The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are certainly Asian cliques. Then again there are white cliques. And fully integrated peer groups...

Hard to say really. The make up is no different really than any other London university.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Hmmmm.
I wouldn't say there were too many asians but they do seem to hang around together.
I think thats partly the uni's fault. I live in Pooley House and it seems as though all the asians have been concentrated into certain flats, which sort of causes segregation.
I may be wrong, but thats how it seems.
Reply 3
Naino
Hmmmm.
I wouldn't say there were too many asians but they do seem to hang around together.
I think thats partly the uni's fault. I live in Pooley House and it seems as though all the asians have been concentrated into certain flats, which sort of causes segregation.
I may be wrong, but thats how it seems.

^^^ I think it's quite sad at how they've grouped all the medics this year. Last year flats were mixed, but it cost the uni money come summer because of our longer terms (they couldn't let most of the flats for a few weeks as they nearly all had a random medic in them!).

Quite a few of my friends in my year now live in mixed houses with other QM peeps - mostly met in halls. I doubt it will happen to the same extent next year when this years 1st years move on, which is sad and adds yet another QMUL imposed level of segregation...
Reply 4
I've been at QMUL for 5 years. QMUL is quite mixed, good share of both white and asian communities. No different from any other UoL college I've seen. Has not effected in me anyway. You seem to be concerned about communities sticking to their own. If your not that kind of person, then you have nothing to worry about.

I suppose in any large gathering there is tendency for people from similar backgrounds to stick together. To say that asian looking people stick together is quite something. You have to remember the asian community is extremly diverse and for them to stay together in some way is quite something in this day and age. That's what makes London a strong international community. But I understand what you mean, certain groups do stick together. More common interest societies and less cultural/religious societies might be an answer.

You make uni what it is, if you have an idea, make it happen.
Reply 5
What is the ratio between english students and international students? is it true that they will accept less international students and more english student...well thats for sure...i was just wondering whether you knew about the percentuals. thanks.
Reply 6
Georgia
What is the ratio between english students and international students? is it true that they will accept less international students and more english student...well thats for sure...i was just wondering whether you knew about the percentuals. thanks.

Yes it's true. The Goverment impose caps on international student numbers. There are a set number of places per course, which again varies from course to course. I think our course is about 5% international.
Reply 7
they have more international students than most universities, but thats not a bad thing.

as far as asians, not over represented, the surrounding area is predominantly asian, but i wouldnt say the university is. the diversity is high, but its a good thing. trust me though, whatever race you are, you wont feel out of place because of it.
Reply 8
I think I read somewhere, when i was applying, that overall about 10-12% are international students.
Reply 9
guvno0or
they have more international students than most universities, but thats not a bad thing.QUOTE]

Yeah i know im an international student myself so i was just wondering it was for this that i didnt get an offer yet. The thing is that im european so i dont pay the extra fees. so im the kind of international student that is less wanted if you know what i mean. $$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!
Reply 10
[QUOTE="Georgia"]
guvno0or
they have more international students than most universities, but thats not a bad thing.QUOTE]

Yeah i know im an international student myself so i was just wondering it was for this that i didnt get an offer yet. The thing is that im european so i dont pay the extra fees. so im the kind of international student that is less wanted if you know what i mean. $$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!

International=non eu?? right? :confused:

eu students pay the same fee as the british.... so we still pay..... and if we are financing our studies from "home" that should be a good thing.... right?
Reply 11
till.anna
International=non eu?? right? :confused:

eu students pay the same fee as the british.... so we still pay..... and if we are financing our studies from "home" that should be a good thing.... right?

Yes - international = non-EU.
no no no
i dont get those who say there arent many asians and that the campus is very diversed.

there is certain a lot, i meant A LOT of asians in the uni, you walk down to the campus, library, or classes. you see plenty of cliques.
qm is very very asian predominate. and being a british uni, qm has far too many asians/ international students. white brits are the minority there.

there are even complaints from international students themselves. of course these people want to experience british life and cultures here but they cant find british students easily.

postgraduate courses are worse in the sense that you hardly can find eu students, let along british (as i heard, a lot of chinese)
Reply 13
british is a nationality - i'm asian, burt
Reply 14
graduate_kc
no no no
i dont get those who say there arent many asians and that the campus is very diversed.

there is certain a lot, i meant A LOT of asians in the uni, you walk down to the campus, library, or classes. you see plenty of cliques.
qm is very very asian predominate. and being a british uni, qm has far too many asians/ international students. white brits are the minority there.

there are even complaints from international students themselves. of course these people want to experience british life and cultures here but they cant find british students easily.

postgraduate courses are worse in the sense that you hardly can find eu students, let along british (as i heard, a lot of chinese)

british is a nationality - i'm asian, but im british! and you say there are a lot of asians there, so they shouldn't have a problem finding british students! unless you mean white british students.
Reply 15
That kinda sucks because I love british boys...whats the point of london if i dont get a boyfriend with the accent? :rolleyes:
Reply 16
i read somewhere that 86.8% of the students from qm are from ethnic minoritys
Reply 17
^ wow that's a lot!!
I guess I will add to that figure if I go there then lol!
btw vish, you a fellow patel!:wink: lol
Reply 18
Vishpatel

Not true...

--------------

xxnizxx

btw vish, you a fellow patel!:wink: lol

My god! That's like saying 'Jones' - that's an unusual surname :rolleyes: :wink:
Reply 19
Vishpatel

I have no idea where you got that figure from but you are quite hypocritical of your fellow ethnic minority students when your a ethnic minority yourself. Well assuming your surname is Patel, chances are you are a Gujarti, Indian which represents a largest majority of the asians in the UK.

Moreover, London has 40% of it's community from ethnic minorities who live in harmony and peace, side by side each other. Although some low lifes like to cause a nuisance. So it's understandable to see large amounts of ethnic minorities in any establishment in London.

I class myself as an ethnic minority (very small in fact) as well, but so what? why does it have to be such a big fuss when I'm trying to well for myself and learn about a subject I'm genuinlely interested in. I don't give a two hoots who's in my surroundings as long as I'm not surrounded by bums.

Anyway, from my observations I find that asians themselves seem to find being surrounded by asians in non-asian environments is seen as almost as derogatory. Where as everyone else just gets along with things. If any of you have watched that asian-comedy series 'Goodness Gracious Me' the asian couples trying to British, then you will know what I am talking about.

--------------

Georgia
That kinda sucks because I love british boys...whats the point of london if i dont get a boyfriend with the accent? :rolleyes:

There are plenty of British born peeps at QMUL from white, asian, chinese, etc. Believe you me, we all have thick british accents in disguise :P.

Just ask someone the time and find out : - )

Latest

Trending

Trending