The Student Room Group

Bham Uni or gap year for IB ?? Advice needed!

Hi guys here's my situation,

GCSE's : 8A*'s, 3A's
AS : 4 A's (physics, maths, economics, DT)
A2: 3A*'s (Physics, maths, economics)

Unfairly my school wouldnt predict me an A* maths which meant my applications economics to LSE and UCL were unsuccessful and the offer i chose was eco at Uni of Birmingham.

I don't know if i should take a gap year, hopefully gaining some kind of placement, then re-apply to the top 5 unis (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick) or just stick with Birmingham.

Obviously the gap year is going to cost me £18k extra in fees so going to a higher ranked uni would need to be worth the £18k! Do you think that my chances in IB will alot higher if I got place at one of the better unis?

Cheers in advance
Reply 1
Original post by derricktrotter

Unfairly my school wouldnt predict me an A* maths which meant my applications economics to LSE and UCL were unsuccessful and the offer i chose was eco at Uni of Birmingham.

I don't know if i should take a gap year, hopefully gaining some kind of placement, then re-apply to the top 5 unis (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick) or just stick with Birmingham.

Obviously the gap year is going to cost me £18k extra in fees so going to a higher ranked uni would need to be worth the £18k! Do you think that my chances in IB will alot higher if I got place at one of the better unis?

Cheers in advance

Birmingham is not really a target university for investment banks and with A*A*A* you deserve to be at a better university. In the long run the additional tuition fee amount you will end up paying if you decide not to go to Birmingham this year will not matter. With regards to LSE you should take on further maths to ensure you stand a good chance for the economics course and also try to get some ib/financial experience during your gap year.
Reply 2
oh ok cheers mate, appreciate the advice.
Reply 3
oh ok cheers mate, appreciate the advice.

No wories dellboy:biggrin:
Original post by twinkl
No wories dellboy:biggrin:

lol at the fact he called you mate. ahahha
Reply 5

Cheers in advance

With your academics you could do much better than Birmingham. I was in similar position to you, except that I decided to go to my "Birmingham" and reapply whilst I was there just in case.

I would strongly advise you to work/do something with your gap year if you decide to take it (eg. volunteering etc). I went to my "Birmingham", applied for uni again, did a range internships during my year there, and got a place at a target, and my internships were big factor in me getting my place. In my first year at my new uni I've achieved a lot more and am a lot happier than I could ever have been at my "Birmingham". With 3A*s you're obviously a smart kid, and if you go to a target uni and get into banking, the extra 18k wont matter.

If you need some hard data, out of all the people with spring week offers this year 72% came from the top 6 target unis (with most spring weekers coming from Oxford, or 16.2% of the total). 1.2% of the total came from Birmingham. So statisctically speaking, your chances are significantly higher (almost 14 times more) if you go to a target uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
With your academics you could do much better than Birmingham. I was in similar position to you, except that I decided to go to my "Birmingham" and reapply whilst I was there just in case.

I would strongly advise you to work/do something with your gap year if you decide to take it (eg. volunteering etc). I went to my "Birmingham", applied for uni again, did a range internships during my year there, and got a place at a target, and my internships were big factor in me getting my place. In my first year at my new uni I've achieved a lot more and am a lot happier than I could ever have been at my "Birmingham". With 3A*s you're obviously a smart kid, and if you go to a target uni and get into banking, the extra 18k wont matter.

If you need some hard data, out of all the people with spring week offers this year 72% came from the top 6 target unis (with most spring weekers coming from Oxford, or 16.2% of the total). 1.2% of the total came from Birmingham. So statisctically speaking, your chances are significantly higher (almost 14 times more) if you go to a target uni.

I never actually thought of doing a year at Birmingham and reapplying, interesting idea, I didn't know they allowed that.

Yes, i will definitely try a range of internships during the gap year, im just finding it hard to get places that take on post a level students. Where did you get, if you don't mind me asking? I think its more about who you know rather than what you know. Think I would also take up further maths as mentioned by twinkl.

I have been getting conflicting advice on how people think Birmingham will affect my IB chances, so its nice for someone to give actual figures :wink:

Cheers Pal, appreciate it.
Reply 7
I went to Bham for Law, regret it now but managed to salvage my IB career with an LSE MSc in Finance and CFA Levels 1 & 2.

If you really want a top IB career, ignore Birmingham. Harsh but fair.

I have found the disparity between undergrads at Redbricks and the top 4 startling.
Go to Birmingham - don't take a gap year.

I met a few Bham Econ students doing front office (IBD) at IBs including Citi, Credit Suisse etc. Others got into BBs for middle office.

