Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    You're probably right, the blood can be replaced quickly. Still wouldn't really be of any extra value to give blood if it is not needed.

The reason I propose there is no shortage of blood is because if there were, we'd know about it! The simplest way I can put that without elaborating.
    http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/stocklevel.html

For any one blood type, there is less than 2 weeks stocks. For O neg, which if you do get hit by a car and need blood urgently you will be given, it is 8 days.

Whilst it's not a shortage, we are hardly drowning in the red stuff.

NB Figures correct as of 0140 on 10/2/04.

ReputationRep:
    Fair point, but my point of contention is that individually, no person's blood can ever be NEEDED. Indeed, as a whole, at the population level, blood is needed. That doesn't mean the same as person A's blood is needed, just means anybody of person A's type's blood is needed.
    Sorry find your argument slightly offensive. One man in effect caused the holocaust and turned Germany into a facist state. Please don't preach about how insignificant single people's attempts to make a difference may be.

ReputationRep:
    I don't preach. I think you should try reading the entirety of what has been written before coming to conclusions. I never once said "you shouldn't give blood because bla bla bla...", instead I gave a case for the insignificance of individual contributions considered in isolation.

It is a bit presumptious of you to assume though that if there were a shortage of blood in the system at one point, that the position I proposed would be preserved. The logic is based on necessity. In that hypothetical situation, every donating individual's blood would become needed to reverse the effect of the decline and thus provide the security (stock) required by the system.

If you are going to suggest for me not to preach, then I'd feel obliged to suggest you to read, understand and clarify before you make an indivually-directed response.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to be about 8 stone. I wasn't well most of last year so was never at a constant weight, they like you to be over 8 stone for a while not just on the day because you've eaten loads in preparation! They also ensure you've eaten a full meal that day.

To whoever suggested that as there is no garuntee (sp?) that the blood will even get used so why bother, well if there's even the slighest chance my 10min pint of blood could help someone else then that surely its still worth me giving even if only one pint of many is used.

I was once told that to give a pint of blood is atually a good for the donator, something about speeding the regeneration of cells or something. Is there any truth in this?

ReputationRep:
    If you thought about it you'd realise there is NO shortage of blood in the NHS or private healthcare system. Individually your blood is not needed, if you wish to give it, then I find it overly pretentious to say you're making some sort of profound difference. A drop in an ocean isn't a profound difference. Your blood might actually, if it's of a type for which there is low demand be of extra cost to the NHS to keep it refridgerated for long periods of time as part of a superfluous store system.

Anyways, point is, you give blood because you choose to, not because it changes the world or 1 person's world - they'd survive just as well with another person's blood.
    u dont get the ocean with out the droplets, every single 1 counts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie J)
    I think you have to be about 8 stone. I wasn't well most of last year so was never at a constant weight, they like you to be over 8 stone for a while not just on the day because you've eaten loads in preparation! They also ensure you've eaten a full meal that day.

To whoever suggested that as there is no garuntee (sp?) that the blood will even get used so why bother, well if there's even the slighest chance my 10min pint of blood could help someone else then that surely its still worth me giving even if only one pint of many is used.

I was once told that to give a pint of blood is atually a good for the donator, something about speeding the regeneration of cells or something. Is there any truth in this?
    i was told when i was giving blood that at the moment they have such a short supply that blood is being used within a maximum of three days, eventhough it can last up to 35!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    u dont get the ocean with out the droplets, every single 1 counts

Wow, that's pretty obvious. You don't want too many drops either or you'll flood the entire earth. Thus the (different) individual positions are required and remain valid.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's pretty obvious. You don't want too many drops either or you'll flood the entire earth. Thus the (different) individual positions are required and remain valid.
    hahaha anther1 with alot of sarcasm, its really needed some1 like u

Your position is one of selfishness and utterly invalid. Society crumbles when ideals like yours spread
    J

ReputationRep:
    http://www.blood.co.uk/index.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Your position is one of selfishness and utterly invalid. Society crumbles when ideals like yours spread
    J
    But seemingly if every1 decided to accept the opposite position, blood would be wasted as supply would far exceed demand :-s. My position is not that every1 adopts 1 side or another and get an extreme result - it is that in the balance, individuals adopt different positions. In imbalance, every1 adopts the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    J
    here here!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.