The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ctenses
I'm slightly confused about what A2s imperial want? On their website they seems to say they want 3 sciences to A2 but in the paper prospectus it just says 2 science A2s and then another to AS level? Can anyone shed any light on this? I really want to apply there but i have A* bio, A chem and A history at A2 and the A in physics AS soo :s-smilie:

I see why you're confused - the website says the same thing, but the wording is somewhat awkward.

"The minimum entry requirements for this course are three A-levels, including Chemistry and/or Biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS-level. If either Chemistry or Biology is offered alone at A-level, then the other is required at AS-level with at least a grade B."

= At least 2 sciences at A2. One of which must be Biology or Chemistry, with both being taken at AS in any case. Biology Maths French A2, Chemistry AS = yes. Chemistry Maths Physics A2, French AS = no.

You're subjects are absolutely fine :yep:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Blatant Troll
I see why you're confused - the website says the same thing, but the wording is somewhat awkward.

"The minimum entry requirements for this course are three A-levels, including Chemistry and/or Biology and one science or mathematics subject, and one additional subject at AS-level. If either Chemistry or Biology is offered alone at A-level, then the other is required at AS-level with at least a grade B."

= At least 2 sciences at A2. One of which must be Biology or Chemistry, with both being taken at AS in any case. Biology Maths French A2, Chemistry AS = yes. Chemistry Maths Physics A2, French AS = no.

Thanks definitely going to apply there now :smile: fingers crossed for the BMAT!
I am an international applicant from Singapore applying this year. Hope I can be successful and study in Imperial! Currently
Mugging for my BMAT..
Hey there, for current Imperial students who did 4 A levels, I know the minimum entry requirements are AAAC does that mean someone who is doing maths, chem, bio and physics can get the C in chemistry and the 3 As in Maths, psy and bio ?
Original post by Jasmine_777
Hey there, for current Imperial students who did 4 A levels, I know the minimum entry requirements are AAAC does that mean someone who is doing maths, chem, bio and physics can get the C in chemistry and the 3 As in Maths, psy and bio ?

That's correct - in Imperial's case, they do not specify what grades the subjects should be in - unlike some other medical schools. So its a great uni to apply to if you're doing 4 A2 subjects :smile:
Original post by purplefrog
That's correct - in Imperial's case, they do not specify what grades the subjects should be in - unlike some other medical schools. So its a great uni to apply to if you're doing 4 A2 subjects :smile:

Wow, seriously! Never met an Imperial medic who's got a B/C in Chem, Bio at the end of A2 though so they obviously are good at picking their candidates :tongue:
So... I might not drop my 4th subject then...need to tell my school this week. Ty :smile: Did you do 4 A2s and apply to Imperial ? (AFAIK, you go to UCL - saw on UCL thread :tongue: )

Ooh and what about UCL AAA_ ? Pass I think? But I'm guessing they specify ...
are 4 alevels compulsory? my fourth is general studies :frown: the rest 3 are sciences two of them A*s and one A. Do you think they will still consider me?
Wow, seriously! Never met an Imperial medic who's got a B/C in Chem, Bio at the end of A2 though so they obviously are good at picking their candidates :tongue:
So... I might not drop my 4th subject then...need to tell my school this week. Ty :smile: Did you do 4 A2s and apply to Imperial ? (AFAIK, you go to UCL - saw on UCL thread :tongue: )

Yeah, I did 4. It was pretty relaxed for a2 considering i knew ni could get a C in any of my subs :smile: bio, chem, math, physics.
Go for it if you're prepared to work hard.. not really necessary though. Also you would probly get more a*'s if you do 3 than if you do 4.
Original post by ninjaturtle
are 4 alevels compulsory? my fourth is general studies :frown: the rest 3 are sciences two of them A*s and one A. Do you think they will still consider me?

No, not compulsory.
Reply 89
Original post by Blatant Troll
Speaking as a third year that did Biology, Chemistry, French & Psychology I can assure you that you're not wrong!

There's some great advice to be found on this forum, but be wary of people that chat crap (there are many!).

I got AAAB in my AS year. Should I drop the idea of applying to Imperial? :confused:
I guess everyone applying there would have 4A's at AS.
Original post by englishman129
Yeah, I did 4. It was pretty relaxed for a2 considering i knew ni could get a C in any of my subs :smile: bio, chem, math, physics.
Go for it if you're prepared to work hard.. not really necessary though. Also you would probly get more a*'s if you do 3 than if you do 4.

So the C could be in chem and the AAA in bio, maths + psychology?... wow, I find that rather strange but I think it'd be worth taking it in case in trip up in chem... as I usually do -_- thanks :smile:
Has anyone heard of someone who was predicted 3A*s + and because of that got an offer above AAAC/AAAb?
So the C could be in chem and the AAA in bio, maths + psychology?... wow, I find that rather strange but I think it'd be worth taking it in case in trip up in chem... as I usually do -_- thanks :smile:

Yep, you could get C in Chem :smile:
Original post by Notsocleverstudent
Has anyone heard of someone who was predicted 3A*s + and because of that got an offer above AAAC/AAAb?

I was predicted 5a*. Got the same standard offer. Not heard of anything as well.. Doubt it would happen.
Original post by NeemSingh
I got AAAB in my AS year. Should I drop the idea of applying to Imperial? :confused:
I guess everyone applying there would have 4A's at AS.

As long as you got predictions of AAA for a2 you should be fine. I would apply if I was you. Blatant troll, who you quoted can probably add more.
Yep, you could get C in Chem :smile:

woww, ... haa, anyone you know of who actually got below an A in chem/bio ? I doubt it :tongue:
woww, ... haa, anyone you know of who actually got below an A in chem/bio ? I doubt it :tongue:

Lol impy medics = a*/a
Lol impy medics = a*/a

haha thought so. but what about the 4th subject, any Bs?

I applied to UCL, ICL, KCL and B'ham last year. I took 4 subjects and in the run up to my interview I emailed ICL to confirm what you were asking and the reply was "as long as your subjects meet the grades required in any combination, you will be admitted to the A100 course." I was hoping to have ICL as a handy insurance as I too was fretting about chemistry!!

UCL only ever give AAA offers regardless of how many A2s you take. They even discourage applicants from taking more than 3 if it detracts from their overall performance. And UCL specify AAA with As in Biology and Chemistry. And yes, I do go to UCL :smile: Just thought I'd answer your post
Reply 99
Is a high BMAT score, above that of the cut-offs, looked at as a decider between applicants? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending