The Student Room Group

Transferring next year

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Milky Milk
I just have some questions about transferring from one uni into another for second year.

Do you keep the same fees?
On what grounds do the university accept you?
If you don't have the A-Level grades they required this year, but get a very high percentage in your first year at uni, will they let you in?
How do you go about arranging this?

Sorry if this thread has been made before, I couldn't find anything specific and please direct me to the right one!

Thanks

I'm currently in the middle of a transfer so will help the best I can.

1. Although I'm not 100% sure, you may have to pay the new fees. As you have to withdraw from study of your current institution and start a new course at the new institution, you have to go through UCAS again, just put point of entry 2, so you are technically starting their course in the 2nd year, you just have prior credits.

2. Universities can accept you on any grounds they wish, the modules have to be very closely matched up, and they can set whatever requirements they like. I had to have an interview, and do a small test. They often ask for a first or a high two one in first year, and you usually have to meet the original entry requirements. Also, there has to be spaces on the course.

3. See Above.

4. You go about arranging it by contacting universities directly, to gage if there is any chance of a transfer. A lot will say flat out no, if there is a chance, you have to do UCAS all over again. But as you can only put 5 choices on, you do need to contact the universities first to make sure your modules can match up, or else you will have wasted your choices.

The long and short of it is it depends on the universities in question. My transfer was quite difficult to arrange, so you just have to be prepared to put the effort in.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending