The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy!!!

Heyyyy I didn't know where to post this! But I hope that someone could help me!! I was thinking about a career in speech and language therapy. I am doing a degree in fine art and I was just wondering whether anyone would have any suggestions in what steps I could take into getting into speech and language therapy after my degree?? I don't know whether to work my way up as an assistant. I am really not sure how to go about it. Does anybody else do speech and language therapy? Thanks! :smile:
Hi, glad to see you are interested in doing SALT! I am a 3rd year at Reading University and thought I might be able to help! I would suggest gaining as much experience as you can before applying as Universities like to see that you have a genuine interest in helping people and in SALT. Contact local hospitals, community clinics, schools, support groups and care homes and see if you can shadow a SALT for a day or two, also I would reccommend volunteering within the community. There aren't many assistant jobs going at the moment and it isn't necessary to do that before going on a SALT course.
For a course you have two options: the BSc or MSc courses. The BSc is 3/4 years and the MSc is 1/2 years. The only thing with the MSc course is that some universities require you to have done a degree in a related subject (eg psychology) to get onto the course.

Hope this helped, if you have any more questions I'll be more than happy to help.

Claire

p.s. SALT is an awesome course! Good choice!
Reply 2
Awww thank you soo much!! Yes the main thing which I was worried about was the 'having a degree in a related subject' like psychology. I suppose I will have to do some research into the specific courses. Thank you sooo much for your help. I am sure that I will be asking a lot more questions very soon!!! Thank you again!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by whoaitsclaire
Hi, glad to see you are interested in doing SALT! I am a 3rd year at Reading University and thought I might be able to help! I would suggest gaining as much experience as you can before applying as Universities like to see that you have a genuine interest in helping people and in SALT. Contact local hospitals, community clinics, schools, support groups and care homes and see if you can shadow a SALT for a day or two, also I would reccommend volunteering within the community. There aren't many assistant jobs going at the moment and it isn't necessary to do that before going on a SALT course.
For a course you have two options: the BSc or MSc courses. The BSc is 3/4 years and the MSc is 1/2 years. The only thing with the MSc course is that some universities require you to have done a degree in a related subject (eg psychology) to get onto the course.

Hope this helped, if you have any more questions I'll be more than happy to help.

Claire

p.s. SALT is an awesome course! Good choice!

Actually I was just wondering if you knew- Do I apply direct to the universities or do I apply through something like ucas for the courses? :smile: Thanks!
Original post by beccibell
Heyyyy I didn't know where to post this! But I hope that someone could help me!! I was thinking about a career in speech and language therapy. I am doing a degree in fine art and I was just wondering whether anyone would have any suggestions in what steps I could take into getting into speech and language therapy after my degree?? I don't know whether to work my way up as an assistant. I am really not sure how to go about it. Does anybody else do speech and language therapy? Thanks! :smile:

You can't become a SLT by working your way up. You need to have studied a SLT degree which is accredited by the RCSLT and HPC. You apply through UCAS, and you can do a BSc or a MSc, although for the MSc you are recommended to have a relevant first degree, otherwise you will struggle with the content and intensity of the course. Many people on my course (BSc) did unrelated degrees, so it is possible to get onto a BSc course with your degree.
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You can't become a SLT by working your way up. You need to have studied a SLT degree which is accredited by the RCSLT and HPC. You apply through UCAS, and you can do a BSc or a MSc, although for the MSc you are recommended to have a relevant first degree, otherwise you will struggle with the content and intensity of the course. Many people on my course (BSc) did unrelated degrees, so it is possible to get onto a BSc course with your degree.

Ahhhh thank you!! Right well I definitely know what to look at now!! Thank you soo much for your help!! I shall be looking at Bsc courses now :smile: Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest