The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I didn't think you were allowed to give blood until you were 18? Anyhow I gave it for the first time back in October, and nearly cried when the nurse told me to be very proud of myself, as i'd just saved a life (I get quite emotional!). The worst bit for me is when they put the pressure thing on you arm - my veins aren't aren't very visible (when i had my tinsils out it took them 10 minutes to find a vein in the back of my hand) so he pumped it really tight and i had the worst pins and needles all down my arm. I kept wanting to bend my arm to get rid of it, but with the needle in my arm I would've stabbed myself!

I think its really important to give blood, my dad had to have a blood transfusion, and I think that cos someone did that for him, I ought to do it for someone else. I don't particularly like needles, but i'd rather be uncomfortable for 10 mins and save someone elses life.
Reply 41
Chicken
I didn't think you were allowed to give blood until you were 18? Anyhow I gave it for the first time back in October, and nearly cried when the nurse told me to be very proud of myself, as i'd just saved a life (I get quite emotional!). The worst bit for me is when they put the pressure thing on you arm - my veins aren't aren't very visible (when i had my tinsils out it took them 10 minutes to find a vein in the back of my hand) so he pumped it really tight and i had the worst pins and needles all down my arm. I kept wanting to bend my arm to get rid of it, but with the needle in my arm I would've stabbed myself!

I think its really important to give blood, my dad had to have a blood transfusion, and I think that cos someone did that for him, I ought to do it for someone else. I don't particularly like needles, but i'd rather be uncomfortable for 10 mins and save someone elses life.
well done!!! its actually 17 the minimum age, the fact that i can always do somethin for some1 else has driven me to put my fears to the back of my mind and get on with it
dont think htheyd accept my blood anyway!
Reply 43
lumpycustard
why?
~*glitter*~
yesterday i gave blood for the first time, ive always said by the time i was 17 i was goin to give blood and ive finally done it, eventhough i do have a genuine phobia of needles i really really wanted to make some difference in the world, is there any1 else that has considered of has given blood, if not im asking u to think about it. :smile:

Nah its my blood I need it I aint giving it away no way. We have a certain amount of blood for a reason... If I got paid enough I might consider it.
~*glitter*~
why?

HIV/AIDS? :confused: maybe?
Reply 46
UK-Learning.Net
dont be an arse!!! why are newbies such twats??
~*glitter*~
dont be an arse!!! why are newbies such twats??

well what other rason wouldnt they have his/her blood? They dont let you gove blood if you are gay maybe thats why then even if you haven't got aids/hiv...
UK-Learning.Net

shut up! i didnt mean it literally! i am bunged up with a cold so they wudnt take it anyway! it was a joke!
Reply 49
lumpycustard

Why not? That just sounds like an excuse to me.
lumpycustard
shut up! i didnt mean it literally! i am bunged up with a cold so they wudnt take it anyway! it was a joke!

Fair enough how wuz I to know... All I know is that they dont take blood if you are HIV/AIDS and/or gay. And hepatitis......
UK-Learning.Net
Fair enough how wuz I to know... All I know is that they dont take blood if you are HIV/AIDS and/or gay. And hepatitis......

ok no prbs! but unless i was stabbed with an infected needle in my sleep im pretty sure i dont have HIV
lumpycustard
ok no prbs! but unless i was stabbed with an infected needle in my sleep im pretty sure i dont have HIV

Okay i apologise. :redface: Just the way it sounded when I read it......
UK-Learning.Net
Okay i apologise. :redface: Just the way it sounded when I read it......

lol *sniff*

ATCHOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Reply 54
UK-Learning.Net
Nah its my blood I need it I aint giving it away no way. We have a certain amount of blood for a reason... If I got paid enough I might consider it.

We do indeed have a certain amount of blood, but you can survive without the pint or so they take away when you give blood. In fact, the nurse told me that unless you're anaemic or something there's no reason why you should faint when you give blood - it's all psychological. Your body makes up the fluid that is lost within a few hours after the donation, and the red cells are replenished within a couple of weeks, so unless you're a top endurance athlete there are no physiological reasons not to.

If we were to pay people for giving blood, where do you think the money would come from, anyway?

There are lots more reasons why you can't give blood than just HIV/AIDS infection. For example, I can't at the moment, because I've been in a malarious country within the last year. I've also just had glandular fever, although I haven't looked into whether that affects things yet, as I know I can't due to the malaria thing. Having your ears pierced, being on any kind of medications, being pregnant and lots of things can mean you can't give blood.

I've been giving blood since I was 17 - I've got my blue card now :biggrin:
Helenia
We do indeed have a certain amount of blood, but you can survive without the pint or so they take away when you give blood. In fact, the nurse told me that unless you're anaemic or something there's no reason why you should faint when you give blood - it's all psychological. Your body makes up the fluid that is lost within a few hours after the donation, and the red cells are replenished within a couple of weeks, so unless you're a top endurance athlete there are no physiological reasons not to.

If we were to pay people for giving blood, where do you think the money would come from, anyway?

There are lots more reasons why you can't give blood than just HIV/AIDS infection. For example, I can't at the moment, because I've been in a malarious country within the last year. I've also just had glandular fever, although I haven't looked into whether that affects things yet, as I know I can't due to the malaria thing. Having your ears pierced, being on any kind of medications, being pregnant and lots of things can mean you can't give blood.

I've been giving blood since I was 17 - I've got my blue card now :biggrin:

I'm a big advocate of it, but can't give blood for certain reasons (not HIV hepB or any such like).
And can people realise you can't transmit AIDS. HIV is the virus, AIDS is the result of having the virus, and is a syndrome (thats what the S stands for). - soz it's one of my pet hates.
I am however on the anthony nolan bone marrow register. They just take a tiny blood sample put you on the register and then if you ever come up a match (odds are low) then they will take a bit of bone marrow. easy (and gives a bit of karma)
J
Reply 56
foolfarian
I'm a big advocate of it, but can't give blood for certain reasons (not HIV hepB or any such like).
And can people realise you can't transmit AIDS. HIV is the virus, AIDS is the result of having the virus, and is a syndrome (thats what the S stands for). - soz it's one of my pet hates.
I am however on the anthony nolan bone marrow register. They just take a tiny blood sample put you on the register and then if you ever come up a match (odds are low) then they will take a bit of bone marrow. easy (and gives a bit of karma)
J
i was also asked about giving bone marrow but i refused because ive heard it can be very painful (im a wus!!), im not very good with pain
Reply 57
~*glitter*~
yesterday i gave blood for the first time, ive always said by the time i was 17 i was goin to give blood and ive finally done it, eventhough i do have a genuine phobia of needles i really really wanted to make some difference in the world, is there any1 else that has considered of has given blood, if not im asking u to think about it. :smile:

So where shall I post it?
Reply 58
Nah Ive never given blood, dont see the point really.
Reply 59
Insania
Nah Ive never given blood, dont see the point really.

If only everybody had your attitiude eh? Then where would we be?

Latest

Trending

Trending