The Student Room Group

Should I do 5 As levels ??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JackBarrell
woah this is creepy, i look at this thread, and i am in EXACTLY the same situation as you!, exact subjects! haha, and i too am not sure about taking 5! btw my results weren't as good as yours... close, but not as good..
i managed to get A* chemistry, A Maths, A Physics, 2 A's ICT, (only posted relevant ones, and i didn't revise, (which i regret) and my maths & physics were both 1 mark off A*)

anyway, i'm thinking the same as you, im prepared to give up social life & revise for like 2 hours everynight from when i start! im hoping to do a physics degree at uni, judging by your options you might be aswell?

i think you should definately take 5, my thought is that after a year ill drop one if its too much..

Ah thats cool to know someone else is doing the same :smile: I really into Physics and Maths so probably yeah. and that sucks about maths and physics! I remember during one of the modules i got really annoyed because of that too :L
Reply 41
Original post by Rohaan
Ah thats cool to know someone else is doing the same :smile: I really into Physics and Maths so probably yeah. and that sucks about maths and physics! I remember during one of the modules i got really annoyed because of that too :L

yeah im getting my maths remarked, but not bothering with physics...

so that means i got 4*'s 5A's 3B's (if the maths goes up to A*)

which isnt as good as yours.. seriously regret not being bothered enough to revise haha
I`m also considering doing 5 a-levels (my results wern`t as good as yours and different subjects but its similar) and I think as long as you put the effort in, you will be fine.
Reply 43
yeah im getting my maths remarked, but not bothering with physics...

so that means i got 4*'s 5A's 3B's (if the maths goes up to A*)

which isnt as good as yours.. seriously regret not being bothered enough to revise haha

Lol im gunna be honest with you now, if i had properly revised i could gotten near all A* except for the language of course... i hate welsh. I remember for Maths i did 2 Hours of revision the night before :L No word of a lie! I was so confident the night before that ill pass with flying colours because its my best subject but then i saw a past paper and i **** myself :L Shows even a little revision can get you far!
Reply 44
Original post by Rohaan
Lol im gunna be honest with you now, if i had properly revised i could gotten near all A* except for the language of course... i hate welsh. I remember for Maths i did 2 Hours of revision the night before :L No word of a lie! I was so confident the night before that ill pass with flying colours because its my best subject but then i saw a past paper and i **** myself :L Shows even a little revision can get you far!

sooooooooooooooooooo
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
i probably did 3 hours in maths, but i'm really bad at revising.. and i've never done homework, and rarely listen in class, so i was SOOO lucky lol...

and I could have A*'d most of my subjects, but i suck balls in english :/

omg you and i are like the same person! :P I thought i really sucked at english. i mean really sucked. I had 4 C's, a B and a D for the coursework and i was predicted B B in my exams. And i really thought i screwed up in the exams but when i got my results, i was so frickin happy! My teacher was close to tears because she didnt expect it at all! And you need to learn some revision techniques then my friend. I'd explain mine but most people hate it cus all i do is read it and then do past papers :L
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Lol, I like how your doing/done 5AS but are advising against it. Somthing go wrong?

lol how du know what I did. :wink2:
I only did it bcoz my college made us do all our AS exams in the summer and we didnt have any exams in january so I had a free month so I did AS maths (unit 1 aN 2) privately, but assuming you do exams in Jan- it'll only put more pressure on you, and it'll ''dilute'' your performance. I did end up doing reasonably well on it, but actually I wouldn't have minded not doing it at all because I'd rather have done Unit 1 of my subjects in Jan to begin with, bcoz there wud have been less to revise for and wud have been able to revise more for unit 2. The less exams you have to deal with at one time the better.

So basically: ___Quality>Quantity___
That, and uni's don't give a crap. (unless you're doing an engineering course in which case you may have further maths as a seperate subject, but I still count that as ''maths'')

and yes if you have read up on my posts something did go wrong, but it actually wasnt specifically becoz I did 5 :yep:
Reply 47
Original post by Rohaan
omg you and i are like the same person! :P I thought i really sucked at english. i mean really sucked. I had 4 C's, a B and a D for the coursework and i was predicted B B in my exams. And i really thought i screwed up in the exams but when i got my results, i was so frickin happy! My teacher was close to tears because she didnt expect it at all! And you need to learn some revision techniques then my friend. I'd explain mine but most people hate it cus all i do is read it and then do past papers :L

i got A/A* in all the coursework, but i majorly F*cked up one of the exams lol...

but im not bothered, never have to do it again... & my only revision was doing past papers in class...

do you have facebook? might need someone like you to help me get through my courses.. lol
Reply 48
i got A/A* in all the coursework, but i majorly F*cked up one of the exams lol...

but im not bothered, never have to do it again... & my only revision was doing past papers in class...

do you have facebook? might need someone like you to help me get through my courses.. lol

Lol yeah I do :smile: I'll send it through a message :smile:
I've never seen the point of people doing 4+ AS levels or doing any more than 3 A levels. By doing extra work you are risking dropping grades in your other subjects. A*AB is better than AABB, and you gain no advantage for doing more than 3 A levels in total.

