The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Atheists, could you seriously date a religious person (and vice versa)?

Scroll to see replies

I'm an atheist and no, I don't think I could. I just feel like it would cause too many issues. Like, what if I fell pregnant and had to get an abortion and they wouldn't support me, or something.
Reply 61
I'm also an atheist and I have to say it depends. If she wasn't a devout Christian (for example) and didn't practice frequently then yes I could. However, if she was a devout Christian and religion was the most important thing to her then sorry but no, I couldn't.
Reply 62
Original post by JordanR
Yes.

I'm not going to let a matter of faith stop me from being with someone or having children with someone if I actually care about them - that's ridiculous.

What religion their child should be raised as? How about none? A child shouldn't be raised as one religion or another - that's effectively brainwashing. A child should be raised and taught how to think properly, then left to make his or her own minds up - not influenced in any way by their parents' religion. That's what I'll be doing with my kids. I don't care if they want to be Sikhs or whatever, as long as it was their choice.

But don't you think that if you have children with somebody religious they'll want to raise your kids in that particular religion? That's where the big disagreement is.
Reply 63
Original post by Manitude
Ah, k.
I have attempted to plough through sections of the Seamus Heaney translation of Beowulf and picked up a few words. But with basically no guide to pronouncing it I'm very much left in the dark ages (oh ho ho...). I'm familiar with the rune Thorn, and slightly less so Eth so that's handy but the diphthongs (I think that's what they're called) confuse me. I don't know if I should pronounce each half separately or try and blend the two together or simply ignore one half (Like in AEthel/Athel, which I think means "noble")

I remember reading once about the meaning of "Wyrd" (could have spelt that a little wrong) and getting utterly bewildered by that one word. Can you enlighten me?
Basically, the accent is half-Scottish, half-German. 'R' is always rolled with the tongue. 'Æ' is pronounced as 'ah;' 'Æþel' would be said as 'Aa-th-ell.' 'Y' is pronounced... well, that's a hard one; it's like 'U' in French, like a cross between 'er' and 'oo.' The letter 'Æ' is a letter in Anglo-Saxon, not a dipthong; it's the letter Æsh.

'Wyrd' is our own personal fate or destiny.

PM me if you want to discuss this at more length :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by FudgeMonkeys
But don't you think that if you have children with somebody religious they'll want to raise your kids in that particular religion? That's where the big disagreement is.

No. If I was to have children with a religious person, we'd have to both agree that things like religion should be completely down to the individual's choice. If they didn't agree on things like that (obviously not just religion) then I wouldn't have kids with them. Otherwise they could force a whole host of things onto the child, which just isn't fair.
Reply 65
Original post by Tootles
Basically, the accent is half-Scottish, half-German. 'R' is always rolled with the tongue. 'Æ' is pronounced as 'ah;' 'Æþel' would be said as 'Aa-th-ell.' 'Y' is pronounced... well, that's a hard one; it's like 'U' in French, like a cross between 'er' and 'oo.' The letter 'Æ' is a letter in Anglo-Saxon, not a dipthong; it's the letter Æsh.

'Wyrd' is our own personal fate or destiny.

PM me if you want to discuss this at more length :smile:

Wow. I have so much admiration for you right now for being able to learn all of this
:colondollar:
Beggars cant be choosers, but I'd probably avoid the hyper-religious
No, I couldn't.
Reply 68
Wow. I have so much admiration for you right now for being able to learn all of this
:colondollar:
Heh heh heh, thank you :smile: But there's nothing to admire really, I'm just a very sad man with nothing better to do than study arcane, dead languages.
Never, I couldn't even be friends someone who was religious and think altruism is pathetic. One of the things I like most in men is strong atheist beliefs. I despise religion and always have done, it is ridiculous.
I would be totally fine with dating a religious person as long as they were respectful and didn't try to convert me or anything. With the kids issue, I think there's room for compromise. If I theoretically married someone religious, I would be fine with raising our kids around that religion, though I would want them to get exposure to other beliefs as well. I would imagine this would be a tougher thing for religious people to deal with dating atheists, since some of them probably think atheists go to hell and they won't want their partner to go to hell, which could obviously cause some issues in a relationship. Personally I have no problem with it though.
Reply 71
If they're ok with dating me, I'd probably be ok with dating them. I wouldn't mind having a religious wedding, as long as I don't have to convert or lie during the ceremony (I don't want my vows to mention god). I wouldn't even mind the children being baptised, because if they decide not to be religious then it won't mean anything to them anyway. So basically as long as she doesn't mind the fact that I'm an atheist, and doesn't try to force religion on me or the kids I don't really care.
Reply 72
Wouldn't really mind too much
Honestly? No :erm:

I know I'll be negged for this but friendship is one thing, casual dating is another but a serious relationship is different. I'm quite conservative, and it would be easier for both of us if I dated someone who shared my views, e.g. concerning sex before marriage. For that reason for a serious partner I'd probably rule out all non Christians :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
I wasn't sure whether to put this under society, religion or relationships so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

So the title basically. If you don't believe in God would you be able to have a serious relationship with someone who does believe in God? And if you do believe in God could you have a serious relationship with somebody who doesn't? Even if one or both of you plans to have children?

I ask because my Christian cousin has just announced that she plans to one day have a baby with her atheist boyfriend, and I just don't see how they would compromise on something as big as what religion their child should be raised as seeing as they both hold such opposing views.

As others have said, it would depend on quite how serious they take their Religion. If she was really, really Christian (for example), read the Bible day in, day out and constantly slated shows I watch on Discovery, Science, History, Nat Geo, etc, then no, I couldn't. I'd probably back-hand her, or something... :colondollar:

I think the "line" for me when it comes to more small 'c' Catholics is when they believe God made the Big Bang and God set in motion Evolution, etc. I've a Muslim friend who believes this and I'm much more open to such a view rather then completely dismissing those two factors alone.

So yeah, if she was like that, I'd more then happily date her. But if she was, for example, a very Conservative Catholic, definitely not.
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
You have to be baptised to get into Heaven, so why wouldn't your "bf/husband" want that to happen? If you don't believe in an afterlife, why wouldn't you let your child be baptised? It would have zero bearing on you.

its just the whole imposing a religion on a child, promising to raise the child christitan, that i wouldnt want. If when the child got to a sensible age and decided they wanted to be baptised i wouldnt have a problem with it, i just believe it should be the choice of the child what religion they want to be not the choice of parents.
Reply 76
Not if they took their religion seriously. I'm agnostic rather than an atheist though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Even if they don't preach to me or anything I don't think I could do it. I'd just look at them and be like...you believe in GOD. I don't wanna go out with someone dumb lol...
Reply 78
I'm an atheist and my girlfriend is a devout Catholic. We have been together for 3 years now and we respect each other's beliefs. We decided that if we ever had a child then we would allow it to chose its own faith.
As a Christian, honestly, no.
1) Because God says not to:
2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?

2) Because I wouldn't want to go out with or marry someone whom I believe will go to hell when they die.
3) Because on a practical level, as others have said, it wouldn't work with our probably incompatible views on sex outwith marriage, and general lifestyle choices.

Latest

Trending

Trending