Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie Frost)
    I highly resent that comment, and can't help think of you as a stupid judgemental snob.
    Firstly, the reality is that very few people at Oxford are actually 'posh'. At my interview for Worcester College, the was NOT A SINGLE posh person.
    Secondly, I don't see what you have against posh people. My sister (at Keble college) has posh friends (as in, have a posh accent, rich), and they're extremely nice people (I've met them myself). My sis tells me how posh people at the uni often receive grief on the streets of Oxford by brainless abusive idiots.
    My thoughts are that you are one of the brainless idiots, probably jealous that you can't get into Oxbridge yourself.
    my friend went for an interview at lincohln(sorry i cant spell, i must be a freaking retard) and he said the vast majority of the interviewees were from private school and posh....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosine90)
    (not that i got into MIT!) just wondering how the two science schools compare. any comments?
    is this the massachutes institute of technology....my dad got accepted at both MIT and Imperial and decided to go to Imperial...he said in his day it was better...now i dont know?!

ReputationRep:
    I highly resent that comment, and can't help think of you as a stupid judgemental snob.
    Firstly, the reality is that very few people at Oxford are actually 'posh'. At my interview for Worcester College, the was NOT A SINGLE posh person.
    Secondly, I don't see what you have against posh people. My sister (at Keble college) has posh friends (as in, have a posh accent, rich), and they're extremely nice people (I've met them myself). My sis tells me how posh people at the uni often receive grief on the streets of Oxford by brainless abusive idiots.
    My thoughts are that you are one of the brainless idiots, probably jealous that you can't get into Oxbridge yourself.
    How can he be a 'judgemental snob' if he has been accused by yourself of calling other people 'posh'. LOL.

By the way your last comment is a bit pathetic. You're one to talk.....Didn't you try for Oxford rather than Cambridge for comp sci? I don't see why anyone would choose comp sci at oxford over cambridge unless they're trying to get in for the "name" not the course strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    How can he be a 'judgemental snob' if he has been accused by yourself of calling other people 'posh'. LOL.

By the way your last comment is a bit pathetic. You're one to talk.....Didn't you try for Oxford rather than Cambridge for comp sci? I don't see why anyone would choose comp sci at oxford over cambridge unless they're trying to get in for the "name" not the course strength.
    Crimity, those comments are more pathetic and horrifyingly offensive than Petrozzis'.
    Firstly a simple compsci equation for you:

$posh != $judgemental + $snob
    (i.e. posh people aren't necessarily and aren't usually judgemental snobs)

You were clearly suggesting there posh people are judgemental snobs. To me that makes you no better than a racist, in the way that you discriminate so blindy and naively against posh people.

My last comment was pathetic? I've already explained in another thread my reasons for picking Oxford, the main one being that I simply like it more than Cambridge. Again, another vary judgemental pretence made by yourself.

I really highly recommend improving in the morality and brain cell departments, because to me (and I can imagine anyone with any civility) your comments leave me to believe you are an absolute disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    Crimity, those comments are more pathetic and horrifyingly offensive than Petrozzis'.

You were clearly suggesting there posh people are judgemental snobs. To me that makes you no better than a racist, in the way that you discriminate so blindy and naively against posh people.

My last comment was pathetic? I've already explained in another thread my reasons for picking Oxford, the main one being that I simply like it more than Cambridge. Again, another vary judgemental pretence made by yourself.

I really highly recommend improving in the morality and brain cell departments, because to me (and I can imagine anyone with any civility) your comments leave me to believe you are an absolute disgrace.
    Your arrogance makes me chuckle, but will undoubtedly cause you to be a failure. Please get over yourself before it's too late. You make assumptions about my "brain cell departments" with no knowledge of me, indicating that you are indeed a posh snob who feels that your prospective uni is the be all and end all of your life. Nevermind, I imagine that will be the pinnacle of your life, especially with the attitude you adopt. How sad, I must say.

The fact is, you can't accuse someone of being a snob because they feel that there are too may posh people at oxford, that is totally illogical. Poshness and snobbery are certainly traits carried by the same people (although not always, esp in my case), and people tend to be a snob about being at oxford, rather than criticizing oxford on snobbish grounds. You're a scientist, it shows, don't attempt to understand the english language to a great depth. It is above you. You go on in your own little world, it sure will be funny when reality hits you in the face like a wet trout.

I feel the need to correct your ridiculous code. Hopefully you won't need such basic help when you are doing your degree, or I'm doubtful you'll make it pass the first year.

$snob = $posh + $judgemental

Edit: I've just noticed your comment about racism. I don't think you understand the meaning of the word. Extra worringly, I am a private school goer and therefore considered posh, so does that mean I am racist towards myself? hmmmmmm, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, me a posh snob?
    I was just defending the appalling connection you made between "judgemental snobs" and "posh" people.
    Since you criticise my ability to "understand the English language" and look "beyond the words" (I really don't have a clue what you're talking about), I'll just clarify that the 2 words are not often the same.

You seemed to spend half your post trying to make me out as someone arrogant and self-centred. What on earth does this have to do with me accusing you two of being judgemental? Did I ever make ANY suggestion about university being the pinnacle of my career, or that I am disconnected from reality? You're obviously trying to make some sort of 'comeback' after I compared you to a racist, but have absolutely no basis for the comments you have made.
    I'm not saying I think you're pathetic because I think I am 'above' you, it's just I am very offended by your attitude towards posh people.

I wouldn't mind if Petrozzi just said Oxbridge is full of posh people. But to say he is "very anti-Oxbridge" because of it is somewhat unfair.
    And for the record, I'm not posh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrozzi)
    MIT > all. IMO!

I'm very anti-Oxbridge due to "tally-ho" people who get in, have much respect for the ghetto candidates there though.
    Hey Boss Lady, isn't the motto about 'stupid' men just a little bit feminazi?

ReputationRep:
    MIT is quite a wonderful school. It *is* grouped up there with schools like Harvard and Yale, but is in a different catagory. Kids who go to Harvard are usually only law students, those who go to Yale are anything students, and those who go to MIT are supergeniuses that can build radios out of coconuts. All are equally difficult to get into though, but I like Yale and MIT the best.
    They are extreeeemely hard hard hard hard schools to get into though! Here, out of every highschool, on average, like 2 kids will go to ivy leagues or superschools like that.

I also hear that MIT is one of the BEST party schools in the country, if you're looking for a good education and a good time.lol.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, me a posh snob?
    I was just defending the appalling connection you made between "judgemental snobs" and "posh" people.
    Since you criticise my ability to "understand the English language" and look "beyond the words" (I really don't have a clue what you're talking about), I'll just clarify that the 2 words are not often the same.

You seemed to spend half your post trying to make me out as someone arrogant and self-centred. What on earth does this have to do with me accusing you two of being judgemental? Did I ever make ANY suggestion about university being the pinnacle of my career, or that I am disconnected from reality? You're obviously trying to make some sort of 'comeback' after I compared you to a racist, but have absolutely no basis for the comments you have made.
    I'm not saying I think you're pathetic because I think I am 'above' you, it's just I am very offended by your attitude towards posh people.

I wouldn't mind if Petrozzi just said Oxbridge is full of posh people. But to say he is "very anti-Oxbridge" because of it is somewhat unfair.
    And for the record, I'm not posh.
    There was no need to make some type of "comeback" after you made your post, I have clearly annihilated you arguments which were weak anyway, hence you insistance on not focusing on the main issue of my previous post. Your post is terribly offensive when you compared me to a racist as I'm also an Indian. Your reason for doing so was flawed, to the point of extremity. If you apply your logic to every situation, then everyone is on the same level as a racist. For example, a blonde haired person sees a person with red-hair and comments on it. This, by your logic, means that they should be compared to a racist.
    Logic Man Logic.