But at the end of the day it is up to you, and if you believe you can handle it, then go for it. You could always drop down to 4 AS levels if you find throughout the year the work load is too much. I cannot stress enough though how important it is to keep on top of your work, and do not under estimate A levels.
Reply 50
Original post by MissClumsy
I've never seen the point of people doing 4+ AS levels or doing any more than 3 A levels. By doing extra work you are risking dropping grades in your other subjects. A*AB is better than AABB, and you gain no advantage for doing more than 3 A levels in total.

But at the end of the day it is up to you, and if you believe you can handle it, then go for it. You could always drop down to 4 AS levels if you find throughout the year the work load is too much. I cannot stress enough though how important it is to keep on top of your work, and do not under estimate A levels.

I can understand this concern and I know it's a worry but I am already planning ways in which to revise for each subject, how much extra I will do etc etc I'm Not going to underestimate at any costs
Reply 51
Original post by MissClumsy

Hey. You say that 3 A levels is all you need. I am thinking of dropping one subject but don't know what. Would a rather get an A in a "soft" subject or a B in a more respected subject. Please visit this link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1747132

Help is apprecited
Reply 52
hell yeah go for 5! I did and no regrets!! in twenty years time you will be more dissappointed by the things you didnt do than the things you did do.

I know people that did nothing during study breaks and still got into medicine??? so annoying
Hi,

I am in exactly the same opinion. I don't know whether to do 5 As or not. I think I will regret it if I didn't give it a go. What is the Uni's point of view on this? Do they treat you differently if you have attempted to do 5?
Reply 54
Original post by Simonthegreat
Hi,

I am in exactly the same opinion. I don't know whether to do 5 As or not. I think I will regret it if I didn't give it a go. What is the Uni's point of view on this? Do they treat you differently if you have attempted to do 5?

Yes they treat you with respect (if you don't mess up) and you regret what you haven't done. Not what you did
Reply 55
If you feel you can cope with the load, then by all means go for it. But it's certainly not neccessary.
Reply 56
Original post by Cambridge_lad
Wow 6 A's is impressive and time for sport.. nice! Is general studies similar to Critical Thinking (which is what they offer at my school).

It's similar in that no universities will include it in an offer, but i think that critical thinking would probably be more useful, especially for subjects like history and english for which you have to use analysis, although i could be wrong, never having done it myself. General studies is just a test of how well you can bluff your way through an exam.
Reply 57
Uni's only need 3 to be honest.
Those are great results!!!
But 5? not too sure because no doubt your results are great but are they great enough for 5 As/a2 ? I don't know!
It also depends what 5 subjects you chose!

Hope I helped and good luck with what ever you choose to do.
Original post by Rohaan

I will be doing 5 A-Levels in September (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Computing, Electronics). My aim/goal is to study Physics/Computer Science at Oxford so you are in a similar boat to me.

I think it all depends on how you organise your time. I'm making many sacrifices; not getting a job, not learning to drive etc. I also don't go to many parties, so I find myself with a lot of spare time, as a result I feel I can handle all 5 and hopefully get at least 2 A*'s (Maths and Physics).

I've asked a lot of people (undergraduates at Oxford, teachers etc) and they all say that it's very tough but doable if you put the effort in.

Many people in this thread are explaining how universities only care about 3 subjects, so there's no point in taking 5. It's true if you want to apply to a normal university, they will only look at the best 3. However, Oxford (and Cambridge) aren't normal. They want people who stand out; there are many ways you can do this, one of which is to take a lot of A-Levels to show your passion for learning. At Oxford/Cambridge you will get a lot of work, more than any other university, this means you have to be able to cope with large amounts of work; taking 5 A-Levels will show you are capable of doing that.

Also, you can just drop a subject if you're finding them hard... may as well give it a shot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Sagacious

Many people in this thread are explaining how universities only care about 3 subjects, so there's no point in taking 5. It's true if you want to apply to a normal university, they will only look at the best 3. However, Oxford (and Cambridge) aren't normal. They want people who stand out; there are many ways you can do this, one of which is to take a lot of A-Levels to show your passion for learning. At Oxford/Cambridge you will get a lot of work, more than any other university, this means you have to be able to cope with large amounts of work; taking 5 A-Levels will show you are capable of doing that.

Also, you can just drop a subject if you're finding them hard... may as well give it a shot.

You see that's what I mean! Oxford and Cambridge do want five! My friends brother did 5 and he got 5 a* at a2 and he got onto oxford. I will make the same compromises because at the end of the day, to get into Oxford, it is what I want. I don't drink or party, if I ever want to go out, in sure one in a while wonthurt, or evenfuring frees :smile: thankyou, this has been the most helpful yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest