This discussion is closed.
fivebyfive
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Hi,

I am taking a gap year next year and applying to uni in that time. I will be doing a BA in Human Geography. I am in the process of writing a rough draft for my personnel statement. I am thinking of taking up some sports to make personel statement more interesting, maybe surfing as its kind of unusual. Any suggestions in how I can improve my personnel statement in my gap year?

Thanks
FivebyFive
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fivebyfive)
Hi,

I am taking a gap year next year and applying to uni in that time. I will be doing a BA in Human Geography. I am in the process of writing a rough draft for my personnel statement. I am thinking of taking up some sports to make personel statement more interesting, maybe surfing as its kind of unusual. Any suggestions in how I can improve my personnel statement in my gap year?

Thanks
FivebyFive
I wouldn't do anything just to improve your personal statement, though if there are any sports, areas of work or charity which interest you. Depending on what sort of gap year you take work/travel, there are lots of oransisations which will help you plan something really interesting which looks good on your cv.

I suppose it would be possible to take up an interesting sport which would help interviewers to remember you as a candidate, but you should'nt base your entire decision on that. As long as you take up something you enjoy and can talk about it enthusiastically at the interview it should'nt matter exactly what it is.
fivebyfive
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
I wouldn't do anything just to improve your personal statement, though if there are any sports, areas of work or charity which interest you. Depending on what sort of gap year you take work/travel, there are lots of oransisations which will help you plan something really interesting which looks good on your cv.

I suppose it would be possible to take up an interesting sport which would help interviewers to remember you as a candidate, but you should'nt base your entire decision on that. As long as you take up something you enjoy and can talk about it enthusiastically at the interview it should'nt matter exactly what it is.
Thanks for your help, i am going to have to have a talk with Connexions and see what they can suggest. Can you think of any other organistations that maybe able to provide me with some help?

Thanks
loftx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fivebyfive)
Thanks for your help, i am going to have to have a talk with Connexions and see what they can suggest. Can you think of any other organistations that maybe able to provide me with some help?

Thanks
I can't think of any organisations apart from connections / tutors who will be able to give you a genera idea of what's avaialable, but once you've narrowed down what you want to go have a quick search on the net. There seem to be loads of organisations who organisge gap years and you should be able to find something to suit you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (172)
24.86%
Better than expected (144)
20.81%
Worse than expected (376)
54.34%

Watched Threads