wondering coz ive neva smoked in my life but my parents have since i were born (r b4). they have actually smoked in the house though and over the last few years ive realised how annoying it is lol.
    any1 else got parents like this.

My mum's smoked since i can remember.....tried not to for ages but didnt.....didnt bother me coz im used to smoke.....working in bars and all that!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Barman)

My mum's smoked since i can remember.....tried not to for ages but didnt.....didnt bother me coz im used to smoke.....working in bars and all that!!
    Do you think your employer has a responsibilty, under Health and Safety at work, to protect you from the effects of passive smoking (presuming you, yourself, don't smoke)?

I believe this is one of the fundamental reasons that the banning of smoking in bars/restaurants in Ireland was legislated for. There is always the risk of litigation against the employer by the employee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    My mum used to, then she gave it up last year...to become a spiritual person and a health food addict. Yoga every morning, no alcholol, looking after the cholesteral level etc, oh how frustrating.
    better than second hand smoke.....

ReputationRep:
    My Grandma smoked but it was my Grandad who died from lung cancer that spread everywhere. My Grandad didn't smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    My Grandma smoked but it was my Grandad who died from lung cancer that spread everywhere. My Grandad didn't smoke.
    If your grandad lived with your grandma then he smoked too - secondhand smoke. Smoking causes many other cancers apart from lung cancer like bowel, throat, stomach cancers etc. As the smoke is carried through the blood stream its carcinogens are carried to all areas of the body, hence the potential of any type of cancer.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.