Edit: Note that I am not anti-oxbridge due to posh people, or even anti-oxbridge. But i do feel some people are muhc too obsessed with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    Hey Boss Lady, isn't the motto about 'stupid' men just a little bit feminazi?
    hehe and therefore the suffragettes are on the same level as the racists because they feel men are "stupid"? Just applying Jaimie Frosts logic here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cellochickee)
    MIT is quite a wonderful school. It *is* grouped up there with schools like Harvard and Yale, but is in a different catagory. Kids who go to Harvard are usually only law students, those who go to Yale are anything students, and those who go to MIT are supergeniuses that can build radios out of coconuts. All are equally difficult to get into though, but I like Yale and MIT the best.
    They are extreeeemely hard hard hard hard schools to get into though! Here, out of every highschool, on average, like 2 kids will go to ivy leagues or superschools like that.

I also hear that MIT is one of the BEST party schools in the country, if you're looking for a good education and a good time.lol.
    Errr, I appreciate that Harvard's Law school is incredibly well renowed but they do take on SOME undergrad's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Errr, I appreciate that Harvard's Law school is incredibly well renowed but they do take on SOME undergrad's
    I thought there business school was also "something" very big.

ReputationRep:
    I thought there business school was also "something" very big.
    It's pretty well respected, yea.

ReputationRep:
    Why does every thread end up with "Oxbridge - why I don't go there - how I applied and thought I wouldn't get in and finally got in - why I was accpeted and didn't go there - why is the place I'm going to better than Oxbridge".

Seems to me like everyone in Britain (on this board) is obsessed with "Oxbridge". Well, I already know the answer, of course you are not obsessed with it... blabla.

Didn't want to be rude, but as one reads through the threads...

ReputationRep:

A gross sequence of overreactions.

ReputationRep:
    According the US news the top five American Engineering Schools are

MIT #1, Stanford #2, UC Berkeley #3, University of Illinois #4, and Georgia Tech # 5

Source -- http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/gra...rank_brief.php

None of them are Ivy league schools.

Kind Regards
    Farside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wal)
    Why does every thread end up with "Oxbridge - why I don't go there - how I applied and thought I wouldn't get in and finally got in - why I was accpeted and didn't go there - why is the place I'm going to better than Oxbridge".

Seems to me like everyone in Britain (on this board) is obsessed with "Oxbridge". Well, I already know the answer, of course you are not obsessed with it... blabla.

Didn't want to be rude, but as one reads through the threads...

Beacause you're post is pertinent to the original post of course

Back to the subject in hand, is Imperial well known in the USA like how MIT is well known here? In fact has the average American heard of Imperial?? Hmm then again, I'm not sure the average Briton has heard of MIT.....

ReputationRep:
    I just had to say this once, it will change nothing and it was practically useless, it was merely a personal thing.

ReputationRep:
    Beacause you're post is pertinent to the original post of course

Back to the subject in hand, is Imperial well known in the USA like how MIT is well known here? In fact has the average American heard of Imperial?? Hmm then again, I'm not sure the average Briton has heard of MIT.....

Only people who have researched UK universities with the intention of studying here know of IC. Other than that, nobody has heard of it. Here in Japan absolutely nobody. Same in the US, I can think of friends and relatives who've studied at Ivy league institutions, they know nothing about IC. At best they'd have heard of LSE, that's not because LSE is the best thing since sliced bread (which it is, of course), but rather because it's easier to forge an international reputation in the social sciences, especially if you've trained something like 30 world leaders, inc. a US president.

As for MIT, it's far better known, it's academics are a constantly recipients of Nobel Prizes, it's funding is colossal. You cannot compare it with IC, unless you're only looking at the broad area covered. Overall, MIT's Economics department is far more famous than the entire Imperial Coll, probably has as many Nobel Prizes too. Also, the institution is way way way more selective, particularly at graduate level where it attracts the most brilliant people in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah MIT outranks IC anytime.
    Nothing against IC though, Im going there next year lol.
    But just saying..
    My cousing got accepted to IC, Cambridge and MIT.
    He turned down IC and Cambridge and went to MIT.
    Havent heard of many people rejecting an offer from Cambridge
    (for science) and going somewhere else..

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.