Worst case, top up your degree with a masters. If you start your degree now, get relevant experience, internships etc, by the time you're ready to graduate from a BSc or MSc you'd be quite likely to be where you want to be.
I love seeing threads like this, it just confirms to me how easy this **** is going to be for me.
Speaking as a student from UoB, I can tell you this. It'll be harder to get into the industry from here, but by no means impossible.

I know people who had interviews (and got internships) in S&T, corporate banking, AM, PWM, ops to name just a few.

As your university won't make recruiters go 'wow', you need to have other things on your CV to do that, whether that is actively taking part in societies, top top marks in your 1st and 2nd year, assisting on research projects that the lecturers send round from time to time, captain of a sports team (or if you aren't good enough, create and run an intra-league team) or some quality work experience over your 1st summer.

If you do come to Birmingham, make sure you join both the economics society and the investment society. Neither have been fantastic in the past, but they both now have new committees where the majority of people are gearing up to go into investment banking. They might not hold your hand through every step like they might at some of the target unis, but they will do their best to give you the tools, information and experience needed to give you the best chance.

One last thing, I think those statistics above about spring weeks are misleading. I think that success ratios (number of people who got spring weeks/number of people who properly applied) would show a much smaller discrepancy between the top unis and the 2nd/3rd tier of university.
Original post by thegaffer91
One last thing, I think those statistics above about spring weeks are misleading. I think that success ratios (number of people who got spring weeks/number of people who properly applied) would show a much smaller discrepancy between the top unis and the 2nd/3rd tier of university.

If Brum students aren't applying for positions in banking, then what are they applying for?
Original post by Zweihander
If Brum students aren't applying for positions in banking, then what are they applying for?

Spring week-wise, a lot of people aren't applying at all. Either they don't really know the opportunities that are available to them, or they aren't aware of their importance in the grand scheme of things (or a mixture of the two).

When looking at internships/grad roles, a lot of Birmingham students see the Big 4 accountancy firms as 'their level'. I know far more people who have secured internships at these firms compared to IB firms. Indeed, for individuals who have got interests in crossover areas (IBD/corporate finance, AM/Investment consultancy), the Big 4 are seen to be a good backup in case the attempts to move into IB fails.

so did applied for a transfer, yeah?

so what, did you slip into the 2nd year, or did they make you start all over again at year 1?
Reply 14
I'm in a similar situation at the moment, although a different course. I've met my offer for MFL (French and Italian) at Bath, and I achieved 3A*s (Maths, Economics and French) too. I recognise that the ambition to getting into a highly mathematical/economics-based field such as IB with languages is somewhat naive, but in terms of getting onto decent graduate schemes in the future, do people think it's better to get on with it now or take a gap year and go for the *best* unis? Not that Bath is bad by any means. Also, my gcses were 3A*5A 2B if that's anything. I know, I got as many A*s at A-level as I did at GCSE, embarrassing.
Reply 15

That's a complete manipulation or misinterpretation of those statistics. Obviously students at the oxford or target universities will be a higher level of candidate as these universities are harder to get into and with oxbridge will already have interview preparation that will help them in spring week. Your assumption when comparing the percentage of applicants is that they are all equal and that the IB's favor certain universities. Not denying that you will have some advantage going to a taget uni but don't assume that this carried them through the spring week application process.
Reply 16
Original post by thegaffer91
Speaking as a student from UoB, I can tell you this. It'll be harder to get into the industry from here, but by no means impossible.

I know people who had interviews (and got internships) in S&T, corporate banking, AM, PWM, ops to name just a few.

As your university won't make recruiters go 'wow', you need to have other things on your CV to do that, whether that is actively taking part in societies, top top marks in your 1st and 2nd year, assisting on research projects that the lecturers send round from time to time, captain of a sports team (or if you aren't good enough, create and run an intra-league team) or some quality work experience over your 1st summer.

If you do come to Birmingham, make sure you join both the economics society and the investment society. Neither have been fantastic in the past, but they both now have new committees where the majority of people are gearing up to go into investment banking. They might not hold your hand through every step like they might at some of the target unis, but they will do their best to give you the tools, information and experience needed to give you the best chance.

I'm the president of Investmenst Society at Bham uni this year and I've certainly geared it towards IB/Finance as much as anyone could have. www.uobinvestmentsociety.co.uk <-- events there. I'm also working quite closely with Econsoc as well.. which was unheard of before, and they've got some great events coming up too. Will be a great year. So to OP, come to Birmingham :smile:
Original post by Hampstead_K
I went to Bham for Law, regret it now but managed to salvage my IB career with an LSE MSc in Finance and CFA Levels 1 & 2.

If you really want a top IB career, ignore Birmingham. Harsh but fair.

I have found the disparity between undergrads at Redbricks and the top 4 startling.

wow that is interesting, but isn't the finance MSc from LSE requiring quantitative undergrad as part of it's entry

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending