This discussion is closed.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
This has bugged me for a while

Do UKL members who have broadband have the same problem as us dial up people with the server?

Please feel free to shout at me but I'm not that technologicly minded...
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yep.
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)

Do UKL members who have broadband have the same problem as us dial up people with the server?

Yeh, it isn't anything to do with how fast your internet is, it's how many users are on the UK learning server.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
of course we do. The problem is purely due to the server bandwidth limitations or in this case the phyiscal connection from the server to the gateway.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)

Yes, exactly the same.
lilmissnaughty
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yup and its just as annoying :mad:

xxx
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes we do.

The problem lies in the lack of bandwidth of the server UKL is hosted on.

Users each take up some of this bandwidth, irrespective of their connection type. When there are too many users, everyone experiences problems.
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
2nd that.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do some members have higher prority than otheres? or is that not possible? i mean like the mods etc?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Tinykates)
do some members have higher prority than otheres? or is that not possible? i mean like the mods etc?
No.
_EMMA_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i can't add so much more to what is already said but the only reason why i have it is because i can use the phone and be online at the same time
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
No.
can't the mods access the forum through the mod cp? or is it just a mod cp as the name suggests?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
can't the mods access the forum through the mod cp? or is it just a mod cp as the name suggests?
I don't think so. Better pm one of the mods.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
I don't think so. Better pm one of the mods.
but i assume the "mod cp" and the "admin cp" are different entities to the normal forum system, seeing as they have a different authentication system
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
but i assume the "mod cp" and the "admin cp" are different entities to the normal forum system, seeing as they have a different authentication system
Perhaps, but the mods still get affected by the exact same 'server busy' messages that normal members do.
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yep.
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
got broadband...sometimes get annoying 'server is busy' messages...p*sses me off :mad:
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)

yes the "mod cp" which super mod's access is compleetly seperate...and can be accesed when the server goes down...but the only way to access it, is through the site....so if your in there when the site goes down..your fine. if your not, were just as stuck as everyone else..

love Katy ***
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ickle_katy)
yes the "mod cp" which super mod's access is compleetly seperate...and can be accesed when the server goes down...but the only way to access it, is through the site....so if your in there when the site goes down..your fine. if your not, were just as stuck as everyone else..

love Katy ***
Are you sure about this Katy? 'modcp' along with 'admincp' are just part of vBulletin, i.e. just some more PHP pages. As far as I'm aware they are all hosted on the same server and the only reason why they have dual-authentication is because d has protected their directories using HTTP authentication, as well as the standard vBulletin credentials, which are required to gain access to the actual vBulletin stuff after you've been HTTP-authorised to access the directory, in which they reside.
TK
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Are you sure about this Katy? 'modcp' along with 'admincp' are just part of vBulletin, i.e. just some more PHP pages. As far as I'm aware they are all hosted on the same server and the only reason why they have dual-authentication is because d has protected their directories using HTTP authentication, as well as the standard vBulletin credentials, which are required to gain access to the actual vBulletin stuff after you've been HTTP-authorised to access the directory, in which they reside.
sounds like goble-dee-gook to me :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (167)
24.96%
Better than expected (138)
20.63%
Worse than expected (364)
54.41%

Watched Threads