The Student Room Group

Anyone else here dream of moving abroad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MJay91
I don't see the fuss about the U.S. either. Yes, there are some exciting places like NYC or San Francisco, but all in all most places are filled with some very conservative, Jesus-obsessed, extremely patriotic (ignorant) people. The cities are not that attractive either. You have to drive literally everywhere and some neighbourhoods don't even have sidewalks. The poverty rate is very high and you see a lot more homeless people there than in Europe generally. I've stayed with four families and none of them were trying to be energy efficient. They did not recycle at all and once when we left for a few days, they didn't even bother to turn off the computer. I'm also not particularly keen of the gun and hunting culture. People killing deers and then uploading pics of their 'trophys' on facebook. Please don't get me wrong, I really like the U.S. and I'm always sad to leave, but on the other hand I'm happy that I live here. I think Europeans should value their continent a bit more.

Ah yes, the Jesus freaks. I didn't come across too many of them though even though I was in a fairly urban area despite living within the Bible Belt (and it's not a strongly republican state either). They are definitely out there though, since the current Texan republican running for president believes in praying problems away.

And yeah it is a pain that you have to drive everywhere. I think the fact that most of the food in the USA is filled **** and the fact that you pretty much have to drive everywhere are the main reasons why the USA has the world's biggest obesity problem.
I'd like to, at one point in life, live abroad for maybe up to 6 months. However, I have no desire to ever permanently relocate abroad. I just love England too much!
Hey!

I can imagine that many students dream of going abroad, after all, it is really the most valuable experience you can get at such a young age. Both personally and professional it will open you to so many opportunities!

xx
Athena

Quick Reply

Latest