Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

For those of you who want to study in the US I want to ask you a very important question: How the h**l you prepare for the SAT I ? Do you prepare by yourself or do you attend any courses? I really need some info, and I'd appreciate any help. Telephone numbers of companies and tutors etc etc. (Just except Kaplan, as I know that their course is 700 quid).

Many thanks in advance,

Regards, Kiril.

ReputationRep:
    hi =) I studied using books (some kaplan books included, but not their classes), and i think they're quite enough.

I found that sat 2 isn't a problem since we usually take the subject at school. i had lots of problems with sat 1 verbal *thank god it's over!!* (especially since english isnt my native language). hmm.. best to read a lot of books (e.g jane austen books: full of sat vocabs!) to increase you vocab, and do practice questions --> use '10 Real SATs', it's quite useful. good luck!

ReputationRep:
    i used the barron book for the SAT2s...they were alrite....

ReputationRep:
    I took a course that my school arranged, but it wasn't really worth the cost. The best way to study is just to go through the books, and do a couple of practice tests. If you want to look online, go to www.review.com, which is the Princeton Review's web site.

What year are you entering uni? Its a bit late for 2004

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all, you've been great.

No I'm going next year but a goot SAT prep takes a lot of time, and now that I have some spare cash I need to know what am I gonna need for the prep before that money flies away for something else.

English isn't my native language either. So Kosine, would you be that kind to tell me how you learnt the vocab apart from reading books - e.g. memory cards or something else?

Thanks all.

P.S.: I also think SAT II is ok, but SAT I Verbal is probably the only exam in my life I think I'm not gonna do good at.

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    hey =)

i did some kind of vocab mind maps. i put words that have similar meanings in one large groups and memorize their general meaning. and then, connect this group with another large group which is the antonym, etc.

also, know words that come from the same root; some parts of these words are similar to each other and have similar meaning. This helps you decode the meaning of a word. oh, also know the meaning of suffixes and prefixes.

(somehow, memory cards dont work for me , it really depends on each person, just try different methods and pick the best one)

still, the verbal part also has reading sections, so reading is still on top of the list

ReputationRep:
    Learnt tons of vocab, did tons of practice tests. Also there are many techniques you can use. Our school paid for us to take the Princeton Review Course and that helped loads. The hard word paid off. I got a 700 on my vocab.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.