Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i think its the
    'i have a dream' by martin luther king

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by love_4_ducks)
    i think its the
    'i have a dream' by martin luther king
    Yes, I really think MLK's "I had a dream" speech takes some beating. Probably, for rhetoric and passion some of Hitler's speeches were a lot more powerful but as I don't speak any German I really couldn't say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What's wrong with the 'sunscreen' speech?

??????

ReputationRep:
    The one that went into the song Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen).

Can't remember who did it.

o yer, i still think mlks speech

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes, I really think MLK's "I had a dream" speech takes some beating. Probably, for rhetoric and passion some of Hitler's speeches were a lot more powerful but as I don't speak any German I really couldn't say.
    Why must you bring Hitler into nearly every conversation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Haha... You are right llama boy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever mentioned Hitler at all but please feel free to draw my attention to any specific posts.

I brought Hitler into this particular thread because his extraordinary skill as an orator is widely acknowledged and as we are talking about great speeches thought it a valid contribution.

So what's your problem?

ReputationRep:
    I liked Kennedy's...

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you- ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man."

Martin Luther King's speech was great though.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever mentioned Hitler at all but please feel free to draw my attention to any specific posts.

I brought Hitler into this particular thread because his extraordinary skill as an orator is widely acknowledged and as we are talking about great speeches thought it a valid contribution.

So what's your problem?
    I think Howard is right. The Nazi's came to power in Germany because, partly, of Hitler's excellent skills as an orator.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry; must be just my impression.

ReputationRep:
    The soliloquy at the end of Dr Faustus - quite simply, wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry; must be just my impression.
    What? You got the "impression" that I bring Hitler into every thread? How odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    The soliloquy at the end of Dr Faustus - quite simply, wonderful.
    The greatest speech, simpy was, "Look guys, don't arrest me, it's not my car, honest" - Quite simply the most funny, memorable quote ever by Arfano K Hussain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    The greatest speech, simpy was, "Look guys, don't arrest me, it's not my car, honest" - Quite simply the most funny, memorable quote ever by Arfano K Hussain.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    What?
    Don't worry, you'll know about it one day.

ReputationRep:
    Error.
    It was the most memorable quote of all time, in my view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    It was the most memorable quote of all time, in my view.
    As you will.

ReputationRep:
    The one that went into the song Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen).

Can't remember who did it.
    Baz Luhrman...same guy who directed Moulin Rouge...just a bit of random trivia i know

Marc Antony's oration at Caesar's funeral.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Marc Antony's oration at Caesar's funeral.
    Except that wasn't a real one - that was Shakespeare. He wrote a few good ones

My favourite film one at the moment is "I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails; when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship. An hour of woes and shattered shields when the world of Men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day, we fight!"

Followed, shortly afterwards, by the shortest but most moving - "For Frodo."

Obsessive, moi?

Anyway, back to real life - I'd say some of Churchill's speeches in the war "We will fight them on the beaches..." "...If the British Empire last a thousand years, men will still say 'This was their finest hour.' "

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.