The Student Room Group

Painful Periods & The Pill

Heeey,

I posted a thread a few days ago about being really depressed on and off and mentioned that for the last year or so I've been experiencing really bad period pains. I used to get them when I first started, 5 or 6 years ago & then they stopped (the pain, not the periods!!) but now they are back again, only worse! I went to the Doctor's about them years ago & he suggested that a method of calming down period pain was going on the pill. I decided against it at the time because I felt I was too young (I was 13) so he prescribed me some pills that I took a week before my period was due.... these didn't seem to work but then of course, my periods got better in time. I've always been regular, so that's not a problem- except when I'm stressed about something then they are maybe a few days late. Okay, so to cut to the chase, does the pill stop period pain as well as making them more regular? I was thinking of going on the pill anyway because I don't feel 100% safe relying on my boyfriend using a condom.....

Any helpful advice is appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Going on the period will definately make your periods regular, as you should have a period every time you finish a pack. As for period pain, I found taking the pill did help a bit, but I still get stomach cramps that I have to take painkillers for. But the effects can vary from person to person so you might find that your period pain does settle down.
I found that the pill (microgynon 30) worked really really well for period pains. Mine were never terrible, but I needed painkillers every month, and they weren't exactly pleasant. Now I get twinges and occasionally need an ibuprofen, but they're practically gone! :biggrin:
Plus I know exactly when my period will start!
Reply 3
i used to have really really bad period pains, to the point that i couldn't stand up straight. now, however, i am on the pill and they are a million times better. of course, the pill took a bit of time to get into my system properly, and only after having taken it for 3 months has it actually done any good, but it's been worth the wait.
i also take a small cocktail of painkillers also prescribed by the doctor to help too, but this time i didn't really have to take many..

so yeah, definately a good idea! :smile:
Reply 4
I take the pill for painful periods and it has made a big difference. Also they are lighter and very regular which is a bonus!
Reply 5
I started the pill (Microgynon 30) last month because of painful periods. My periods have always been dreadful: I've had the most crippling pain imagineable which has left me in tears in the past, it has always made me feel dizzy and sick and for the last year or so I found the pain of my periods upset my stomach and gave me diarrhoea. I'm now having my second period since starting the pill and it's heavenly! I've had some pain but I haven't needed painkillers for it (I used to need at least 3 ibruprofen to ease it and it still wouldn't go away fully). Plus my period is a LOT lighter which is fantastic. :smile: The only slightly annoying thing is that the period lasts longer. My last one lasted about 9 days, but towards the end it wasn't really a proper period, it was more of a slightly bloody discharge. I have no idea if it will be the same this time round because I had only just started taking the pill when I had that period, but I'll soon find out.

I definitely recommend going on the pill. Apparently it can increase the risk of breast cancer but personally I'm more at risk of ovarian cancer (we've had it twice in the family) and since it decreases the risk of that then it's best for me. It can worsen your skin as well, but I've always had crappy skin and since I'm taking medication for that then it's not a huge deal for me.
Reply 6
:ditto:
one of the reasons I went on the pill, aside from the obvious contraceptive benefits, was because I used to suffer from 8 or 9 day long, rediculously heavy and painful periods. Not only was this costing me a small fortune on tampons and towels every month it was also a huge hassle, especially once I started uni. I went on the pill about a year ago and my periods are now only 5 days long and I only need one dose of painkillers a day, whereas before I was frightened about what all the painkillers I was taking were doing to my insides!

--------------

elbow_fan
I started the pill (Microgynon 30) last month because of painful periods. My periods have always been dreadful: I've had the most crippling pain imagineable which has left me in tears in the past, it has always made me feel dizzy and sick and for the last year or so I found the pain of my periods upset my stomach and gave me diarrhoea. I'm now having my second period since starting the pill and it's heavenly! I've had some pain but I haven't needed painkillers for it (I used to need at least 3 ibruprofen to ease it and it still wouldn't go away fully). Plus my period is a LOT lighter which is fantastic. :smile: The only slightly annoying thing is that the period lasts longer. My last one lasted about 9 days, but towards the end it wasn't really a proper period, it was more of a slightly bloody discharge. I have no idea if it will be the same this time round because I had only just started taking the pill when I had that period, but I'll soon find out.

I definitely recommend going on the pill. Apparently it can increase the risk of breast cancer but personally I'm more at risk of ovarian cancer (we've had it twice in the family) and since it decreases the risk of that then it's best for me. It can worsen your skin as well, but I've always had crappy skin and since I'm taking medication for that then it's not a huge deal for me.

I think maybe your period was longer because your body is getting used to the pill. Hopefully next time you will find it's shorter! :smile:
Reply 7
See that is what I am weary of, cos my mum has had breast cancer & there is a history of different types of cancer in the family. But my periods are so bad. I've made an appointment to see a GP tomorrow & spoke to a nurse on the phone today so hopefully I will get it sorted!

I have heard that some types of pills are more geared towards stopping painful periods but does this make it any less effective as a contraceptive?
I wouldnt have thought so, but you had better ask your GP to put your mind at rest.

My periods took years to settle down after starting the pill, buy boy am i glad they have!! As mentioned, everyone is different and of course you doctor will know whats best :smile:
Reply 9
My period used to be sooo heavy so I went on the pill (microgynon 30) and although it really calmed my period flow down, it didn't help period pain much. I came off it last june coz I wanted to see if it would improve and I didn't have a period till october!!! I was so worried at the time but figured it was just my body trying to get used to not being on the pill. I've had two or three periods since I came off the pill anyway, and they seem to be much better (although still very painful!). I take painkillers for stomach cramps now, and it's fine. The worse thing about the pill is it makes you put on weight. Has anyone else found this?
That's what I'm dreading! I'm already big enough, I don't want to put any more weight on.
Wow, you poor things! I've had period pain, but I'd never have considered it so bad that I would have to take painkillers for it. For some reason, it used to be worse for the first few years, maybe up to age 12 or 13, and now I don't really get any, although it does vary quite a bit from month to month.

My mother says, 'You won't get fat on the pill if you don't eat like a pig', but then she does love being insensitive, and I think it would vary from person to person. Has never done anything to me. Better being fat than pregnant, anyway!
I just remembered that the pill has stopped me gettin PMS as well. I used to get soooo emotional before my periods, literally bursting into tears at the smallest things. And now that's completely stopped too, extra bonus again!
Reply 13
Bottekrank
The worse thing about the pill is it makes you put on weight. Has anyone else found this?

This is the thing which most worried me, but I don't think I've put any on. I think the key is lots of exercise. I eat loads of junk but my weight seems to stay down because I walk to and from college every day and then go for a walk with my dog in the evening.

Latest