The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Msc International Management

Does anybody know when applications open for this course or other masters!?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 61
Dentistry here :biggrin:
Reply 62
Wow everyone seems so bright! I'm only on aabbc! But it should be ok, I'll get AAA this year :smile: What is everyone aiming for?
Original post by Lollyage
English Language and Communication here :smile:

Me too! What are your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? And what subjects do you take? I'm getting nervous because I don't know if I have a chance! :s-smilie:
Applying for Maths and Physics here!
Reply 65
Original post by Domidomidomiii
Me too! What are your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? And what subjects do you take? I'm getting nervous because I don't know if I have a chance! :s-smilie:

Predicted grades are A*AB in English Language, Psychology and Maths respectively :smile:

I can't believe they have raised the entry requirements to AAB, it was BBB just 2 years ago ffs :angry: I'm kinda nervous too because almost all my unis now want AAB :s-smilie:
How about you? :smile:
Original post by IloveIt
I'm applying for Nutrition and Dietetics :smile:

Oh wow! me too!!! :biggrin:
Reply 67
Medicine EMDP programme here :smile:
Predicted grades are A*AB in English Language, Psychology and Maths respectively :smile:

I can't believe they have raised the entry requirements to AAB, it was BBB just 2 years ago ffs :angry: I'm kinda nervous too because almost all my unis now want AAB :s-smilie:

Have they raised the standard entry requirements to AAB for all courses? I'm applying for French this year and the requirements for the course were ABB last year, I believe. A couple weeks later I checked and it had gone up to AAB for 2012 entry. :confused:

Well done on your predicted grades, by the way! :smile:
Reply 69
I'm going to King's in 2012 to study History - I applied for deferred entry last year (as I'm taking a gap). I got the grades and now I'm getting excited about the prospect of being there, although I've got many fantastic things planned for the upcoming year. Anyway, my point is - I've been in the same position as all of you, really hoping to get in to KCL and considering my personal statement etc. So, if anybody wants any advice or reassurance in some way or another, feel free to send me a message and I'll have a chat. My GCSEs were not wholly impressive. My worst grade at AS was History. I still got the offer despite these things - I might be able to give you some help.

Ahh well done on your predicted grades! I'm predicted AAA in English Literature, Psychology, and Media. I made poor choices in year 11 and so am now doing Psychology in a year after dropping photography because it was a daft subject to pick. Also dropped Biology after AS. Wish I'd picked more academic subjects, but I guess the ones I'm doing now are related to the course? I hope they'll take me anyway! :s-smilie:

I thought exactly the same! Its annoying checking a uni website an seeing the entry requirements go up. :frown: What other uni's are you looking at? :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Auch
I'm going to King's in 2012 to study History - I applied for deferred entry last year (as I'm taking a gap). I got the grades and now I'm getting excited about the prospect of being there, although I've got many fantastic things planned for the upcoming year. Anyway, my point is - I've been in the same position as all of you, really hoping to get in to KCL and considering my personal statement etc. So, if anybody wants any advice or reassurance in some way or another, feel free to send me a message and I'll have a chat. My GCSEs were not wholly impressive. My worst grade at AS was History. I still got the offer despite these things - I might be able to give you some help.

Hello, Congrats on getting an offer for History at King's!!
I think I'm might apply for Politics at Kings but I'm applying for History and Politics elsewhere. Do you mind me asking what you got at AS/GCSE? I'm wondering if my grades are good enough as I got Bs at AS but will probably be predicted AAB? I know the History grades are like A*AA or something ridiculous so would be interesting to know. :smile:
Also, what did you talk about in your personal statement? Did you mostly talk about the course or did you speak about personal qualities/work experience much?
Thanks in advance!
I'll be applying for Philosophy! I know King's is uber-competitive, though, so I'm worried that my ABBB at AS will not be enough. I'll bump it up to AABB and should be predicted AAA at A-Level. This should be OK, shouldn't it? Provided I have a decent personal statement/reference.
Reply 73

I applied in 2009 and it was BBB. Now it seems to be AAB/pass for all courses at King's. It's such a great place though so it's worth putting in the work to meet the offer!
I'm applying for comparative lit!
But i probably wont get in, with predicted grades of 'only' AAB
its so unfair that i do hard subjects but if i had continued with politics i would have easily got the 3 A's.
kings is my highest uni choice anyway, along with sussex.
Reply 75
I'm applying to Kings for Politics, having already completed the first year of a History degree at St Andrews, but having dropped out.

GCSE: A* 5 A's 3 B's 1 D

AS: AAAA
A2: A* A* A A (A*'s in Politics and Modern History, A, Ancient History and General Studies)

I'm not sure how they'll view me having already been to and left a University (not due to academic failure), I'll be spending the year doing a bit of voluntary work etc. possibly going and working in refugee camps.
Biochemistry!
Reply 77
Hey guys, does anyone know what King's are like for GCSE's, I'm thinking of apply for History which is A*AA/B and I'm predicted A*A*A, its just my GCSE's aren't brilliant, but they don't list any specific GCSE requirements so if anyone could give me some advice that would be great..
Original post by rural_boy
Hey guys, does anyone know what King's are like for GCSE's, I'm thinking of apply for History which is A*AA/B and I'm predicted A*A*A, its just my GCSE's aren't brilliant, but they don't list any specific GCSE requirements so if anyone could give me some advice that would be great..

I didn't get the greatest GCSEs too compared to other people, but there were extenuating circumstances which I'm asking to be written about in my reference. I emailed KCL late last month about whether my GCSEs would be a hindrance and they replied with this:

Thank you for your email and interest in King's College London. To be honest, we are primarily concerned with the highest level qualification and therefore your A2 grades not your GCSE grades. The assessment of your application will be focused on your A2 and personal statement in the main, but all other information declared in the application will also have a bearing but to a lesser degree.

I'm applying for French and got 4 As at AS level and am predicted A*A*A at A2, so I'm hoping they will take that into account. History is a competitive subject, so if you're still unsure about your chances, I would email the history department and explain your situation if it assures you. Remember though, they'll be looking at the whole picture - PS, reference, achieved/predicted grades, etc. So while GCSEs are important, you can definitely make up for it in other areas, I think.

Hope this helps in some way. :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by SimplyComplex
I didn't get the greatest GCSEs too compared to other people, but there were extenuating circumstances which I'm asking to be written about in my reference. I emailed KCL late last month about whether my GCSEs would be a hindrance and they replied with this:

Thank you for your email and interest in King's College London. To be honest, we are primarily concerned with the highest level qualification and therefore your A2 grades not your GCSE grades. The assessment of your application will be focused on your A2 and personal statement in the main, but all other information declared in the application will also have a bearing but to a lesser degree.

I'm applying for French and got 4 As at AS level and am predicted A*A*A at A2, so I'm hoping they will take that into account. History is a competitive subject, so if you're still unsure about your chances, I would email the history department and explain your situation if it assures you. Remember though, they'll be looking at the whole picture - PS, reference, achieved/predicted grades, etc. So while GCSEs are important, you can definitely make up for it in other areas, I think.

Hope this helps in some way. :smile:

Yes this has been very helpful, so thank you very much! I've just emailed their history admissions department with my query, so I'll have to wait and see!

Quick Reply

Latest