Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want money for blood. So I guess you think people should be paid to volunteer too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    If you were in a car accident and needed surgery and had 100 units of blood pumped through you just to keep you alive through the operation, would you still think the same? Besides, blood donation is anonymous, so having the recipient pay for it would mean that wouldn't be possible any more. I don't want any money for my blood - I can make more, why shouldn't someone else who needs it have some.

Yes, I know - brain not connected to hands while typing. Happens in my Biochem essays too - my supervisor found it very amusing that I wrote about praline in one of them!! (amino acids...)

I'm on the Bone Marrow Register too - it's not likely that someone will need it, but again, it could save their life. Someone said they'd heard it's painful; I think they anaesthetise you when they take it (not sure - depends which method or something) but I guess it could be afterwards. What's a bit of pain compared with someone's life though?
    blood donation isnt anonymous at all, u have ur own unique bar code on it, its like when u have a pet microchipped, all u have to do is scan it and the donors details are all there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Apart from making a huge difference to people's lives of course, no incentive what so ever. I say again "You don't always give just to receive".
    I don't really find that an incentive. I would expect payment for my blood, at the end of the day you are selling a 'product' really. I wouldnt take something from a shop and say 'oh well the shop is doing a good deed because I cant afford to buy it' - that would be theft!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insania)
    I don't really find that an incentive. I would expect payment for my blood, at the end of the day you are selling a 'product' really. I wouldnt take something from a shop and say 'oh well the shop is doing a good deed because I cant afford to buy it' - that would be theft!
    Ok so if/when you go into hospital are you going to pay for the bangades? the plaster? the food? the saline solution?

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly the same is it? At the end of the day I'm not 'selling a product'. I'm giving my blood in the hope that it will help save someone's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    It's not exactly the same is it? At the end of the day I'm not 'selling a product'. I'm giving my blood in the hope that it will help save someone's life.
    Im not really bothered if someone I dont know dies. Might sound a bit harsh but im just being honest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    Yes, but if they paid for the blood they take, then maybe more people would volunteer - sounds shallow i know, but lets be realistic, there are a lot who would say "give my blood away for free, you must be bloody joking".

Tis true, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Im not really bothered if someone I dont know dies. Might sound a bit harsh but im just being honest...
    You are THE most selfish person I have ever seen post on UKL!
    You don't deserve to be treated like nice people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Ok so if/when you go into hospital are you going to pay for the bangades? the plaster? the food? the saline solution?
    YEs I would have through tax! If it is NHS. If not and its private you are still paying. Either way you do pay for it! Not now but when I am in fulltime employment!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, better than lies (i suppose :confused: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)

Im being honest at least im not being morally pretentious. People taht give blood do it to boost their ego and make them feel better about themselves they dont REALLY care about whoever gets the blood...

ReputationRep:
    Im being honest at least im not being morally pretentious. People taht give blood do it to boost their ego and make them feel better about themselves they dont REALLY care about whoever gets the blood...
    Boost their ego? Wotever, maybe they just want to help someone because they might require blood in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Oh so you are going against the medical ideology, I thought medical people were supposed to treat evryone. I thought that was like the code of practice or something. Interesting. So that is a big contradicyion. And anyway I wont need any treatment, I am fit and healthy, and wont need blood so I dont care. I believe in the theory of natrural selection, if someone is diseased then it is up to fate whether they live or die. If they are sick thenn they obviously arent meant to live if they survive then so be it. The survival of the fittest we dont need hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    Oh so you are going against the medical ideology, I thought medical people were supposed to treat evryone. I thought that was like the code of practice or something. Interesting. So that is a big contradicyion. And anyway I wont need any treatment, I am fit and healthy, and wont need blood so I dont care. I believe in the theory of natrural selection, if someone is diseased then it is up to fate whether they live or die. If they are sick thenn they obviously arent meant to live if they survive then so be it. The survival of the fittest we dont need hospitals.
    You have a truely unique way of looking at the world.

ReputationRep:
    If you thought about it you'd realise there is NO shortage of blood in the NHS or private healthcare system. Individually your blood is not needed, if you wish to give it, then I find it overly pretentious to say you're making some sort of profound difference. A drop in an ocean isn't a profound difference. Your blood might actually, if it's of a type for which there is low demand be of extra cost to the NHS to keep it refridgerated for long periods of time as part of a superfluous store system.

Anyways, point is, you give blood because you choose to, not because it changes the world or 1 person's world - they'd survive just as well with another person's blood.

ReputationRep:
    So say you have a car accident, lose lots of blood and so need some blood. WOuld you be happy when you woke up to be given a bill for the blood you were given? I know I wouldn't.

I don't need the blood that I have got, giving a pint every 4-6 months isn't going to kill me, but it's going to help someone to stay alive. It everyone had been that selfish when my dad needed blood, then i wouldn't have him here today. Its a small price to pay really.

ReputationRep:
    There is no non-contradictory medical ideology. In practice it's all down to the doctors what they do. Like if a persistent smoker gets repeatedly admitted with requirement of heart transplants - they can (supposedly within their ethics) choose to not place the patient on a heart transplant list. In the end doctors are just your ordinary folk with some knowledge and not fully-encompassing legal restraints. Individual ideologies play a significant role in medical care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    There is no non-contradictory medical ideology. In practice it's all down to the doctors what they do. Like if a persistent smoker gets repeatedly admitted with requirement of heart transplants - they can (supposedly within their ethics) choose to not place the patient on a heart transplant list. In the end doctors are just your ordinary folk with some knowledge and not fully-encompassing legal restraints. Individual ideologies play a significant role in medical care.
    I really wish I could swear at you! A LOT!

ReputationRep:
    You can :-s... fire away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    You can :-s... fire away!
    I wouldn't waste my time.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.