Turn on thread page Beta

I am fed up with the useless teaching of computing at my college!!!! (haywards heath college). I do computing and I am predicted a B, but I will never get it! I am doing bad at this subject when i should be doing really well, I came into the course already able to program, in 3 languages!!!. But it is just the teachers are so under qualified. coughJON AIRDcough. I have done my documentation and coursework no problem but its unit one and unit two that I am worried about!

Mate sounds like you are doing ok!!!!
    I'm doing Computing BUT they put me in a ICT set for a laugh. Then i found out that my timetable was split between two teacher. One who knows about computing and another that dost know s**t. Then, the one that doest know s**t leaves, and i get a new teacher.....who is a f**king electrician/mechanic whos just "filling in".
    I have two years of programming experience in basic and C++
    but that aint gonna help me pass the exam an learn all this really irrelevant s**t.
    I hope u do well m8. Peace out.

My new motto: "You can always retake"

lol i like that motto. i have been telling myself that.

Who said computing A-level was a programming A-level? Whoever did was wrong.

totally right, computing is boring and crap!

Yeah never take computing it's total bollox

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i'd have to agree

Nobody'll ever get a job in computing either. All the computer jobs are going to China, Russia and India, where labour is cheap.

R

DAME RITE ITS CRAP....only when the teachers make it crap!

I think you're being a bit harsh there.
    I've learnt quite a lot from my computing lessons.. the stuff that I've learnt helps me view part of computers in different ways..
    I work for a local computer firm, and ive also been a programmer for a professional software firm coding Delphi and ASP since I was 15. There is always something to learn about computing, so don't think you're going to just breeze through it. Revision is the key. I know i sound like a bit of a tard, but it's true.

Just remember, it's computing, not programming. Altho I do hear that A2 computing will have a lot of programming in it, so dont give up yet!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    I think you're being a bit harsh there.
    I've learnt quite a lot from my computing lessons.. the stuff that I've learnt helps me view part of computers in different ways..
    I work for a local computer firm, and ive also been a programmer for a professional software firm coding Delphi and ASP since I was 15. There is always something to learn about computing, so don't think you're going to just breeze through it. Revision is the key. I know i sound like a bit of a tard, but it's true.

Just remember, it's computing, not programming. Altho I do hear that A2 computing will have a lot of programming in it, so dont give up yet!
    For modules one and two, you don't really need any teaching. Anyone with a moderate level of intelligence could probably get a good A by reading the text book, examiner's reports and doing past papers. After all, the stuff is not complicated, it's all definitions. As long as you learn the definitions as the examiners expect them, i.e. don't over-complicate, or start thinking you know better (which you may well do), then I can't see what the difficulties could be.

For the A2 examined modules, someone with programming experience, as yourself, should be capable of also teaching themselves. Again, it's mostly definitions and very basic programming.

Just remember, you've got loads of time in the exams, so write as much as you can! Cover every possible base, but DON'T contradict yourself!

Good Luck,

Richard Hayden.

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Yeah never take computing it's total bollox
    I'll second that

ReputationRep:
    Quote From Unregistered "DAME RITE ITS CRAP....only when the teachers make it crap!"

Well, my module 3 teacher is useless, thats why the UKAB is so hard for me, but the others are o.k, and thats why im doing better in these.
    If colleges employed competant teachers, it would be an easy course.

ha! you think you got it bad!
    we have two teachers, one who is on death's door, and the other who, wel...
    hes a pedo, got arrested like 5 monthas ago from making the bloody pictures, sick f**k! then we got a nother nearly dead techer who dint mind we slept in the class, who then ran away. now we have a guy who let us play collapse II (excellent game - look @ www.gamehouse.com) who is not helping us with out CPT2 at all
    right now the old guy is helpin sum ppl with their retake of CPT1, and leaving us to post random and pointless, yet informative threads on this excellent site

peace out

Remember, your tutors can't force you to learn. At A Level the majority of material should be revised and researched thoroughly by yourselves.

You're not babies anymore - if you want an A, you'll get it, whether you've got a crap teacher or not.

It's down to you, folks.

i suppose i should be on an A grade with the teacher ive got.Hes called Derek Christopher and he wrote a book on Visual Basic , but hes a complete prick.Hes racist and only helps certain people.None of my class like him and im sure none of the college would.Cant wait till next year when i never have to look at his book or crappy VB program again.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.