The Student Room Group

Bursary question, please help!

So I've just applied for my NHS bursary, I am going to be starting an MSc in Speech Therapy in September. I've found out I will probably be entitled to the full amount, whatever that is (does anyone know?) because my mum's income is essentially zero (she gets money off my stepdad but he is nothing to do with me legally).

I never thought I was entitled to anything because of my stepdad's high income, but basically just found out he doesn't come into the equation and everything goes off my mum, who earns nothing, so is there anything else I can apply for with these circumstances? I don't have much to do with my real father either and he is unemployed anyway.

(Just to clarify I am not trying to get money I don't need - I am pretty poor right now and don't get anything off my stepdad despite the fact that he has a decent income)
Original post by areonite
So I've just applied for my NHS bursary, I am going to be starting an MSc in Speech Therapy in September. I've found out I will probably be entitled to the full amount, whatever that is (does anyone know?) because my mum's income is essentially zero (she gets money off my stepdad but he is nothing to do with me legally).

I never thought I was entitled to anything because of my stepdad's high income, but basically just found out he doesn't come into the equation and everything goes off my mum, who earns nothing, so is there anything else I can apply for with these circumstances? I don't have much to do with my real father either and he is unemployed anyway.

(Just to clarify I am not trying to get money I don't need - I am pretty poor right now and don't get anything off my stepdad despite the fact that he has a decent income)

I believe the full bursary is something like £5000 (income assessed), but I don't know anyone getting that much so I can't be sure.

There's nothing else you can apply for, I'm afraid. Unless you can apply as an independent student?

Quick Reply

Latest