The Student Room Group

How do British Muslim view their country?

A question to all british muslims…..

Do you view britain as your country? If yes, do you believe it is acceptable for you as a citizen to seek change in british society (to suit your values and beliefs) through government policy and the democratic system?

A common assertion is that muslims who want something different to what british society offers should seek to live in a muslim country. Do you believe this is right or do you believe it is your right to seek something different in british society (as long as it doesn’t infringe on the social life of non-muslims)?

Scroll to see replies

Come on, what do you think muslims? I've had plenty of debates with you guys on tsr. There must be someone who can start off this thread by answering this question.
thats a very good question
I think that the fact that muslims usually place religion above country and sometimes even family clashes with the British culture, as it is usually the complete opposite.
Original post by bumblehoneybee
thats a very good question

thanks...... now give me an answer to the question :smile:
Original post by MathematicsKiller
I think that the fact that muslims usually place religion above country and sometimes even family clashes with the British culture, as it is usually the complete opposite.

if you were muslim, how would you answer the thread question (assuming you viewed britain as your country)?
Original post by MonkeyMan2009
thanks...... now give me an answer to the question :smile:

Your question is for muslims though.
Another thread on muslims?...Give them a break! If I was a british muslim, it would be people like you that would make me want to run a thousand miles from this Country.
Original post by bumblehoneybee
Your question is for muslims though.

sorry, I assumed you were muslim through your previous thread....

if you were a muslim and viewed britain as your country, how do you think you'd reply?
if you were muslim, how would you answer the thread question (assuming you viewed britain as your country)?

No, the system is in place to benefit society as it is.
There is no point in changing the system as your religion is a personal (and not a nation - wide) choice.
I love being British, my grandparents migrated here when they were around 17 and my grandmother used to buy royal memorabilia quite often. She was very patriotic about her nationality and I guess I'm a product of that.

I moan about Britain, the weather, the Tories, the awful plotlines on Eastenders, but that's what being a Brit is about. I'm pretty proud.

If by change values you mean introduce sharia law and the extremes that people often attribute to Muslims wanting then, no. If I wanted that then I'd do the logical thing and upstix to somewhere else which could provide me that.

I just want what Britain already gives, freedom to practice, freedom to make my own choices etc

Then again I don't know if I'm the sort of Muslim you're directing this question at ( that is if you actually are directing this at a certain 'type of Muslim' )
Original post by slacker07906
Another thread on muslims?...Give them a break! If I was a british muslim, it would be people like you that would make me want to run a thousand miles from this Country.

its all about "dialogue and debate" :biggrin: (something which muslims actively encourge)

given that musilms on tsr seem to don't want to reply to my thread, I'll ask you.

If you were a muslim and viewed britian as your country, how would you answer the thread question?
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
I love being British, my grandparents migrated here when they were around 17 and my grandmother used to buy royal memorabilia quite often. She was very patriotic about her nationality and I guess I'm a product of that.

I moan about Britain, the weather, the Tories, the awful plotlines on Eastenders, but that's what being a Brit is about. I'm pretty proud.

If by change values you mean introduce sharia law and the extremes that people often attribute to Muslims wanting then, no. If I wanted that then I'd do the logical thing and upstix to somewhere else which could provide me that.

I just want what Britain already gives, freedom to practice, freedom to make my own choices etc

Then again I don't know if I'm the sort of Muslim you're directing this question at ( that is if you actually are directing this at a certain 'type of Muslim' )

this is not necessarily about introducing sharia law throughout britain, but can include introducing elements of sharia law into society (i.e. sharia banking finance system and the talk about "muslim student loans")...

Suppose this question is more for those muslims who follow islam in their daily life and place importance on it and how they live their lives.
sorry, I assumed you were muslim through your previous thread....

if you were a muslim and viewed britain as your country, how do you think you'd reply?

well my family are muslim and are somewhat happy they are british. They see that they dont want to change anything about this country - all they really want anymore is that theres a little less target on 'muslims' in general from the media. They want britain to stay as a liberal country - they and I were recently offended by the burqa ban in France and wishes that britain doesnt do the same.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm a British Muslim with family from North Africa, and despite the fact I was born here and I have lived here for all my life, I respect the views shared by the majority of the British society.

I don't feel it's my country, therefore, I don't feel the urge to try and change the way things are run here. Obviously, coming from Algeria, I won't be as religiously strict as, say a Muslim from Saudi Arabia, but my family maintains the traditions, views and culture that are associated with a typical Algerian family. However, we don't try and change things like many radical Muslims do, like the guy who put up loads of anti-homosexual stickers in and around his area.

On the other hand, I think it's fair as British citizens to have a contribution to changing the society, purely because as we live in such a modern society, we have to welcome the multi-cultural mix with democracy and equality.

Really? That's not "British" culture? We're told that this country is a Christian country. It isn't as it's secular and not a Christian country but nevertheless a lot of Christians will place religion above country.

Then there are those that aren't proud of their nationality, but neither do they have any shame. The reasoning being that they weren't alive when Britain did a proud or shameful act, or could do nothing to stop it.

Then there are those that simply don't think that they are British, White, Black, Pakistani, European, Western or whatever but rather human.

Which person here is not British then?

A question to all british muslims…..

Do you view britain as your country?

Yes, I believe Britain is my country

If yes, do you believe it is acceptable for you as a citizen to seek change in british society (to suit your values and beliefs) through government policy and the democratic system?

As long as my views don't hinder any one elses rights or freedoms, I see why not ie: I wouldn't want Shariah law in this country as it infringes on people's rights or freedoms but I am quite the pacifist so I wouldn't like war, and as such my views would be put forwards democratically and considering that this is a democratic country and we have equal rights, then this is as much my country than the person who's family has been here since the 1000's.

However, I agree with Shariah courts as Jewish people have similar courts, as well as Christians and they have no power at all, except they act as mediators. I disagree with renaming Christmas "Winterval" but agree with Shariah compliant banking (as long as it's not forced), as that's capitalism when companies target different markets; hence that creates growth

A common assertion is that muslims who want something different to what british society offers should seek to live in a muslim country.

You mean like Anjem Choudhry? Yeah, I think he should go live in a Muslim country if he doesn't like it here. He's also a hypocrite. However, if Muslims ask for Shariah banking, and banks think that they could make money from this then what harm is done? - especially when non Muslims can use said services if they wish to do so (It has it's upsides and downsides)

Do you believe this is right or do you believe it is your right to seek something different in british society (as long as it doesn’t infringe on the social life of non-muslims)?

I believe I have as much right to seek something different in society than a non Muslim, as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's rights
(edited 12 years ago)
this is not necessarily about introducing sharia law throughout britain, but can include introducing elements of sharia law into society (i.e. sharia banking finance system and the talk about "muslim student loans")...

Suppose this question is more for those muslims who follow islam in their daily life and place importance on it and how they live their lives.

I hadn't heard about the 'Muslim student loan' thing until reading about it on TSR, talking to a whole load of people about it they hadn't heard of it too. I don't doubt it is a big issue for some Muslims but I don't think, well at least right now, it's something that is not a big concern for many Muslims.

Well I may not be dressed in a burkha/niqaab but I would say I do follow Islam in my daily life and place a lot of importance on it. Judging by my college I'm quite a normal Muslim British teenager. Though I do hate this spectrum introduction, I suppose I'd be your usual moderate muslim.
No, the system is in place to benefit society as it is.
There is no point in changing the system as your religion is a personal (and not a nation - wide) choice.

but isn't that what the democratic process is about? Seeking change according to our needs, beliefs and values? It may not be that of others nationwide, but then they seek theirs through their involvement in the democratic process.

If people don't believe that the system in place is benefitting society, then some may feel inclined to seek change (and this is what I'm asking in the thread).
Reply 18
The same as everyone else?
Original post by Alimbo95
I'm a British Muslim with family from North Africa, and despite the fact I was born here and I have lived here for all my life, I respect the views shared by the majority of the British society.

I don't feel it's my country, therefore, I don't feel the urge to try and change the way things are run here. Obviously, coming from Algeria, I won't be as religiously strict as, say a Muslim from Saudi Arabia, but my family maintains the traditions, views and culture that are associated with a typical Algerian family. However, we don't try and change things like many radical Muslims do, like the guy who put up loads of anti-homosexual stickers in and around his area. On the other hand, I think it's fair as British citizens to have a contribution to changing the society, purely because as we live in such a modern society, we have to welcome the multi-cultural mix with democracy and equality.

I'm not necessarily referring to extremist acts carried out by extremist muslims, but rather changing things by taking part in the democratic process, or wider acts which don't involve extreme acts as inciting hatred against homosexuals or burning flags etc...

Quick Reply