The Student Room Group

How much to fix gap tooth?

It's not really big, but I was put onto the NHS waiting list (supposedly) only to find out they 'forgot' to refer me, the waiting list is 9 months and it looks like i'll be 18 then, so no longer able to qualify for free dentistry. So anyway, how much approximately would it cost to straighten and close the gap between my front two teeth? I'll go to a private clinic if it won't be too expensive, but they wanted £90 just to check it out :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its Priceless :smile:
"Alyssa, I'm sorry I called you a gap-toothed bitch. It's not your fault you're so gap-toothed"
Reply 3
Original post by michaelhaych
"Alyssa, I'm sorry I called you a gap-toothed bitch. It's not your fault you're so gap-toothed"

LOL
Reply 4
you've been a member of TSR for 12 years now????!!!! :O wtf?! O_o...you joined when you were 6/7? O_O *doesnotcompute*..... ok back on topic, yhh i reckon £90 is a pretty generous offer their asking for
Reply 5
I'm 17 and on the waiting list for braces. They said they moved me to the top of the list and hurried it along because I'm so old and they have to do it before you're 18. I'll still be getting treatment etc afterwards. Are you sure there's no way you can get it free with the NHS? If it's braces you need, then you're looking at at least a couple of thousand. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by pandaboo92
you've been a member of TSR for 12 years now????!!!! :O wtf?! O_o...you joined when you were 6/7? O_O *doesnotcompute*..... ok back on topic, yhh i reckon £90 is a pretty generous offer their asking for

When you go anonymous, the date changes to 1999. :smile:

OP, use your grans dentures :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Dusty12
I'm 17 and on the waiting list for braces. They said they moved me to the top of the list and hurried it along because I'm so old and they have to do it before you're 18. I'll still be getting treatment etc afterwards. Are you sure there's no way you can get it free with the NHS? If it's braces you need, then you're looking at at least a couple of thousand. :s-smilie:

Oh, thanks! I'm 17 too. When will you be 18 and how long have you been on the list? I'm angry because I was told I'd been referred until my mother checked and they said they'd forgot, and they'd do it soon. I'll be 18 in April next year.
The gap will reform after you take your braces of so there's not point of getting it fixed now. Source? Myself as I'm in similar situation.
Reply 9
I'm gap toothed too!

Except I fell on my face and broke both my gap-teeth in half so now half of my gap teeth are fake so I don't think I can get braces any more. Plus im 18 now so at least i wouldn't be able to afford them anyway!

Reply 10
Original post by Stardust Mirage
The gap will reform after you take your braces of so there's not point of getting it fixed now. Source? Myself as I'm in similar situation.

Didn't you wear retainers?
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Oh, thanks! I'm 17 too. When will you be 18 and how long have you been on the list? I'm angry because I was told I'd been referred until my mother checked and they said they'd forgot, and they'd do it soon. I'll be 18 in April next year.

Not that long. Last summer I changed dentist and this one actually agreed that I really need braces. (I have a 'fang' tooth.:frown::frown::frown: ) I paid £80 for a quicker private appointment in the middle of this academic year. This was apparently utterly pointless, because I have another appointment next month that seems much the same thing. After that though, I think they'll start the actual dental work. I've only been on the list for a year at the most, and I live in an area with an average 7+ years waiting list, so they really have speeded it up. My friend is 17 too and after being on the list for 5 years they suddenly realised he's nearly 18 so he's getting them soon too.

One thing though, once you go to the appointment with the ortho, make sure you seem really distressed about your teeth! My friend got his braces slower because "the patient does not appear to feel that the state of his teeth worry him" or something. :lolwut:

Next appointment I'm going to cry to get the sympathy vote. I really don't want braces at university.
I thought you had to be 19 to no longer qualify for free dentistry?
If I'm wrong theres a form you can get from the dentist if your a full time student to fill out so you don't have to pay full prices, ask them about it.
Reply 13
Original post by Dusty12
Not that long. Last summer I changed dentist and this one actually agreed that I really need braces. (I have a 'fang' tooth.:frown::frown::frown: ) I paid £80 for a quicker private appointment in the middle of this academic year. This was apparently utterly pointless, because I have another appointment next month that seems much the same thing. After that though, I think they'll start the actual dental work. I've only been on the list for a year at the most, and I live in an area with an average 7+ years waiting list, so they really have speeded it up. My friend is 17 too and after being on the list for 5 years they suddenly realised he's nearly 18 so he's getting them soon too.

One thing though, once you go to the appointment with the ortho, make sure you seem really distressed about your teeth! My friend got his braces slower because "the patient does not appear to feel that the state of his teeth worry him" or something. :lolwut:

Next appointment I'm going to cry to get the sympathy vote. I really don't want braces at university.

But it really does distress me, that's the thing, it really affects my confidence a lot and I could cry about it. That's why I'm so angry they didn't bother telling me they forgot to refer me as I thought I had waited for 4 months, so I thought there was only 5 more months to wait. My dentist told me that if I had a private appointment that I had to pay for the dentistry privately, and not via the NHS? Whereas the private dentist told me they could see whether I qualified once I paid £90 for my assessment. Either way one of them is lying :/

Original post by booooooooom
I thought you had to be 19 to no longer qualify for free dentistry?
If I'm wrong theres a form you can get from the dentist if your a full time student to fill out so you don't have to pay full prices, ask them about it.

