Mirena Coil at 20?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I would be so grateful if someone could help me with this!

I have had very painful and irregular periods for years now and saw a gynaecologist who suggested I have a mirena coil fitted. He said this would be better than the pill since I suffer from severe headaches. But when I went to my GP to discuss a fitting she said that the mirena coil may not be a good idea since she doesnt have much experience in someone of my age (20) having it and that it's really for older women who have had children.

She suggested I try the combined pill again (an ultra low dose one) but I have been on it for a month and have had TERRIBLE headaches and nausea the whole time and have felt severely depressed and teary. I am considering trying the mirena coil but my GP doesn't seem too confident about fitting it for me.

Anyone here of a similar age with no children who has a mirena coil? What are your experiences with it? Also, what made you choose it over other forms such as the combined pill?

Thanks for reading!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Anyone?
dani_88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Young people can have the coil. Quite a few of my friends have it. If you go to a family planning clinic they'll be much more experienced at fitting the coils than your GP (by the sounds of it) and will be able to give you some good advice and perhaps even offer you some other options as well. Your GP might only do a few coils a month whereas the doctors at the family planning/brook clinics will do hundreds every month so will be a lot more experienced with the fitting and dealing with younger peoples fittings etc.

I'm having the coil fitted next month. I am a mess on the pill and I don't want kids within the next few years so i figured why not! I can't comment on whether or not it hurts. My friends say it did hurt.. although one of my friends said the most painful bit was having the speculum put in, so if you're used to that it might not be so bad?

I'm sure there's people on here that have had a coil fitted though and will be along to answer you shortly
Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Like dani_88 said, a family planning or sexual health clinic would be a better place to go when it comes to things like this.

I'm also 20, with no children, and I have a copper coil, which is slightly different to a mirena coil as it contains no hormones at all. I had it fitted in January of this year. The process of having it inserted can be a bit uncomfortable at times but it feels more like period pain than anything else. It hits you in waves as they're stretching your cervix and passing the coil through, but it's bearable and it's more than worth it.

I had a lot of bleeding to start with, but after that had settled down, everything has been absolutely fine you don't even know it's there, it's definitely one of the best decisions I've made.

I chose the copper coil over mirena because I didn't want to be adding any more extra hormones into my body. I had been on the pill for years, didn't feel too well on any of the ones I tried and I was generally fed up of feeling 'different' to how I usually do. Also, not having to remember to take a pill is an added bonus.

I hope this helps, and good luck with whatever you decide
RetiredAccount89
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I have had very painful and irregular periods for years now and saw a gynaecologist who suggested I have a mirena coil fitted. He said this would be better than the pill since I suffer from severe headaches. But when I went to my GP to discuss a fitting she said that the mirena coil may not be a good idea since she doesnt have much experience in someone of my age (20) having it and that it's really for older women who have had children.

She suggested I try the combined pill again (an ultra low dose one) but I have been on it for a month and have had TERRIBLE headaches and nausea the whole time and have felt severely depressed and teary. I am considering trying the mirena coil but my GP doesn't seem too confident about fitting it for me.

Anyone here of a similar age with no children who has a mirena coil? What are your experiences with it? Also, what made you choose it over other forms such as the combined pill?

Thanks for reading!
Seen plenty of younger women have it generally for heavy bleeding.
However the headaches you describe send alarm bells when it comes to combined oral contraceptive but am not aware of it being an issue with mini pill.

Perhaps you may want to ask about Cerazette (progesterone only pill)
ellaluscombe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hello,

I am 21 and had the mirena coil fitted two weeks ago. I also went to the gynaecologist and they said because of my very heavy and painful periods that the merina coil would be the best option for me as it may eventually stop my periods altogether. I was unaware until they fitted it that it is mainly for wowen who have had children and having it fitted was probably the worst pain I have ever been in. I am still in quite a bit of pain every day and I have not stopped bleeding since i have had it fitted. I am going back to my gp later on today to find out if i have an infection or if there is anything i can do about the pain.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had my copper coil fitted at 21. As others have said, go to a contraception and sexual health clinic. You'll probably find them more helpful in fitting the coil and they may also be able to suggest alternatives. (the nuva ring might be worth trying)

I won't lie, it did hurt to have fitted, and its probably easier in that sense to have had children, but it was like a very bad period pain and wasn't anything I hadn't experienced before. If you already have painful periods then the pain probably won't be unfamiliar and it should help in the long run.
College Lass
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
HI I had it fitted at 21 by my GP surgery , a little pain to start with, after a few days I was ok, had a couple of period then ive had nothing for years, you don't even know it fitted now. I like it good for the old sex life, BF cant feel anything different
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm 28 so a bit older than you but I haven't had any kids. I got the copper coil fitted at my local family planning clinic a few moths ago, the doctor there actually recommended Mirena coil to me but I decided not to go for it as it can stop your periods and I wanted to keep them so Id have the reassurance I wasn't pregnant. I wanted to go for a coil as it's highly effective and I don't have to remember to take anything everyday. The fitting for the copper coil is the same as for Mirena, I had the same experience as kabloomybuzz it felt like very bad period pain (I used to suffer with them badly as a teen so although it wasn't pleasant it wasn't anything I hadn't experienced before) . It is usually easier and less painful to fit a coil in a woman who has given birth vaginally. Apparently it used to be the case that they wouldn't fit you with a coil unless you'd already had children first (the nurse at my GP practice tried to convince me that this was still the case whilst I had no problem at all with the family planning clinic being willing to fit me with one so I recommend you try your local one or the Brook).
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've had it fitted early this year and it was painful. I can't say much for experience as I've had it taken out after two weeks as it moved. from what I hear though, it suits some more than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ColouredTights
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks for reading!

Hey!

I'm 19 and have just had the copper coil fitted so yes both the mirena and copper coil can be fitted in young women. For me it wasn't really that painful but for others who haven't had children yet it can hurt quite a lot.

It is also understandably more difficult to fit in women who have not had children. As there can be complications if fitted incorrectly I would suggest finsing a doctor who feels comfortable to insert them in someone like you.

Good luck, I hope this helped!
Posted from TSR Mobile
username1257205
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm 19 years old, had mine fitted a few days ago. It was a painful experience (which apparently lessens with age and when you have children) I had it fitted because I can't take pills due to being sensitive to the hormones. The Mirena is a hormonal coil, but the hormone levels are so low it's much better for me. Apart from waiting for the pain to settle (it's bearable now, but as I say only had it a few days) I'm very happy with it.
Tiahrose09
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi I am 22 and have had the mirena coil for 2 years now. I had it fitted because of the same sort of situation as you, they do say you are not allowed to have it unless your older and have children. I do not have kids and I was 20 when it was fitted so not older either. I was told that was the only contraception I was allowed because nothing else would work. So maybe they feel like they have other things that will work for you, but if it don’t then fight your corner and tell them you need it as it’s done the best for me. Good luck and I hope it gets sorted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (42)
13.04%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (88)
27.33%
I'm a bit unsure (57)
17.7%
I'm finding things difficult (110)
34.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
7.76%

Watched Threads