Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This has bugged me for a while

Do UKL members who have broadband have the same problem as us dial up people with the server?

Please feel free to shout at me but I'm not that technologicly minded...

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)

Do UKL members who have broadband have the same problem as us dial up people with the server?

Yeh, it isn't anything to do with how fast your internet is, it's how many users are on the UK learning server.

ReputationRep:
    of course we do. The problem is purely due to the server bandwidth limitations or in this case the phyiscal connection from the server to the gateway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_gal)

Yes, exactly the same.

ReputationRep:
    yup and its just as annoying :mad:

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yes we do.

The problem lies in the lack of bandwidth of the server UKL is hosted on.

Users each take up some of this bandwidth, irrespective of their connection type. When there are too many users, everyone experiences problems.

ReputationRep:
    2nd that.

ReputationRep:
    do some members have higher prority than otheres? or is that not possible? i mean like the mods etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    do some members have higher prority than otheres? or is that not possible? i mean like the mods etc?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    i can't add so much more to what is already said but the only reason why i have it is because i can use the phone and be online at the same time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    No.
    can't the mods access the forum through the mod cp? or is it just a mod cp as the name suggests?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    can't the mods access the forum through the mod cp? or is it just a mod cp as the name suggests?
    I don't think so. Better pm one of the mods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I don't think so. Better pm one of the mods.
    but i assume the "mod cp" and the "admin cp" are different entities to the normal forum system, seeing as they have a different authentication system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    but i assume the "mod cp" and the "admin cp" are different entities to the normal forum system, seeing as they have a different authentication system
    Perhaps, but the mods still get affected by the exact same 'server busy' messages that normal members do.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    got broadband...sometimes get annoying 'server is busy' messages...p*sses me off :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)

yes the "mod cp" which super mod's access is compleetly seperate...and can be accesed when the server goes down...but the only way to access it, is through the site....so if your in there when the site goes down..your fine. if your not, were just as stuck as everyone else..

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    yes the "mod cp" which super mod's access is compleetly seperate...and can be accesed when the server goes down...but the only way to access it, is through the site....so if your in there when the site goes down..your fine. if your not, were just as stuck as everyone else..

love Katy ***
    Are you sure about this Katy? 'modcp' along with 'admincp' are just part of vBulletin, i.e. just some more PHP pages. As far as I'm aware they are all hosted on the same server and the only reason why they have dual-authentication is because d has protected their directories using HTTP authentication, as well as the standard vBulletin credentials, which are required to gain access to the actual vBulletin stuff after you've been HTTP-authorised to access the directory, in which they reside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Are you sure about this Katy? 'modcp' along with 'admincp' are just part of vBulletin, i.e. just some more PHP pages. As far as I'm aware they are all hosted on the same server and the only reason why they have dual-authentication is because d has protected their directories using HTTP authentication, as well as the standard vBulletin credentials, which are required to gain access to the actual vBulletin stuff after you've been HTTP-authorised to access the directory, in which they reside.
    sounds like goble-dee-gook to me :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.