For people that did Chem, Physics, Further Maths and Maths at A-Level

Watch this thread
Dharp
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Sorry Someone else did this and instead of hijacking there thread thought it would be more appropriate to do my own
Especially people who have done/doing Further Maths

Anyway, If you did Chemistry, FM, Physics and Maths, I wish to know:
Subject(s) - Which out of the 4 subjects did you do?
Personal Experiences - How did you find it, did you enjoy it?
Regrets - Do you have regrets about the subject(s)?
Grade - What grade did you recieve on the subject(s)?
Overall tips for the subject(s)
Revision - How did you revise for the subject(s) and did it help you? Also revision tips

Thank you for all your help
EmilieTheGreat
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dharp)
Sorry Someone else did this and instead of hijacking there thread thought it would be more appropriate to do my own

Revision - How did you revise for the subject(s) and did it help you? Also revision tips

Subjects: I did maths, fmaths and physics (of those).
Personal Experience: Physics was boring as heck. But that was the teacher more than anything!! I really enjoyed maths, but further is a huge step up in terms of difficulty.
Regrets: None.
Grade: 3As (In AS).
Overall tips: For physics, make sure you understand what's going on, not just what you're doing. The questions will be all about applying what you've learnt to brand new situations! For maths and f.maths, the basics (differentiation and integration especially) have to be right before you try the harder stuff! It is a bit easier to get by in maths (IMO) because all of the questions follow a similar structure and method. Fmaths is a step up, but you should be able to get a good grade if you work hard.
Revision: For physics I wrote lots of notes, lots of times. For maths...past papers and example questions. There is no better way!
lollington-mccoy
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I want to do chemistry but I hate experiments, are there many experiments (it's not like i need to decide now, I'm in year 10)
ALevelGirl
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Yeah someone asked a similar question just yesterday and heres what i told them (minus the biology advice)

Ive just finished AS:

Did Bio, chem, phys and maths for AS.

I found maths and chemistry quite enjoyable and got to grips with them quite easily (but thats only because i liked the subjects)

I never liked physics so honestly - didnt really try to work for it.

I regret taking physics as it was a total waste. i didnt enjoy the subject so i shouldnt have taken it. I already had 3 science subjects, there just was no need.

I had AAAB in my AS grades (biology, chem, maths and physics respectively)

MY TIPS:

Chemistry: Understanding is also key in chemistry. Understand reactions, procedures etc. Learn formulas you need to know and do loads of practice on the maths involved.

Make a list of all the definitions you need to learn and start learning them early,. You dont want to be learning them all the night before the exam (again, kinda what i did)

Maths: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Thats all i can say. Go home and do loooaaadss of exercise questions to understand how to tackle questions and build up your confidence and speed. Another thing would be to start past paper questions as early as late october/november.

Its understandable that you might not be able to do the whole paper as some of it you wont have learned by that time but its still very good practice and it'll help you get familiarised with the paper and the timings (especially important if your doing Jan exams)

And speaking of past papers, do the same for chemistry and biology!! The mark scheme will become your best friend in the 2 years your going to do your A levels as its vital to understand what the examiner is looking for (i.e key words in biology and the number of decimal places to give an answer to in chemistry)

Hope you understand everything i mean. And good luck for you A levels.

(Ps - as you can see i havent given any physics advice. Thats because i have no clue what i did in it last year )
sappleby
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Subject(s) - Chem, FM and Maths to A2 and Physics (AS)
Personal Experiences - Loved Chemistry and Maths, Hated Physics with a passion and like some bits of further maths but had no idea about other parts of it.
Regrets - Had to focus on another subject (biology) to get the grades needed for uni so my chem grade was lower than it should have been.
Grade - A* Maths, A Chem, B Further Maths and Physics
Revision - Sciences, revise throughout the term so then when it comes to the exams you don't need to do much, just a past paper and look through the text book. Maths + Further, Do past papers, doing anything in the textbook won't help in the real exam, just do all the past papers and you'll be fine
Dharp
Rep:
Positive Rep for you all and thank you
Sufian_TRP
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Thanks guys found this really useful.
wasting-time
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Subject(s) - Chem, Phsyics, Maths, doing further maths AS this year
Personal Experiences - science is the only subject I would ever study, enough said really. I love all of them (plus Biology even though it's not on your list) despite having lots of incompetant teachers :P people who say Physics is boring don't now what they're on about tbh lol
Regrets - none
Grade - all As at AS, i'm doing the A2s this year
Revision - I rarely do work outside of school. I spend my time reading science books and researching areas of science I find interesting. I have found this far more useful (especially in Physics) than spending my time reading the rubbish AS textbooks.
wasting-time
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lollington-mccoy)
I want to do chemistry but I hate experiments, are there many experiments (it's not like i need to decide now, I'm in year 10)
Don't mean to be mean but science is about experiments. I wouldn't worry about not enjoying them now as I thought i was rubbish at practical work when I started year 12 and now I enjoy it most

watch out for the chemistry ISAs though, they can be a ***** regarding grade boundaries
Jtking3000
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dharp)

Subject(s) - Which out of the 4 subjects did you do?chem,phys,maths.
Personal Experiences - How did you find it, did you enjoy it? Was alright, AS was more boring than A2 imo.
Regrets - Do you have regrets about the subject(s)? nay.
Grade - What grade did you recieve on the subject(s)?A*A*A*
Overall tips for the subject(s)Do as many questions as you can.
Revision - How did you revise for the subject(s) and did it help you? As above and also try to learn the syllabus, go through your revision material a few times.