Here's hoping! Anyone know?
Reply 14
But it really does distress me, that's the thing, it really affects my confidence a lot and I could cry about it. That's why I'm so angry they didn't bother telling me they forgot to refer me as I thought I had waited for 4 months, so I thought there was only 5 more months to wait. My dentist told me that if I had a private appointment that I had to pay for the dentistry privately, and not via the NHS? Whereas the private dentist told me they could see whether I qualified once I paid £90 for my assessment. Either way one of them is lying :/

Here's hoping! Anyone know?

It distresses me too! I just thought in my first appointment there was no point wailing about it. Now I regret that because I really did feel like crying at the time. It's awful, isn't it?:frown:

In my case, they said that I could pay my £80 for a (supposedly quicker) private consultation, and I'd be under no obligation to continue with private treatment after if my teeth were bad enough to qualify for the NHS. I'd assume it's the same for you hopefully?
Reply 15
Original post by Dusty12
It distresses me too! I just thought in my first appointment there was no point wailing about it. Now I regret that because I really did feel like crying at the time. It's awful, isn't it?:frown:

In my case, they said that I could pay my £80 for a (supposedly quicker) private consultation, and I'd be under no obligation to continue with private treatment after if my teeth were bad enough to qualify for the NHS. I'd assume it's the same for you hopefully?

Haha, we have a lot in common! I thought I'd play it cool, and act normal when asking for a referral, which my dentist originally declined, until my mother went over stating how distressing I found it. Some people have told me it would be £2,000, and others £600 :s-smilie:

I'm Welsh and I'm doing MFL too btw :smile:
Reply 16
It's not really big, but I was put onto the NHS waiting list (supposedly) only to find out they 'forgot' to refer me, the waiting list is 9 months and it looks like i'll be 18 then, so no longer able to qualify for free dentistry. So anyway, how much approximately would it cost to straighten and close the gap between my front two teeth? I'll go to a private clinic if it won't be too expensive, but they wanted £90 just to check it out :s-smilie:

I had a 4mm gap between my two front teeth, and some minor issues with the lower set. It cost about £2100, and 15 months of braces to get them sorted. However, I had the more expensive white brackets (they aren't anywhere near as visible on your teeth), which added £400 to the bill.

I'm not certain, but I think any treatment started before you're 18 is free, for as long as it takes to fix them. It might be worth begging/pleading/at least asking them to move you up the list, to see if you can get going, and get it for free. Good luck! :smile:

(And as for the person that said the gap just comes back- that's true if you don't get retainers, and wear them!)
Reply 17
Original post by alexss
I had a 4mm gap between my two front teeth, and some minor issues with the lower set. It cost about £2100, and 15 months of braces to get them sorted. However, I had the more expensive white brackets (they aren't anywhere near as visible on your teeth), which added £400 to the bill.

I'm not certain, but I think any treatment started before you're 18 is free, for as long as it takes to fix them. It might be worth begging/pleading/at least asking them to move you up the list, to see if you can get going, and get it for free. Good luck! :smile:

(And as for the person that said the gap just comes back- that's true if you don't get retainers, and wear them!)

15 months to close a small gap? Why so long? :redface:
Reply 18
Haha, we have a lot in common! I thought I'd play it cool, and act normal when asking for a referral, which my dentist originally declined, until my mother went over stating how distressing I found it. Some people have told me it would be £2,000, and others £600 :s-smilie:

I'm Welsh and I'm doing MFL too btw :smile:

Really? Great, we can wallow in the misery of our bad teeth together!:tongue:
Is your nearest orthodontist in Camarthen by any chance? Even though I live hours away, they're the ones everyone in my town has to go to and the waiting lists are so huge because of it. They definitely are moving 16/17/18 year olds up the list though, so at least that's good. =S

The ortho told me that it would be £2,500 for the 'Damon' brand braces that look less ugly and work quicker. Apparently they're the ones he used to give everyone for free, but now has to use worse ones because of budget cuts.:frown:

A gap is probably easier to fix than my horrible snaggletooth though. i don't think you'd have to have braces for very long.:smile:

Also it's comforting knowing I'm not the only one depressed about my teeth and braces. :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Dusty12
Really? Great, we can wallow in the misery of our bad teeth together!:tongue:
Is your nearest orthodontist in Camarthen by any chance? Even though I live hours away, they're the ones everyone in my town has to go to and the waiting lists are so huge because of it. They definitely are moving 16/17/18 year olds up the list though, so at least that's good. =S

The ortho told me that it would be £2,500 for the 'Damon' brand braces that look less ugly and work quicker. Apparently they're the ones he used to give everyone for free, but now has to use worse ones because of budget cuts.:frown:

A gap is probably easier to fix than my horrible snaggletooth though. i don't think you'd have to have braces for very long.:smile:

Also it's comforting knowing I'm not the only one depressed about my teeth and braces. :redface:

Unfortunately not, I'll either be referred to Swansea or Bridgend! I really don't mind paying, as I'm really desperate, but my mother isn't willing to foot the bill (we're a single parent family and she earns very little), which is understandable so I'd have to struggle to pay for them myself, which is why I'm so desperate to get them on the NHS.

Quick Reply

Latest