In bold.
Topaz_eyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dharp)
Subject(s) - Which out of the 4 subjects did you do? I did all four to full A level and Biology AS in year 12.
Personal Experiences - How did you find it, did you enjoy it? I enjoyed Maths, Further Maths and Physics but I didn't enjoy the Chemistry course (OCR Salters B) that I did.
Regrets - Do you have regrets about the subject(s)? No, I'm glad I picked those ones, I just wish my school had done a different Chemistry course!
Grade - What grade did you recieve on the subject(s)? A*'s in Maths, Physics and Further Maths and an A in Chemistry.
Overall tips for the subject(s) - Keep on top of the work and do lots of past papers, especially for maths.
Revision - How did you revise for the subject(s) and did it help you? Also revision tips. I used revision guides and did loads of past questions.
^Answers are in bold.

Why the neg rep? :/
OMGWTFBBQ
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Subjects - All of them.
Personal Experiences - To varying extents. Hated Chem but coasted it. Physics was disappointing, far too little maths. Maths + F. Maths were brilliant though.
Regrets - I regret the lack of Maths content in Physics. I regret that Physics contains Medical Physics.
Grade - A*A*A*A in Maths, F. Maths, Physics, Chemistry
Tips - Chemistry just learn and regurgetate. You don't really need to apply much knowledge. Learn your mechanisms.
Physics make sure you're doing maths. Don't neglect learning off the essays - even those that seemingly have nothing to do with Physics - as you still get marks for them.
Maths - pay lots of attention during Core 3, particularly trig calculus. You'll need to be very familiar with it for FP2 next year. Oh - and definitely sit Maths in year 1, and F. Maths in year 2. Doing Maths A2 and F. Maths A2 in one year is a bad idea.
Revision - Chemistry, I neglected to revise. I just coasted the exams with residual knowledge. Physics, learn your essays off by heart. You shouldn't need to revise any maths or equations as most of the equations are given in the formula book and you should be taking Maths and therefore be able to perform basic algebra.
You don't need to worry about revising C1, C2, S1, M1, FP1. You need to pay lots of attention to C3, FP2, M2, M3, S3. Pay some attention to C4, S2.
The only way to revise maths is to bit one billion past papers. Just do every past paper you can find until you get 98 to 100 consistantly.

Best of luck.
physicsfuntimes
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
All four. Plus biology. I wouldn't recommend biology.

LOVED the maths, all of it. Mechanics was top, followed by C3, C4 and FP2. Chem was alright but I had a good friend. I found it interesting when we learnt it but quite dull going over and over for revision, and oh dear god the synthesis... I had to work hard at it. Physics is my love. To be honest though, A level physics isn't that great. It hinted at greater things and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in at uni

Not really. Maths and physics - couldn't have been happier. I just enjoyed them a lot. Chemistry, harder work because I didn't seem to think the right way, but got there in the end. Would've probably dropped it if I didn't have a friend helping me throughout

A*A* maths f.maths AA physics and chem.

Don't give up? It took me a lot longer than my mates, to be happy with a lot of the maths we did, I just went home and spent a couple of hours every now and again making sure I fully understood. And then when revising came round, I could remember a lot more than friends. Make sure your notes during classes are good! And if you find something complicated or tricky, work at it a while and when you come to revise it, it'll be a lot easier to recall. I found maths a real struggle at points but it's worth the effort, and the second and third time you revise or come across something, you wonder - how did I find this so hard the first time? And - ask the teacher if you're stuck!

All maths, just do as many papers as you can find, and if you do badly in one, leave it a couple of days then redo it til you can get 95%+. If you can't, find out where you're going wrong, perfect it, then try again. Boosts your confidence, you enjoy it more because you really do see the improvements, and you learn your weak points! Physics... past papers. Chem... I went through my textbook very closely and made notes on the wordy bits, or diagrams, and examples that seemed to come up a lot. You can condense most textbooks an awful lot. And write out all equations you will need and make sure you can use them all happily, for every subject.
username387126
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dharp)

Subjects - All of them
Personal experiences - Enjoyed Maths. Found Physics and Chemistry a bit boring
Regrets - Could have probably worked harder in sciences, as I was marginally off A*'s
Grade - A* Maths, A* FM, A Chem, A Physics
Revision - Maths: Questions and Past Papers
Sciences: Questions and specification
Dharp
Rep:
(Original post by physicsfuntimes)
All four. Plus biology. I wouldn't recommend biology.

LOVED the maths, all of it. Mechanics was top, followed by C3, C4 and FP2. Chem was alright but I had a good friend. I found it interesting when we learnt it but quite dull going over and over for revision, and oh dear god the synthesis... I had to work hard at it. Physics is my love. To be honest though, A level physics isn't that great. It hinted at greater things and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in at uni

Not really. Maths and physics - couldn't have been happier. I just enjoyed them a lot. Chemistry, harder work because I didn't seem to think the right way, but got there in the end. Would've probably dropped it if I didn't have a friend helping me throughout

A*A* maths f.maths AA physics and chem.

Don't give up? It took me a lot longer than my mates, to be happy with a lot of the maths we did, I just went home and spent a couple of hours every now and again making sure I fully understood. And then when revising came round, I could remember a lot more than friends. Make sure your notes during classes are good! And if you find something complicated or tricky, work at it a while and when you come to revise it, it'll be a lot easier to recall. I found maths a real struggle at points but it's worth the effort, and the second and third time you revise or come across something, you wonder - how did I find this so hard the first time? And - ask the teacher if you're stuck!

All maths, just do as many papers as you can find, and if you do badly in one, leave it a couple of days then redo it til you can get 95%+. If you can't, find out where you're going wrong, perfect it, then try again. Boosts your confidence, you enjoy it more because you really do see the improvements, and you learn your weak points! Physics... past papers. Chem... I went through my textbook very closely and made notes on the wordy bits, or diagrams, and examples that seemed to come up a lot. You can condense most textbooks an awful lot. And write out all equations you will need and make sure you can use them all happily, for every subject.
May I ask what you're studying at uni?
Dharp
Rep:
And thanks for the advice I'll pos rep when I can
Phenomenological
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Did all four at AS, dropped chemistry for A2 because the course was too much rote learning and too little thinking so I didn't enjoy it at all. Shame really as I like chemistry itself and would have enjoyed learning more of it. Came out with an A at AS.

Physics was a bit bland for me because I knew half of the course from background reading in earlier years and I found the rest of it far too easy, to the point where I did about two hours revision total across BOTH years and just missed the A* by a few marks because I was lazy about the coursework.

Normal maths was fine, didn't much like C3 trigonometry but other than that I laughed my way through it. Ditto the applied modules, I did M1 M2 S1 S2 and D1 between both maths subjects, all of which were pretty easy. FP1 was alright apart from induction which seemed a bit irrational to me and I didn't get along with. Came out of normal maths with a very high A*.

FP2 and FP3 however I did NOT enjoy one bit. I'm more of a practical person and they are very theory based, there's absolutely no context to any of the information you're given and I have extreme difficulty learning things without context. For example I find mechanics easy because I can relate all of the information to real world problems and think them through. None of the information you learn in said pure modules is given any context at all, it's just a list of numbers and techniques, so I despised every second of them. I still came out with an A in further maths but only because I did well on the applied modules, I got a low A in FP2 and a high C in FP3. Not my style of learning at all.

If I could go back to the start of A levels I'd probably add DT as a fifth AS so I had a practical subject as I was a bit bored of all the theoretical aspects by the end, and science experiments are always a bit naff at this level. I also would have dragged myself through A2 chemistry and possibly A2 DT as well depending on whether I enjoyed the AS, as with a bit of extra effort I could have come out with some spare knowledge. But no real regrets about my choices, despite the frustration of the FP modules.

The only tip you need, work throughout the year. If at the end of a class you don't thoroughly understand something, work at it for a few days till you do. You don't have to work hard, just a little a day. I left it all to a few weeks before the exam and it was stressful. Don't do it.

Revision isn't a word I'm particularly familiar with. As noted above I did almost literally nothing for physics, and for maths I just crunched through the better part of 100 past papers. Works for me, may not for others. Hope that helps in some way.
FALCONSFURY
Rep:
Report 10 years ago

Chemistry and Maths

Chemisrty: Easy at frist, but i slipped behind me tragets, so i had to work really hard but got stcuk on C greades whenever i did past papers and mocks - which is very demoralising.

Maths: Easy, all year round

No.

Chemistry A(87% UMS) Maths A(93% UMS) both at AS level only

Practice Practice Practice For Maths: All questions in you issued textbook + Alll past papers + Some solomon press worksheets and exam practice papers=SUCCESS

Chemistry: if your exam board is Edexcel Read the "Gorge Facer AS chemistry textbook" COVER TO COVER

Chemistry: Read a chapter or topic and do questions from the book about it + notes from Boradworks powerpoint presentations + read CGP textbook + paster paper.
Have short a sweet Flash cards for generic equations (metal + acid blah blah balh) and formulas

Maths: More questions you do the better you'll get - Simplicio.

Hope i was helpful
Dharp
Rep:
Again thanks for all the replies guys
cheesecake11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
suscribing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
16%
The paper was reasonable (194)
48.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.5%

Watched Threads